Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs > GT S197 General Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 04-23-2012, 03:14 PM   #1
winner99
3rd Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to winner99
Default 2013 hp difference

I noticed the 2013 5.0 is rated 8 more hp then 2012. What refinement exactly is making the difference in hp? Just wondering if maybe I could crank a few more out of my 2012.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
winner99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:37 PM   #2
grnbayfan
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: na

most likely all ford did was change some timing and fuel settings to net that 8 hp difference. you would see and even better difference getting a tune from bama and a cold air intake.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:49 PM   #3
Entaille
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2012 Mustang GT

it's tuning. you can squeeze more than an additional 8 hp out of the car with just a tune.
Entaille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:30 PM   #4
winner99
3rd Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to winner99

Thats what I thought... So with that said is there already a new calibration available at the dealership? Last time I asked was like January I think. Or am I wrong that it would do anything?
winner99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:54 AM   #5
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2013 Boss 302

Even if they could flash it for you, I doubt the 8hp is worth the money you'd spend to get it. Your HP changes by more than that depending on the temperature outside, so I seriously doubt 8hp would be noticeable.

I wouldn't sweat it to be honest. There will always be someone with more power than you. I thought I was hot stuff in the Mustang until I went to dyno it and they had an STR10 there making more power at 1800 RPM that I was at peak power (over 470 at the wheels). They were tuning it so the dyno only went to 4500 and it was already near 700whp.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:05 PM   #6
allenmaty
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 2012 Mustang GT

what is very interesting with the hp change is that it is only changed for premium fuel (91 octane), the 87 octane fuel rating is the same as the '11-'12. You would think if there is a new 'tune' for the '13's it would affect the whole range.
I personally suspect that because these 5.0's were so underrated (real power is 430-460hp) that they just changed the spec...

Custom ordered 2012 Mustang GT Premium, Kona Blue, 3.73 rear, Over the Top White Stripe and Optional 18" Polished Wheels. Built on Jan 4th, 2012.
Added: 2013GT Splash Guards, Ford GT Strut Tower Brace, MGW Shifter, Raxiom Smoked Aero Tail Lights,Moroso Air/Oil Separator, J&M Extreme Joint Rear Lower Control Arms, Infinity Reference 8602cfx speakers (x4).
allenmaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 03:14 PM   #7
dcarlinf1
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2011 GT Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenmaty View Post
I personally suspect that because these 5.0's were so underrated (real power is 430-460hp) that they just changed the spec...
Bingo! I won't believe the 2013's really make more power until I see it dyno proven. Of course, the baseline dyno's I have seen on the 11's and 12's have a margin of error of at least 8hp. So, it's all moot really.

I don't think there is anything different at all on the 2013 engine. Just marketing.
2011 GT Premium / Ingot Silver / Comfort Pkg / Brembo Pkg / 3.73 / SW off-road X pipe / Steeda Sport Springs / Koni STR.T struts and shocks / UMI adjustable panhard rod / DG Custom Louvers / Graphics Express Hood and Trunk Stripes / Steeda CAI / BAMA Tunes 89, 93, 93 (ghost cam)
dcarlinf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 03:28 PM   #8
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2007 GT
Send a message via AIM to Nuke Send a message via Yahoo to Nuke Send a message via Skype™ to Nuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenmaty View Post
...I personally suspect that because these 5.0's were so underrated (real power is 430-460hp) that they just changed the spec...
Bingo squared... IMO.
07 GT Prem: Alloy, MT, 3.55's, Steeda CAI w/Brenspeed tunes, FRPP Stingers, 275/40/18 Goodyear Eagle F1 A/S on SVT Cobras (OE GT500's), 14" shorty, Wheelskin side scoops & qtr window louvers, A-H rear window louvers, SHR honeycomb blackout panel, Sequentials, Hella Optilux Extreme XY fogs, Silverstars
06 V6: Legend Lime, Pony Package, 14" shorty, Sequentials, Hella Optilux Extreme XY fogs, Silverstars
Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 03:28 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
2012, 2013, 50, actual, differant, difference, differences, ford, gt, gt500, horsepower, hp, increase, latemodelrestoration, mustang