Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs > GT S197 General Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 05-09-2012, 11:21 AM   #11
GhostStrykre
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ford Mustang V6
_patt3rson_ GhostStrykre GhostStrykre

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05xrunner View Post
maybe the 11 you drove had 3.73 in it so that take off felt harder and this one had 3.31 so it was smoother and not as punchy out the gate.
truth! the 2011 i drove had a strut tower brace and the 2013 i drove did not.. and now that i think of that, it would suggest that the 2011 was a higher value package, most likely with different gears than the 2013 i just drove. i'll continue my investigating, i think i'm too far into this to give up on a V8.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
GhostStrykre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:36 AM   #12
djbronco

Vehicle: 2006 Ford Mustang GT
@doug_j67

I drove a 2013 5.0 last week and absolutely loved it!!! Still trying to justify an upgrade from my 06 GT though! I love my 06!!!!
Old 05-09-2012, 02:13 PM   #13
Entaille
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2012 Mustang GT

two things -

you need to drive a stang with 3.73 gears to feel the low end come alive. I hear you, it feels dead under 3k in 3.3 gears.

hillside assist is not bad technology - and it works properly. you are just not used to having it there so it's going to totally throw you off (understandably). once you adapt to it, it's absolutely awesome to have imo.

lastly, hillside assist is a new feature for 2013. 2012s did not have them. most new manual cars come with hillside assist - not just Ford stuff.
Entaille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:01 PM   #14
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2006 mustang gt

There ain't no hill that I need assistance with. What other stupid *** **** can we add to make cars more expensive and heavier?

Let's put some airbags in the trunk! I think i'm going to buy a fox body for my next mustang.

whipple HO SC,FRPP k springs, Pypes mid mufflers, hurst, frpp TB, 4.10's, spohn lca's, adj. UCA, relo brackets, 1 piece DS, spec stg 3+ clutch. 12.52@117.6mph so far with a 2.01 60 ft time

Pumpkin jacking addict
moosestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:39 PM   #15
Entaille
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2012 Mustang GT

I'm happy that you don't need assistance starting on a hill. neither do I - but it's technology that allows the manual transmission to appeal to a broader audience, and it's actually rather convenient when you get used to it. my wrx had it - I miss it

I agree though - they are putting way too many features in cars that are ultimately useless and drive up price, but you can't fight progression, technology etc. if the competition offers it and it's desirable, you want to offer it in your line up too. there's a ton of government mandated crap in our cars that make them a lot more costly as well ;(
Entaille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 02:46 PM   #16
RyleyinSTL

Vehicle: Mustang

I'm not sure what all the hill assist hate is about. Sure it's not "needed" but cars didn't used to come with windows either....that doesn't mean that hill assist isn't useful and covenant. My buddy has an M3 with it and while technically unnecessary it makes for worry free, smooth and effortless starts when on steep inclines....why wouldn't I want that?
RyleyinSTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 03:00 PM   #17
gmoran1469
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2009, Ford, Mustang

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostStrykre View Post
I bought a Grabber Blue 2012 Mustang V6 manual last year. Now I'm thinking about trading it up to a 5.0L V8 with a manual transmission. So last night I went for a test drive in a 2013 5.0L and I was really disappointed. First off, I was on a hill when I started, I shifted to neutral, and released the handbrake, and I did not roll backwards. I just hung there. It was as if the car had hillside assist. This was a stripped down, barebones 5.0L V8, so it shouldn't have anything fancy. Do mustangs even have hillside assist?! Even if it did, it sucked. Because suddenly it released, and I started rolling backwards. It did this same thing again later, and it really makes me think something was wrong with the car.

While driving the car, I was pushing the gas in about halfway and getting mediocre results from 0 - 3000 RPMs. After 3000 you could tell that I had a V8, but the car was NOT anywhere near as powerful as I had thought it would be. My 2012 V6 is BAMA tuned, and it just seemed significantly faster with throttle response and initial acceleration.

I drove a 2011 5.0L GT when they first came out, and that thing drove like a bat out of hell. I could absolutely take off with it. This 2013 GT felt like I was dragging a boat anchor or something.

So, is this normal for 2013s? Does anyone think there was something wrong with the car? I am having a really tough time imagining that Ford tuned their stock GT's to be so weak on throttle response so that a V6 would feel zippier (again, my V6 is BAMA tuned). Thoughts?
HSA on the 2013's

Of course it's gonna open up after 3k, it's called variable valve timing and it's been on mustang engines for a while now. Same thing basically as vtec except there is no fancy name for it, just what it is called in the real world.

You are comparing a bama tuned v6 to a stock tuned v8. Once you drop a tune in the v8 it will be a different beast. Also, it depends on the gears the 5.0 had in it that you were test driving. 3.73's will be a big difference over anything less.
gmoran1469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 03:40 PM   #18
Jizz
2nd Gear Member

I drove a 2013 5.0 lastweek and bought it.
Jizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 03:52 PM   #19
pdonket
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2011 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entaille View Post
two things -

you need to drive a stang with 3.73 gears to feel the low end come alive. I hear you, it feels dead under 3k in 3.3 gears.

hillside assist is not bad technology - and it works properly. you are just not used to having it there so it's going to totally throw you off (understandably). once you adapt to it, it's absolutely awesome to have imo.

lastly, hillside assist is a new feature for 2013. 2012s did not have them. most new manual cars come with hillside assist - not just Ford stuff.
Not really, I mean yes it does make it faster off the line to have higher gears, but because of the new transmission gearing, the 3.31s that come stock in the new 5.0 have a final drive ratio higher than a 2005-2009 GT with 3.73 gears out back. The automatics come with 3.15 stock, and they have a final drive ratio even higher than 3.31s matched with the new manual.

I personally think the amount of low torque on these engines is pretty impressive. You definitely feel when it breaks through 3000rpm, but below that the car can still pull pretty damn hard IMO.

My View on the Economy: www.cgeconomics.com
pdonket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:05 PM   #20
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2011 GT Brembo Package

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdonket View Post
Not really, I mean yes it does make it faster off the line to have higher gears, but because of the new transmission gearing, the 3.31s that come stock in the new 5.0 have a final drive ratio higher than a 2005-2009 GT with 3.73 gears out back. The automatics come with 3.15 stock, and they have a final drive ratio even higher than 3.31s matched with the new manual.

I personally think the amount of low torque on these engines is pretty impressive. You definitely feel when it breaks through 3000rpm, but below that the car can still pull pretty damn hard IMO.
No foolin. This car can start in 4th gear and only shudder a little.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:05 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
2012, 2013, 50, chips, ford, gt, hard, mustang, reverse, rock, s197, test, trade, v6, wrx