Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

2013 GT Test Drive -- Bad Experience

Old 05-12-2012, 12:07 PM
Whiskey11
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 05xrunner
maybe the 11 you drove had 3.73 in it so that take off felt harder and this one had 3.31 so it was smoother and not as punchy out the gate.
This.

The reason your six feels zippier is because I have yet to see a tuner who doesnt use the tip in throttle BS to make the car feel quicker downlow by running the throttlebody much closer to fully open than stock. You have to request them NOT to do it if you want any downlow throttle modulating ability otherwise it acts closer to an on off switch than a gas pedal.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:09 AM
fordplay
1st Gear Member

I use first gear at every light. Ford designed the 11 and 12 with the brembo and 3.73 gears in texas mind, it is the one they gave to every press and magazine (except car and driver? ) and it's the one with the fastest stock numbers, drive one and you'll tell, as for the power below 3,000 well thats part gearing and part the engine.. the super free flowing dohc design of this engine does not produce the off idle torque of lets say the camaro 6.2 because of design, however thats not bad if you consider all you get in return. Drive one with 3.73 gears then send us pictures when you get home with it.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:36 AM
Frustration
2nd Gear Member

It takes dang near no time to get past 3k in any case when pushed... Personally I like the the little bit of modulation rooM
Old 05-16-2013, 11:28 PM
RWDtech
1st Gear Member

Its the rear gears bro!! Trust me, I've been nothing but disappointed at how much of a slow turd my '13 GT is compared to all the others I test drove with 3.73's. Mine has the 3.31's. I fell in love with the mustang after test driving one with 3.73's. I located mine in another state because it was an unbeatable deal. After driving that far, I wasn't going to pass on the car because of the gears. I honestly didn't think it would be such a huge difference, but I was wrong. Let this be a lesson to everyone out there!!! 3.73's or die!

Now I'm not sure if I should go for a tune or new gears as my first mod. Anyone else been in this situation?
Old 05-17-2013, 06:38 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by GhostStrykre
solid.. the dealer and i looked at the window sticker and it did NOT have hillside assist mentioned on there. odd. but good to know that 2013's have that feature, so thanks for the info!

the acceleration though still leaves me baffled. i think im going to look around for a 2012 GT or something to see if it feels similarly. it's a financial investment to jump up to the V8, so i want to make sure that i know what i'm getting into. if it feels like that then i really think i'll stick with my v6... never thought i'd say that.

again, thanks for the hill assist info!
It's not an option, it's standard equipment. Maybe the rear brakes were sticking as well.

Any tuned car, v6, v8, I4 is going to have better throttle response than a stock car.
Old 05-17-2013, 06:40 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by RWDtech
Its the rear gears bro!! Trust me, I've been nothing but disappointed at how much of a slow turd my '13 GT is compared to all the others I test drove with 3.73's. Mine has the 3.31's. I fell in love with the mustang after test driving one with 3.73's. I located mine in another state because it was an unbeatable deal. After driving that far, I wasn't going to pass on the car because of the gears. I honestly didn't think it would be such a huge difference, but I was wrong. Let this be a lesson to everyone out there!!! 3.73's or die!

Now I'm not sure if I should go for a tune or new gears as my first mod. Anyone else been in this situation?
You're going to need both or your speedo will be way off, as well as your odometer.
Old 05-17-2013, 07:15 AM
Code Vision
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Whiskey11
This.

The reason your six feels zippier is because I have yet to see a tuner who doesnt use the tip in throttle BS to make the car feel quicker downlow by running the throttlebody much closer to fully open than stock. You have to request them NOT to do it if you want any downlow throttle modulating ability otherwise it acts closer to an on off switch than a gas pedal.
is this what gives you that quick punch that drops right off when you first hit the gas? Mine does it and I don't particularly care for it
Old 05-17-2013, 10:01 AM
BleedinBlue
5th Gear Member

Name:  MotivatorThreadNecro.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  48.6 KB
Old 05-17-2013, 11:36 AM
Slammintone
1st Gear Member

Fuel! The 2013 you drove could have had 87oct gas in it? They won't begin to hit the full factory 420 HP unless you use 93oct fuel for one thing. I thought my 2013 was on the sluggish side on the low end when it was new. Now at 2800 miles the car is frightfully quick and has mountains of torque down low. Other than a CAI and an axleback exhaust the car is stock with the original Ford tune. This car is making more power every other time I drive it to the point now I'm not sure I even WANT to tune it. I'm sure there would be improvements here and there but it would not be the beast of a tune the Ford engineers created for this car. Furthermore, I think my car is running a bit hotter than factory specs would suggest anyhow. If I'm wrong and my engine is typical then just freakin' buy you a 2013 GT and enjoy the best, strongest baadest Mustang GT ever!
Old 05-17-2013, 12:48 PM
derboesekoenig
1st Gear Member

WTF ^ lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2013 GT Test Drive -- Bad Experience