Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Should I get a Mustang?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 07:59 AM
GTjoe49
2nd Gear Member

Just to be fair, I'll list some of the negatives associated with owning a Mustang...

People constantly drool on your ride.
When you gas up, someone always asks, "What cha got under the hood?"
At car washes, females ask if they can help dry the car.
People constantly yelling "Light 'em up!"
Every time you walk toward your car, you get wood.
You get to hang around a forum like this one where you'll get to know some of the coolest car enthusiasts.
You get to drive an automotive icon.

I think I covered most of the negatives...lol

Get a "Stang and enjoy!
Old 03-30-2012, 08:40 AM
jtenos

Thanks everyone for the responses. I'm still a couple of months away from making a decision, but I'm definitely leaning in this direction. I'll keep my eye on the forum and I'm sure you'll hear from me soon, hopefully with some pics of my new GT.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:23 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

I'd say look for good premium models, the delux/extry models are just so boring looking on the inside (which is what we see 90% of the time anyways).

Now keep in mind that the newer Camaros, while equaly as impressive as the mustang visual and performance wise has terrible visibility and lots of blind spots. Something to think about if you drive in a lot of traffic and wanna maintain a clean driving record.

The Challengers, while also equally nice come up in the rear out of the 3 in the performance and MPG categories. They're just landbarges on wheels, the things weigh a metric ton and cost way too much for what they offer.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:35 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

performance wise, the Mustang and Camaro are very well matched, also in price.

if you wear a wife-beater and have a 80's mullet, get the Camaro.
otherwise, get the Mustang.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:15 PM
autos221
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jtenos
Obviously a loaded question for a Mustang forum...

I'm a 30 year old guy, and in the past I've always gotten normal (a.k.a. boring) cars, like a Nissan Altima or Mitsubishi Lancer. This summer I'll be getting something new, and I've really been considering getting something a little more fun, like a Mustang.

The thing is, I'm not really a car guy, so I don't really know how to intelligently shop for this kind of a car. I've been thinking about getting a red GT convertible. I want to have a car that's fun to drive, and one that people notice.

Can you guys give me a little insight to help me make this decision? I will be shopping around for a few other models, like a Camaro, Challenger, or maybe a few other models, so is there something concrete I should keep in mind that makes the Mustang a better choice? I want to keep price, mileage, and just overall style in mind when I make my decision.

Thanks from a possible future Mustang enthusiast...

Joe
Ewwww Camaros look out played and over rated. The challenger looks pretty badass but Ill stick to mustangs, to get the most get some cams and new mufflers and you will be the coolest kid on the block
Old 03-31-2012, 09:24 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

"Ewwww Camaros look out played and over rated."

DITTO

if you wear a wife-beater and have a 80's mullet, get the Camaro.
otherwise, get the Mustang.
I also have on of the new Challengers and that puppy is
big and comfortable but I really enjoy driving the Mustang
oh so more so. Its like driving a big ol go cart and the Chally
is more of a real fast grocery getter.

I get lookie loos and drooliers with either vehicle bout the same.
The Chally came OEM from the factory with most of the stuff the
Mustang didnt have or offer.

Check the Technical Service Bulletins on each model
you are looking at and see what MAJOR problems are
happening out there in the real world enough to warrant
a TSB on the subject.

Mustangs have a little bug in the seat dottom that bites you.
Its called a MOD bug. It will cause you to start spending $$
on things to personalize your stang and make it go faster,
corner quicker and look better doing it.

Last edited by 157dB; 03-31-2012 at 09:29 AM.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:36 AM
MoshpitMad
3rd Gear Member

Here's a good way to decide. Take a Saturday, and go drive them all. Seriously, every car you are considering...take for a test drive. You're gonna have to be an *** to the salesperson...act interested, drive it then explain you're looking at about 5 different cars, and you'll call them if interested. Just leave.

I bought my first domestic in over 12 years, and my first Mustang ever last October. I love it. I walk away from my car, looking back at it. I get so many questions and have so many compliments on it. It's a really interactive experience. It's not the same as any other car I've ever had.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:05 PM
fordplay
1st Gear Member

What 157 DB said... the camaro tsb list... over 50 or over 70 for a 2010 and 2 recalls, mustang is below 20 and no recalls , don't forget about the problems they won't tsb like the camaro steering wheel is angled toward the driver side .75 of an inch, then the convertibles and their laundry list of problems.. next stock for stock the mustang is faster, handles better, stops quicker, and holds its value better.. the only thing the camaro has is a bigger less effective engine, that makes 6 more HP in the manual car, unless you get the auto camaro than you get the truck motor... honestly test drive all 3 with an open mind the mustang will sell it self... that's what happened to me
Old 03-31-2012, 10:33 PM
smokievol
2nd Gear Member

If your looking at going for a new one, and you have been driving boring cars...The Mustang will blow you away.

I have a 2008GT and when I get in it, I feel like I have a full head of hair, my pop belly is gone, and damn there is a blonde DD sitting next to me:>

Make sure you have cash on hand, +10,000 into this 2008 already.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:50 PM
Rain
1st Gear Member

Welcome to MF, jtenos!

Like you, I am also 30 and bought my Mustang about 5 months ago. I finally wanted to spring for an American muscle car, which basically narrowed my decision down to the Camaro, Challenger or Mustang.

I crossed the Camaro off the list because:

1.) Though it definitely looks aggressive, there's just nothing beautiful to me about the body styling. As a lot of people will say, it's like looking at a full-size Matchbox/Hot Wheels car, or a Transformer, and I completely agree.

2.) There's not much interior space.

3.) It's not an easy car to get into or out of.

4.) As jthorn9 said, the visibility is bad, as are the blind spots.

I then crossed the Challenger of the list because:

1.) It cost more.

2.) It's a bit "bulky".

3.) It's lagging just a tad behind the Camaro and Mustang in performance.

For me, the Mustang was the best choice. It has the legacy/heritage in the name. Everybody knows the Mustang. Visually, I love the body style. It offers great performance for the price, and the aftermarket scene is huge and very helpful. The interior is spacious in the front, though can be a bit cramped in the back seats.

There are more Mustangs on the road than the other models, but that still doesn't stop people from gawking at your ride. It's a nice feeling to turn heads and watch people stare. I also noticed that other Mustang drivers wave or give the thumbs up in approval when passing by.

You can't really go wrong with any of those cars, but it's all up to you. Which looks the best to you? Which feels the best to you?

When you find a car that makes you smile just looking at it, you know you've found your answer.

Whichever you buy, definitely post some photos to show it off. And if you do buy the 'Stang, you'll find a great group of people on here to appreciate your ride and offer valuable advice.

Quick Reply: Should I get a Mustang?