Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Borla cat back exhaust help...

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 11:21 PM
-rpark-
1st Gear Member

Default Borla cat back exhaust help...

Finally got my Borla cat back system today and am having trouble with the install.

Ive done good so far, but i cant figure out where these two pieces go...

it comes with two stainless clamps in the system and then you re-use your stock clamps.

the only thing im having trouble with is where these two extra pieces they sent me goes. they are some rubber sleeves with fiberglass interiors. im not seeing them on borlas install instructions.

they seem to small to stretch over the pipe...so im having trouble figuring out where they go exactly.

anybody have any ideas?

thanks
Old 04-04-2012, 07:38 AM
moochman4life
3rd Gear Member

Hey man, cat-back or axle-back? If the openings are small enough to fit a pencil through, they might be for your hangers...small metal pieces attached to you mufflers that keep you mufflers from falling or sagging out of position at the back of the car.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:49 AM
-rpark-
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by moochman4life
Hey man, cat-back or axle-back? If the openings are small enough to fit a pencil through, they might be for your hangers...small metal pieces attached to you mufflers that keep you mufflers from falling or sagging out of position at the back of the car.
cat backs

no...they are, without measuring, about 2 inches in diameter and about 6-8 inches long. Looks kinda like an paper towel roll, but a little shorter and a little fatter.

the outside is textured rubber and the inside is fiberglass mesh.

it looks way to small to go on the outside of the pipe unless you did some severe stretching, and i cant see it going on the inside of the pipe.

the only think i could possibly conceive they would be for is just to stretch on the outside of the over axle somewhere along the pipe to deaden sound...kinda like a damper possibly?

guess ill call borla today and *** them what its for.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:52 AM
S197GT07
5th Gear Member

You know what they say...

A picture is worth 1000 words, and in your case, most likely an answer to your question!
Old 04-04-2012, 10:03 AM
-rpark-
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by S197GT07
You know what they say...

A picture is worth 1000 words, and in your case, most likely an answer to your question!
at work...ill try to get something up tonight.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:19 AM
S197GT07
5th Gear Member

Are these brown things it?
Old 04-04-2012, 10:20 AM
-rpark-
1st Gear Member

Are these brown things it?
YES!

i dont see them listed in the instruction manual or the box parts list.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:21 AM
S197GT07
5th Gear Member

Yea man, NO idea what they are, I can't seem to find it either haha.

Funny thing is they aren't pictured in any of the other systems they make, just for the over axle pipes...

Def call them at this point, maybe you don't need them and they got tossed in extra? Maybe they go inside the pipe where it meets the crossover to make a good seal?

Who knows
Old 04-04-2012, 10:24 AM
-rpark-
1st Gear Member

Yea man, NO idea what they are, I can't seem to find it either haha.

Funny thing is they aren't pictured in any of the other systems they make, just for the over axle pipes...

Def call them at this point, maybe you don't need them and they got tossed in extra? Maybe they go inside the pipe where it meets the crossover to make a good seal?

Who knows

got off the phone with borla and they didnt update their install instructions on the new system. they emailed me the new install instructions and said it would be on their web site soon.

when the sleeves are is to insulate the gas fill line and the gas tank evap system from the heat of the over axle pipes so it doesnt catch on fire.

im glad i called!

Last edited by -rpark-; 04-04-2012 at 08:59 PM.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:58 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

uhh.. I don't recall my borla s catback coming with those. maybe I should contact them. I'm not fond of the whole might catch on fire thing.

Quick Reply: Borla cat back exhaust help...