Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

2011 Evo X or 2013 Mustang GT?

Old 04-25-2012, 11:32 PM
Urzu725

Default 2011 Evo X or 2013 Mustang GT?

Hello forum,
This is my first time posting, so hopefully I am doing everything correctly. I am currently driving a 2011 Evo X GSR, but after seeing the new 2013 Mustang GT, I am tempted to switch over. Don't get me wrong, the Evo is great. Handles well, 4 doors, turbo, but lately I have been having problems with the interior. It's as if the interior isn't screwed on tightly enough. I have taken the car back to the dealership and my father's auto body shop, but nobody can fix the interior rattles and shakes. It sounds like hard plastic violently hitting hard plastic, repeatedly. Also, I've always liked the Mustang so I am kind of in a pickle. I was hoping you guys can shed some light on the subject. Thanks.

P.S. I know there will be a heavy bias towards the Mustang. I mean, hey, this is a Mustang forum!
Old 04-25-2012, 11:48 PM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

Trust me, you will fall head over heels for the Mustang. You will suddenly find yourself with the urge to go from 0-150 as fast as physically possible, and enjoy the skill it takes to launch a rear wheel drive car.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:51 PM
Urzu725

I can't wait to test drive it (I am going on Friday). I drove the auto, but the shifts seemed too violent for me. I'm really looking forward to the manual.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:22 AM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Urzu725
Hello forum,
This is my first time posting, so hopefully I am doing everything correctly. I am currently driving a 2011 Evo X GSR, but after seeing the new 2013 Mustang GT, I am tempted to switch over. Don't get me wrong, the Evo is great. Handles well, 4 doors, turbo, but lately I have been having problems with the interior. It's as if the interior isn't screwed on tightly enough. I have taken the car back to the dealership and my father's auto body shop, but nobody can fix the interior rattles and shakes. It sounds like hard plastic violently hitting hard plastic, repeatedly. Also, I've always liked the Mustang so I am kind of in a pickle. I was hoping you guys can shed some light on the subject. Thanks.

P.S. I know there will be a heavy bias towards the Mustang. I mean, hey, this is a Mustang forum!
I just took a 2013 GT premium for a spin and it is one of the nicest interiors I've ever driven in (as far as sports cars are concerned). Very high quality and very comfortable. The best advice I can give you is to test drive one yourself. Also, the 2012 GT premium can be had for much cheaper right now as dealers are attempting to unload them from their lots to make room for the 2013's. Might be a good time to snag one of them! Welcome to MF by the way!

Originally Posted by Urzu725
I can't wait to test drive it (I am going on Friday). I drove the auto, but the shifts seemed too violent for me. I'm really looking forward to the manual.
The issue with shift timing can easily be fixed with a custom tune from American Muscle, Brenspeed or any reputable vendor. My '06 GT had a similar problem until I ordered my BAMA tunes. Smooth as butter now and quick!
Old 04-26-2012, 07:36 AM
Urzu725

alright sounds good to me. I'll let you guys know how the test drive goes tomorrow.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:45 AM
Urzu725

btw, has anyone owned an evo x gsr before? I was hoping we could compare the two cars.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:59 AM
03gt04mach1
3rd Gear Member

What I can tell you is, once you get a Pony, it's hard to get off. You'll be hooked and forget about the EVO. Besides the Pony image reminds you of horsepower. Some on this site and other Stang sites, sell their mustangs and within a year are back on trying to get another one. We own two, and we love both of them...I've owned the '03 GT for almost 10 years, and still love getting behind the wheel everyday. I don't know about others who own them, but ours have been dependable since day one. Except for the Battery, Brakes, Tires and Wiper Blades, no joke!
Old 04-26-2012, 02:23 PM
Juntech
3rd Gear Member

Hey Urzu,

Welcome to the forums. I've had 2 STi's and my previous car was a 2008 Stang GT. My current car is a 2012 WRX ( ) Picked it up a couple months ago. It wasn't til my recent test drive in a 2013 GT did i realize my mistake. A friend of mine has a 2010 Mustang V6 and another has a Mitsu Lancer. I've got a pretty good handle on the differences you're asking about and a library of cars that are similar to your comparison.

I recently test drove a 2013 Stang 5.0 with no options and needless to say my 2012 WRX might not last long.

The Mustang FEELS like a special car. The seating position, center console design, hood height makes you feel like you're in a sports car. The AWD turbo sedans are nice, no doubt, but we're in a totally different experience here. It feels exactly like what they are, souped up economy sedans...not that they aren't totally fast and lots of fun, it's just the cumulative experience is a lot different.

The Mustang SOUNDS incredible. Nuff said.

The Mustang LOOKS like a hot Maxim model whereas our turbo imports look like the girls at the local pub, cute and doable, but kind of generic.

The one thing ide have to recommend about getting a mustang is not to go with the stock 3.31 gears. Getting one is all about fun and anything below a 3.55 isn't...IMHO.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:34 PM
replica
4th Gear Member

If you're wanting to sell the EVO just because of interior rattles, that's kind of silly.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:41 PM
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

MY 2011 mustang has no rattles whatsoever, surprisingly quiet interior. A bit of wind noise at higher speeds but very minor, no rattles that ive heard at all, they really quieted down the interior of the newer mustangs.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2011 Evo X or 2013 Mustang GT?