Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

What should i do with $3,000

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 01:24 AM
BlackGT45th
2nd Gear Member

Gears, Mac LTs and matching Prochamber, Mac chambered mufflers(or keep the flows if you like them). Suspension mods, get rid of that wheel hop, and wider rear tires. Thats what I'd do.
Old 05-12-2012, 01:31 AM
07stangED
1st Gear Member

I would say the biggest thing would be gears...but I don't know much about automatics / torque converters, so maybe that is something that could really wake that car up for you.
So for me I would do gears and or torque converter, then I would personally do headers...just because the sound of a car means a lot to me. That should leave some room to do suspension mods.
FYI I run kooks long tube headers (expensive, but really nice craftsmanship) and frpp stingers (same as borla), love the sound. I was running the high flow H pipe and i got lots of compliments on the sound...it was a deep muscle car sound, not tinny or crackly.

Last edited by 07stangED; 05-12-2012 at 01:33 AM.
Old 05-13-2012, 04:20 PM
JGill1992
2nd Gear Member

I really think I'm going to get a 3,000rpm stall torque converter and 4.10 or 4.30 gears. I know I'll probably have trouble putting the power to the ground bug by the time I burn off my current tires I'll be ready for suspension mods and wider tires. Does anyone know will the tc and gears put a lot of extra wear on the car? I dont want to break anything else
Old 05-13-2012, 06:03 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JGill1992
I really think I'm going to get a 3,000rpm stall torque converter and 4.10 or 4.30 gears. I know I'll probably have trouble putting the power to the ground bug by the time I burn off my current tires I'll be ready for suspension mods and wider tires. Does anyone know will the tc and gears put a lot of extra wear on the car? I dont want to break anything else
Any new mod puts extra wear on a car you just have to not beat on your car. Like for instance when ur cruising down the interstate and someone wants to race and your already going 60 and u go full throttle its hard on the car. As far as the 410s and torque convertor u will be fine the 4.6 is a good motor. Just treat it good. Racing at the track will be fine. Its the added stress when people do silly **** like I mentioned already dont forget to get the tranny catch can man
Old 05-14-2012, 11:26 AM
JGill1992
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by outceltj
Any new mod puts extra wear on a car you just have to not beat on your car. Like for instance when ur cruising down the interstate and someone wants to race and your already going 60 and u go full throttle its hard on the car. As far as the 410s and torque convertor u will be fine the 4.6 is a good motor. Just treat it good.
Racing at the track will be fine. Its the added stress when people do silly **** like I mentioned already dont forget to get the tranny catch can man
Is it impossible to drive around town stop and go with the torque converter? Or is if just something once you get used to it it's fine?
Old 05-14-2012, 12:40 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JGill1992
Is it impossible to drive around town stop and go with the torque converter? Or is if just something once you get used to it it's fine?
Oh yea u can drive in stop and go traffic. I don't think u will have a problem relearning to drive your car. It took me about a week but my setup is different.

The one big difference I noticed between just having 410s and torque convertor. The fact that when u race in a car that only has 410s the rpms would come up and the shift was very abrupt and not smooth. The torque convertor does not allow the car to do that. Very smooth and the power is always there. The abrupt shifting with the 410s would spike out on rpms and then drop into gear. I think it's a win win for u and your car
Old 05-14-2012, 04:04 PM
JGill1992
2nd Gear Member

Oh yea u can drive in stop and go traffic. I don't think u will have a problem relearning to drive your car. It took me about a week but my setup is different.

The one big difference I noticed between just having 410s and torque convertor. The fact that when u race in a car that only has 410s the rpms would come up and the shift was very abrupt and not smooth. The torque convertor does not allow the car to do that. Very smooth and the power is always there. The abrupt shifting with the 410s would spike out on rpms and then drop into gear. I think it's a win win for u and your car
Sweet. I just ordered the 4.10 gears once I get them
Installed sometime later this week than I'll order the TC And the trans catch can. Than I'll probably go with suspension and tire upgrade than under drive pullys and headders
Old 05-14-2012, 04:05 PM
Roush05
3rd Gear Member

If you're willing to shop used, you can effectively double your spending money.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:06 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

Who is installing the gears
Old 05-14-2012, 07:07 PM
JGill1992
2nd Gear Member

Who is installing the gears
I had a good local shop I trust but they havent done one before so maybe the ford dealership

Quick Reply: What should i do with $3,000