Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

How Do You Make a 4.6 Go 200mph?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 12:23 PM
Shift
2nd Gear Member

A good paintjob should get you there for sure!

/okay seriously now. The N/A's can't get there on a 4.6 unless you swap parts or the whole engine. Otherwise I'd have to see it in person. F/I Mustangs basically get to the 160 marker much faster. The SC or Turbo cuts at 150-160 for safety reasons so your limited to around there. Check out the UBB 1000/Ultimate Bad Boy. Its a 1000 HP Mustang. I think it can do 200. BUT I have no idea other than the chrome Whipple, what they do to the engine. Its a $110,000 Mustang.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:39 PM
JAJ
2nd Gear Member

A 17 story parking garage rooftop should just about do it...
Old 04-13-2012, 12:00 PM
DCzapla
1st Gear Member

According to Doc Brown strange things can happen @ 88mph!
Old 04-13-2012, 12:48 PM
sharpshaun91
1st Gear Member

just put a lot of chrome on it.....i've heard that adds horsepower
Old 04-13-2012, 01:20 PM
ironh19
3rd Gear Member

drop it out of a plane.
Old 04-13-2012, 02:06 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by UPRSharad
And Ken Bjonnes just ran 206 mph in the standing mile with ~800-1000hp, depending on how much boost he was running. When you start talking about top speed, as in, as much time as you need to get there, I'd expect 600-800hp to hit 200 without many aero mods. But I'd still suggest suspension and tire upgrades to make it safer.
i always wonder how much power is wasted on those massive hp texas mile cars. if you watch the really fast high power cars they ease off the line and slip, slide and feather half way down the track and then get into it hard. ive wondered if you had a lower power car you could just get into if it would be feasable to match their performance. seems like it would, IDK. one day i want to do the texas mile, its just so far across Texas!
Old 04-13-2012, 02:26 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

So i haven't read the whole thread but...

in stock (body) form, it would take A LOT of power to get the car into the 200mph range. The body is not the most aerodynamic/slippery.

A good approach would be to yes boost the motors output to upwards of 600+ RWHP but also to look at way to reduce drag.

Hood:
The Stock hood on an S197GT itself is a sail. If you've ever gotten to 80+ mph you'll notice the hood dances on these things, that means that air is getting under the hood and trying to lift it. Most aftermarket hoods are designed to first not let the air get under the hood but secondly allow any trapped air to escape so it can't push back.

Front Facia/Bumper:
Lets face it, the air going into the front of the car is meant for cooling the radiator and tranny fluid on an auto. Once it gets into the engine bay, it has no where to go so it acts as a brick wall. The faster you go, the stronger the wall. Air ducting or a bumper that deflects the excess air around to the side of the car or under it would help significantly. This combined with a hood that allows air to flow through it would also help.

Rear Upper:
The factory spoiler on a S197GT is strictly for looks so it can actually cause more drag. A decent spoiler meant for high speed will do one or two things 1) increase down force for traction, 2) reduce the vortexs of the air traveling off the rear of the car. These vortexes can pull on a car as they are dragged along acting like a sort of air parachute.

Rear Lower: Air passing under the car will also be coming out the back and creating their own Vortex, again you need a way to reduce these so a lower diffuser is needed.

That's just the basics, there are way more finer details in what I already mentioned even within those three but you get the point.
Old 04-13-2012, 03:48 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by JJP SuperStang
A good paintjob should get you there for sure!

/okay seriously now. The N/A's can't get there on a 4.6 unless you swap parts or the whole engine. Otherwise I'd have to see it in person. F/I Mustangs basically get to the 160 marker much faster. The SC or Turbo cuts at 150-160 for safety reasons so your limited to around there. Check out the UBB 1000/Ultimate Bad Boy. Its a 1000 HP Mustang. I think it can do 200. BUT I have no idea other than the chrome Whipple, what they do to the engine. Its a $110,000 Mustang.
Did you see where I posted that Richard Holdener ran over 190mph on a basically stock 05 GT with a Vortech?

Originally Posted by ShaneM
i always wonder how much power is wasted on those massive hp texas mile cars. if you watch the really fast high power cars they ease off the line and slip, slide and feather half way down the track and then get into it hard. ive wondered if you had a lower power car you could just get into if it would be feasable to match their performance. seems like it would, IDK. one day i want to do the texas mile, its just so far across Texas!
It doesn't really work like that. You feed the car as much power as the tire will hold. You could be more aggressive with the throttle pedal on a 300hp car than you would on a 1000hp car, but you wouldn't be going any faster in the 300hp car.

The theory that I want to try out (and I'm working on it as we speak) is that if someone would just bring a purpose built drag car to the mile (but on hoosier A6s since they don't allow DRs, which is BS) I think they could get into the power sooner than these blingy foo foo cars do. And one of the most important rules of drag racing is that if you get out of the hole better, the gains multiply down the track. How much more do they multiply when you're talking about a full mile!? (assuming you have enough power to overcome aerodynamics, which I should)
Old 04-13-2012, 04:51 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

The theory that I want to try out (and I'm working on it as we speak) is that if someone would just bring a purpose built drag car to the mile (but on hoosier A6s since they don't allow DRs, which is BS) I think they could get into the power sooner than these blingy foo foo cars do. And one of the most important rules of drag racing is that if you get out of the hole better, the gains multiply down the track. How much more do they multiply when you're talking about a full mile!? (assuming you have enough power to overcome aerodynamics, which I should)
Would certainly be fun to see, and they have enough power for the most part, but the track is not prepped, and they usually are geared for the 1/4, so they would probably run out of gear before hitting their aero wall, so a change of gears would probably be necessary.
Old 04-14-2012, 12:43 AM
Shift
2nd Gear Member

Did you see where I posted that Richard Holdener ran over 190mph on a basically stock 05 GT with a Vortech?
Nope. And that isn't 200 but yeah I mean its deff possible to get up there don't get me wrong. I'm just saying some serious work is needed to reach that 200+ mark. Its not a couple bolt ons.