Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Straight Pipes

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 04:39 PM
Zack412

Default Straight Pipes

Ive been looking at the slp loudmouth axlebacks for my 06, but wouldnt straight pipes be basically the same thing and much cheaper? Now would i get them from my stock xpipe back or from like the cats or what? Which would be cheaper and which would be louder?
Old 04-22-2012, 05:14 PM
02WhiteGTVert
3rd Gear Member

They both sound equally crappy, take your pick.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:44 PM
Zack412

Okay any real answers?
Old 04-22-2012, 09:48 PM
BeitzelGT
2nd Gear Member

I like the way SLP exhaust sound... its LOUD if you have their full set up, but i think if you like a loud car, you'd like them! youtube some of their videos...

I'd probably go with pypes axle backs or something cheaper with almost the same sound.
Old 04-25-2012, 03:12 PM
allicedout

I've got Pype Bomb axle backs. Its loud, can get annoying sometimes but I love the sound and everyone who hears it says the same things. it's a sacrifice you make to be loud. I've got some vids I'll post them up when I get a chance.
Old 04-25-2012, 04:21 PM
lawrencecar1
2nd Gear Member

i have straight pipes along with headers and xpipe and love it..
Old 04-25-2012, 07:07 PM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

I've heard a few cars with the muffler deletes (and otherwise stock exhaust) and it pretty much sounds like crap...these 4.6's really need mufflers to sound good.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:21 PM
Pete's GT

I just put on the Pypes Muffler deletes on an otherwise stock 05 GT and the second I started my car up I fell in love. I think it sounds great, and get a lot of compliments. And unless your really getting on the throttle it can sound stock when you aren't wanting the attention.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:46 PM
DylanFan
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ghunt
I've heard a few cars with the muffler deletes (and otherwise stock exhaust) and it pretty much sounds like crap...these 4.6's really need mufflers to sound good.
I got tired of spending $500 plus for a pair if mufflers so I took my 2009 Grabber Orange GT with 5 speed manual to a local Mustang speed shop and had straight pipes put on to replace the stock GT mufflers. I like the sound and it sounds a lot like my friends 2009 Roush Stage 1 Mustang. It cost me like $125 to make the change. I'm happy with the straight pipes!
Old 04-26-2012, 07:32 PM
HxCGuitars
3rd Gear Member

I've got the Pype Bombs, and I love them. They're not loud enough though, and it's become very apparent while I've been driving with my friends this week. However, by itself, it sounds amazing and I get compliments from many people in my club at school.

Some people think they're too loud though, but I think they're just right for what they are. I wasn't expecting louder without going with headers or at least headers. I'll tell you, when I first started it up, I couldn't wipe the grin off my face for a good two hours.

Stock, you've got an h pipe btw. I definitely wouldn't go straight from the cats back, keep the crossover. Though you could buy an off/road mid pipe (no cats), which would be VERY loud.

Quick Reply: Straight Pipes