Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Got an optima red top (pics)

Old 04-17-2012, 10:49 AM
3vStang
2nd Gear Member

Default Got an optima red top (pics)

Hey everybody, my battery was toast, and it was time for a new one. I researched a little and decided to give the optima red top a try.

Anyway, just a couple pictures if anybody was curious about fitment.

I had no trouble with install and it fits snug in the box width wise, its a bit shorter length wise though. As you can see the sleave that goes around the battery is a little loose, but its not a big deal. The crankin power on this battery is unbelievable.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:22 AM
300HorsesAndCounting

I wanted one of those after the battery went dead permanently after winter storage. However when i went to like 5 different auto parts stores they didnt have any and seeing as my stang was undrivable(battery lost its charging capacity) i just went with a diehard. If the battery wasnt in need of immediate attention I probably wouldve ordered one.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:52 AM
Toxix
2nd Gear Member

Whats the mileage like? (How far did the OEM battery get you?)
Old 04-17-2012, 12:59 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 3vStang
Hey everybody, my battery was toast, and it was time for a new one. I researched a little and decided to give the optima red top a try.

Anyway, just a couple pictures if anybody was curious about fitment.

I had no trouble with install and it fits snug in the box width wise, its a bit shorter length wise though. As you can see the sleave that goes around the battery is a little loose, but its not a big deal. The crankin power on this battery is unbelievable.
Look good man. I'm jealous. When the battery in my '06 died, I was flat broke so I just bought one at autozone. Of course, my racecar which never ever runs has a brand new Optima. I really need to reevaluate my priorities!

Anyway, have you seen UPR's S197 Optima mount?

http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-b...optima-05.html
Old 04-18-2012, 10:25 PM
3vStang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 300HorsesAndCounting
I wanted one of those after the battery went dead permanently after winter storage. However when i went to like 5 different auto parts stores they didnt have any and seeing as my stang was undrivable(battery lost its charging capacity) i just went with a diehard. If the battery wasnt in need of immediate attention I probably wouldve ordered one.
Ironically I got it a my local gas station for a couple $ cheaper than I found online.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:32 PM
3vStang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Toxix
Whats the mileage like? (How far did the OEM battery get you?)
Car has 33k. But it's not my DD, and it sits over the winter without a battery tender. I will disconnect the optima in the future when it sits though.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:35 PM
3vStang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by UPRSharad
Look good man. I'm jealous. When the battery in my '06 died, I was flat broke so I just bought one at autozone. Of course, my racecar which never ever runs has a brand new Optima. I really need to reevaluate my priorities!

Anyway, have you seen UPR's S197 Optima mount?

http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-b...optima-05.html
Lol, that's funny. And I actually have, it's a nice piece. I'm just taking a break with the mods....(for now) I'm looking at another bike.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:55 PM
07BLACKGT
5th Gear Member

Good choice! I am a huge Optima fanboy now. The factory battery is utter ****. By 50k miles, I couldn't listen to the radio for 5 minutes and expect the car to start. The car would sit overnight untouched in a garage and it wouldn't start the next morning. Also my headlights would dim when the bass (on the factory radio) hit.

Put an Optima yellow top in and the power is unbelievable. All problems fixed.. The starter sounds so lively and starts up fast. Optima is the way to go!
Old 04-19-2012, 06:26 AM
3vStang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 07BLACKGT
Good choice! I am a huge Optima fanboy now. The factory battery is utter ****. By 50k miles, I couldn't listen to the radio for 5 minutes and expect the car to start. The car would sit overnight untouched in a garage and it wouldn't start the next morning. Also my headlights would dim when the bass (on the factory radio) hit.

Put an Optima yellow top in and the power is unbelievable. All problems fixed.. The starter sounds so lively and starts up fast. Optima is the way to go!
I completely agree. I was doing some research before my purchase and was beginning to get a little skeptical of optima due to the large amounts of negative feedbeack. I tried it anyway though and couldn't be happier. My car was to the point I'd have to jump it every time I wanted to drive it. But bro that first start after I put the red top in, the car cranked like a monster.

I now turn the shaker off before I shut the car off because i heard, if left on, it can still somehow drain the battery even with the car off.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:57 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

gREAT.
wHATS THE PART OR gROUP # OF THAT THERE RED TOP?

fricken caps lock...

Yellow Tops are not for starting purposes and the life will suffer
from the instantaneous amp draws during starting.
Yellow Tops like to be fully discharged before recharging like trolling motors...
Not for starting vehicles...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Got an optima red top (pics)