Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Synthetic or recycled oil?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 08:06 AM
JCON
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
+1 for stigma. I suppose I'm not as smart as you thought, after all, 157db. But at least I run my synthetic for 10,000 miles or so in my Stang and the SUV so I'm NOT pouring the oil down the storm drain or over the fence into the neighbors yard as frequently as many other folks.
I run my full synthetic to 10-15k miles... No complaints. Will send in a sample for analysis after this next change.

Originally Posted by ryland52586
There are a lot of differing opinions here. I may have to buy it and change my oil just to see what the difference is in terms of lubrication, fuel economy, driving feel, performance, and longevity.

But if we're recycling something we only have so much of, I'd prefer to use something over again.

After all, the recycling process can't be any worse than the refining process, amirite?
Send a sample after you change this recycled oil in 6 months or whenever you do it to Blackstone Labs. http://www.blackstone-labs.com/ They will test it and tell you if its good or not.

Originally Posted by 808muscle
Sorry I wont be using "used" oil for any of my cars. As far as carbon footprint...........I have 12 solar panels on my roof. Just doing my part.
I bought a V8 to help with my carbon footprint... And after the full exhaust goes on, the cats will go on before emissions testing. Of course I only put about 7,000 miles on a year...
Old 04-08-2012, 01:18 PM
JRC702
1st Gear Member

There are a lot of differing opinions here. I may have to buy it and change my oil just to see what the difference is in terms of lubrication, fuel economy, driving feel, performance, and longevity.

But if we're recycling something we only have so much of, I'd prefer to use something over again.

After all, the recycling process can't be any worse than the refining process, amirite?
The effects of using a potentially substandard oil may not be realized in the short term.

I'll stick to new oil for now thank you.

Note: I'm not a fan of extended oil change intervals either.
I value the mechanical integrity of my cars too much to make compromises in the name of reducing my carbon footprint.

in other words: Al Gore can kiss my *** too!
Old 04-08-2012, 01:31 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JRC702
...I'm not a fan of extended oil change intervals either.
I value the mechanical integrity of my cars too much to make compromises...
Considering that I've owned and operated more than 4 vehicles where I did oil changes between 10k and 12k miles using synthetic and they all had over 150k miles on them (3 of them over 200k mile) with not one burning or using oil and running great, I'm convinced. But we each have to be comfortable in what we do.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:48 AM
Lifter583
4th Gear Member

I am all for recycling...I am in the water recycling business...but for me I am still wanting more info on the process...I do maintenance on our equipment and we run full syn lubes...all the old oil (many types and weights) goes in the same recycle barrels and is picked up...how is this seperated? how can all the mixed different types be refined back to a specific weight? I just wish to see more info on the process...I would have no problem running recycle oil if I get more info which I havent found yet...
Old 04-13-2012, 11:16 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

The refining process is 100 times worse than the recycling process.
Refining oil is not the same as recycling it.
They are not even close to being the same process.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:10 PM
JAJ
2nd Gear Member

Going back to the OP's question, Valvoline Nextgen is a good product. It meets API SN and Ford specifications, so you can use it with confidence.

Think about it this way - if refiners can remove a million years of crud from crude oil, getting a few months of crud out of used oil is a snap. That, and if you think about it, for this product to be a success in the long run, it has to perform well, so it's going to have an extra level of additives and purity to ensure no bad press ever happens. If it's good enough for Nascar, it's probably pretty good.
Old 04-14-2012, 12:06 PM
W1ldcat
3rd Gear Member

Time will tell, till then I will stick to full syn. Mobil. I change my oil annaully. If I did it by mileage I would be about on my 3nd change.
Old 04-15-2012, 03:27 PM
JRC702
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Considering that I've owned and operated more than 4 vehicles where I did oil changes between 10k and 12k miles using synthetic and they all had over 150k miles on them (3 of them over 200k mile) with not one burning or using oil and running great, I'm convinced. But we each have to be comfortable in what we do.
And from my prospective:

I don't claim to hold a degree in automotive engineering.
My disdain for extended oil change intervals comes from my years as a technician at a dealership (not Ford).

I've seen the sludge and dealt with the other issues like engine noises and check engine lights caused by oil starved camshaft adjusters suffered by customers who faithfully followed the longer intervals being recommended by the manufacturers.
It's common knowledge in this business that yes, there mechanical consequences suffered, (there is no benefit to running on dirty oil) but manufacturers are pressured to generate less waste oil. Extended oil change intervals also cut down on customer's opportunities to generate additional warranty complaints and allows manufacturers to claim lower maintenance costs.

After all, major consequences of failing to change that contaminated dirty oil are not usually felt until long after the car is out of the warranty period.
Then they get to buy a new car.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:56 AM
kenv
4th Gear Member

As long as they make fresh "new" oil, thats all I will put in my cars. Thats JMHO