Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

2013 Track App Cluster in 2012?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 04:51 PM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

To those asking about engineering test mode.
With the key in the ignition, press and hold the setup and reset buttons. Turn the car on, keeping the buttons held. Eventually (<10s) the message center will say "Engineering Test Mode" and you can use the reset button to cycle through the different outputs.

As to the sensors, most likely all of the sensors are there (exception to the accelerometer, but that could be included in the track apps screen). Distance could be obtained off the wheelspeed/abs sensors for track times, all the racing apps from the accelerometer. The engine parameters are already used (temperatures, a/f ratio, throttle position, timing, etc.) by the ECM. However, the ECM may not be set up to send the signals to the track apps screen, which is a problem.

A solution would be to get an in-car tuner (diablo or the sct touchscreen for instance) that request the information and displays it. Not quite the same or as cool as track apps but it has the same functionality. Does anyone have the price of the gauge cluster? if its similar to the $950 each tail lights that might be a show stopper anyway.
Old 05-13-2012, 05:05 PM
Ditty
2nd Gear Member

thankyou! i'm gonna try it out today.
Old 05-13-2012, 05:46 PM
Ditty
2nd Gear Member

There is a LOT of info being displayed in Engineering Test Mode!!!! WOW. And most of it I have only a vague idea what it means!
Old 05-13-2012, 07:56 PM
danman0469
2nd Gear Member

Yeah im so gonna have to try it out when i get home. Thanks man!
Old 05-14-2012, 03:15 PM
danman0469
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ditty
There is a LOT of info being displayed in Engineering Test Mode!!!! WOW. And most of it I have only a vague idea what it means!
I have no idea what 95% of all that means. The gauge test is pretty cool though
Old 05-15-2012, 06:42 PM
Ditty
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by danman0469
I have no idea what 95% of all that means. The gauge test is pretty cool though
No lie, I drove around with the RPM counter on. Everything else looks like it requires some sort of gauge to display the info for the most part. Also, I HATE how all of the FORD vehicles show temp in C and not F. WTF??!! That was a major complaint for friends of mine tuning their 6.4L and 6.7L Powerstrokes. This is America, and we read F, not C FORD! It would not add THAT much code to have it display in F.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:27 PM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ditty
No lie, I drove around with the RPM counter on. Everything else looks like it requires some sort of gauge to display the info for the most part. Also, I HATE how all of the FORD vehicles show temp in C and not F. WTF??!! That was a major complaint for friends of mine tuning their 6.4L and 6.7L Powerstrokes. This is America, and we read F, not C FORD! It would not add THAT much code to have it display in F.
I've done thermodynamic problems and it is much easier to work in Celsius and the metric system for controlling these engines, probably why it defaults to Celsius. I have yet to find a imperial bolt on the car, so probably everything was figured out in metric, its just too convenient not to.

Considering the number of members on this thread alone that didn't know about ET mode, probably 90% of the mustang drivers will never activate it, and even if you do you still have to do it every time you are in the car to see that data.

I agree, they could have put in the option for Fahrenheit, but when the engine parameters were most likely derived in the metric system why switch if 1 out of 10 people are going to look at it? You would also have to write all the diagnostic manuals for temperature in dual units as well. Just a few theories why they didn't bother.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:25 PM
Ditty
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by clowe1965
I've done thermodynamic problems and it is much easier to work in Celsius and the metric system for controlling these engines, probably why it defaults to Celsius. I have yet to find a imperial bolt on the car, so probably everything was figured out in metric, its just too convenient not to.

Considering the number of members on this thread alone that didn't know about ET mode, probably 90% of the mustang drivers will never activate it, and even if you do you still have to do it every time you are in the car to see that data.

I agree, they could have put in the option for Fahrenheit, but when the engine parameters were most likely derived in the metric system why switch if 1 out of 10 people are going to look at it? You would also have to write all the diagnostic manuals for temperature in dual units as well. Just a few theories why they didn't bother.
I was commenting on the C vs F for temperatures b/c I remember when the 6.4L Powerstroke came out and everyone and their mother had a tune for it, and the SCT display and the Dashdak thingy were big, the OBDII plug-in displays could not display the temps in F b/c the factory had 'em in C...even EGTs which is quite possibly the MOST important thing you'd want to be able to read on a diesel. Not saying, just saying.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:40 AM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

Kind of weird the tuners didn't fix that once the issue came up. They fit that programming in a 10$ thermometer the size of my pinky, surely they could have put it in a 400$ tuner. Same could be said of a 30k car but if Ford doesn't think its a problem then they're not gonna fix it. After all the customer doesn't know what they're talking about.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:03 PM
2012White5.0
2nd Gear Member

Hey guys just saw this article and thought I would share about the sensors used in the 2013 track app system are all there in the 2012.

http://www.sae.org/mags/aei/10770

Quick Reply: 2013 Track App Cluster in 2012?