Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

How much do headers/exhaust really improve performance?

Old 03-22-2012, 08:41 PM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

Default How much do headers/exhaust really improve performance?

Well, at about the end of May - it becomes mod time for me. I know I'm going to do a CAI and tuner (duh) - I really want to push my rear wheel horsepower over that 300 mark. I know I should be making about 296 after the tune (then again, those American Muscle videos don't specify auto or manual), and I was wondering how much of a gain switching to an off road X pipe REALLY gives.

I keep hearing mixed messages. For the record, my county doesn't do emissions testing, so I'm not worried about - well - any of those kind of regulations.

I should be doing my CAI + tune, headers and x pipe, and a clutch and short shifter by the end of summer.

Your thoughts?
Old 03-22-2012, 10:02 PM
BlackGT45th
2nd Gear Member

If you are doing long tubes you should jump the 300 mark with ease. Look at the midpipe as an influence on sound instead of performance. An offroad midpipe will help you gain some hp just for deleting the cats. It is more of what sound are you looking for, x pipes are raspy and h pipes are a deeper tone. What brands are you looking at?
Old 03-22-2012, 10:06 PM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BlackGT45th
If you are doing long tubes you should jump the 300 mark with ease. Look at the midpipe as an influence on sound instead of performance. An offroad midpipe will help you gain some hp just for deleting the cats. It is more of what sound are you looking for, x pipes are raspy and h pipes are a deeper tone. What brands are you looking at?
I was thinking Pypes for the x pipe, but now you have me thinking an H pipe might be better. I was also wondering - can I do BBK long tubes with say a Bassani H/X pipe?
Old 03-22-2012, 10:41 PM
BlackGT45th
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Young_Gun
I was thinking Pypes for the x pipe, but now you have me thinking an H pipe might be better. I was also wondering - can I do BBK long tubes with say a Bassani H/X pipe?
It just depends on what sound you are looking for, they will both sound great with the right parts to compliment them. I would suggest to try and match the brands of headers and x/h pipe(its what AM told me). If you are looking at some BBK lts you could check out AM or Brenspeed or whomever to find a combo. I think BBK only has an x pipe to match it though. If you were wanting to look at h pipes as well I'd take a look at the JBA Lts and offroad h pipe combo on AM. They aren't coated so that may be a concern. Its just lots and lots of searching. I guess thats a good thing though, more choices means more sound possibilities.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:12 AM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

How much of a difference does coating make?
Old 03-23-2012, 10:52 AM
Ford-a-tude
2nd Gear Member

I keep hearing mixed messages. For the record, my county doesn't do emissions testing, so I'm not worried about - well - any of those kind of regulations.

Your thoughts?
Maybe they don't test emissions where you live, but every time I hear that excuse I get aggravated! Do the car dealers subsequently sell vehicles without any emissions control in your county? Do you drive your vehicle in other counties where testing is required? Does the pollution from your vehicle go into the environment where it affects everyone?

Now from my experience, using an off road pipe actually made the car feel slower off the line. Lost some low end torque. Another thing I really did not like was sitting in traffic on a scorching hot day and smelling the stinky exhaust. It wasn't cool to smell like unburnt fuel all the time.

Sorry for the rant above, I realize you haven't decided what your going to do yet. I just don't think off road pipes really do much for anything except, well an off road race only car.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:24 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Longtubes made my car 2 tenths faster at the track. I really don't like the stink smell.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:36 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

N/A you are probably looking at 10whp from an O/R H and 20whp from LT headers... avg gain from a good full exhaust system is in the 25whp range.

I think the most I've seen from a bolt-on 4.6L was around 333whp. with LT headers, CMDPs, UDPs, driveshaft, and ofcourse a CAI. Kooks seemed to give the best gains on those engines.

Last edited by Mishri; 03-23-2012 at 12:39 PM.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:49 PM
adj86
2nd Gear Member

If your going with longtubes, you may find it difficult to mix and match mid pipes. Try to find a package that includes longtubes, mid pipe, gaskets, and bolts. You'll also need some 02 extensions as well. Depending on what brand of package you buy, they might not come with cats. If there isn't any emissions testing then that shouldn't be a problem, if there is emissions testing in your area then look for some high flow cats. Also make sure and prioritize you mod list. I would reccomned doing the CAI and tune first.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:19 PM
BlackGT45th
2nd Gear Member

How much of a difference does coating make?
They reduce underhood temps, ceramic being the best at doing so. They aren't necessary but are a good idea.

It has been said above but take into account how often you sit in traffic because of the smell. Personally it wouldn't bother me because I drove my '73 around for a few years (no cats) so I became accustomed to it. Keep us updated on your thoughts/plans.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How much do headers/exhaust really improve performance?