Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Anyone have a high mileage 2011+ GT? (Long term reliability question)

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 08:25 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

After owning over a dozen cars and driving almost 40 winters in PA, NJ, MI and IL, I'll have to say that the Stang is one of the worst winter cars I've ever owned. Even with decent dedicated winter tires and extra weight in the trunk, it's marginal at best. Those that claim it's good in snow have no idea what a good vehicle in snow REALLY is like OR they drive on plowed roads after a 12" snowfall and claim their car can handle 12" snowfalls.

Get the Stang AND a beater.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:00 AM
Mrbobcat
2nd Gear Member

Yeah Nuke, my mom is trying to talk me out of getting a stang partly because she says it gets horrible gas mileage, but mostly because she says they are awful in the snow. I tried to explain to her that a new Mustang would most likely be no worse than my Genesis Coupe in winter since it is rwd. Although it has traction control and LSD. The Mustang has just LSD right? I did notice a big difference in my car when I replaced the stock all-seasons with some Continental Extreme Contact, but in a big snowfall of around 6 inches or more any rwd sports car will struggle a bit. You just have to drive real slow and try to stay on plowed roads.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:57 AM
BeitzelGT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mrbobcat
Yeah Nuke, my mom is trying to talk me out of getting a stang partly because she says it gets horrible gas mileage, but mostly because she says they are awful in the snow. I tried to explain to her that a new Mustang would most likely be no worse than my Genesis Coupe in winter since it is rwd. Although it has traction control and LSD. The Mustang has just LSD right? I did notice a big difference in my car when I replaced the stock all-seasons with some Continental Extreme Contact, but in a big snowfall of around 6 inches or more any rwd sports car will struggle a bit. You just have to drive real slow and try to stay on plowed roads.
2011+ mustang gt gets 24-26mpg hwy.........thats not bad for 420hp?

get a jeep, 3" lift and 35's and roll with 16mpg hwy if you wanna see bad!
Old 04-20-2012, 10:01 AM
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

Yea id buy some 3000-4000 dollar POS car for snow and ****ty conditions where you couldnt even enjoy the mustang or give it more than 10% throttle anyway.

fully insure the mustang for 8-9 months then get the minimum basic insurance for your beater for the bad months or whenever you drive it.
Old 04-20-2012, 04:39 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mrbobcat
The mustang has traction control and stability control.
Old 04-20-2012, 06:02 PM
jakk

Thanks for the replies. Between the other forums and people I have talked to in person, it seems like I have a 50/50 split between it'll be fine with snow tires/don't even attempt it. I guess I'll just have to sit down and think if I really want to give it a try. I don't see a beater as a viable option due to the extra cost associated with maintaining it. Worst case would be that it doesn't work in the winter so I end up trading it in and taking a bit of a hit. The other car I am looking at is a mazdaspeed3, which is fwd. It's an awesome car, but obviously no Mustang
Old 04-21-2012, 06:03 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

my last piece of advice if you do get the stang, keep a snow shovel in the trunk during the winter... it's come in handy many times with my 2007 to dig the snow out from around the tires.

Really, if I didn't have another car I can drive to/from work I wouldn't have bought the 2012 GT, I would have sold the 2007 GT for a good winter car, then saved for the 2012 or 2013 GT.

But, there is only one way to find out if it works for you...
Old 05-23-2012, 05:33 PM
recklessdriver

I would say no to driving in the winter. Wisconsin has harsh winters with salt.. snow and it just wrecks cars. Among that the car is light rwd and will just be wicked to drive in snow. I driven a few different cars from fast fwd lowered cars to rwd sports cars. I would recommend a truck, you can typically find a 90's chevy or ford truck for 2,000 dollars. It would be nice in the winter and have the ground clearance to keep you out of trouble.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:37 PM
knightryder
1st Gear Member

Put a good set of performance snow tires on, like the Bridgestone Blizzacks, and you'll have no trouble.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:43 PM
Hammer11

My girlfriend has driven her last two mustangs year around with all seasons on it. Not a problem here in Northern Illinois. She just picked up a leftover 12 GT/CS and plans on the same thing. She drives 60 mi. roundtrip everyday. On the other hand my 11 GT has the brembo package on it with summer tires... uh, I drive a 4 wheel drive pickup in the winter.. lol!

Quick Reply: Anyone have a high mileage 2011+ GT? (Long term reliability question)