Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Burning smell and coolant level

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 03:15 PM
SterlingGTVert
1st Gear Member

Default Burning smell and coolant level

Hi guys,

I've got about 4k miles on my 10' GT and have been getting a burning smell occasionally since day one. Alot of cars smell when new so I didn't think much of it. But the smell still hasn't gone...if anything it's getting worse. It could be coolant or could be electrical...I just don't know.

I took it to the dealer at the end of last summer and they couldn't smell it or find anything melted or burnt.(of course they couldn't smell it in the shop...their whole shop smells like burnt fluids).

Anyway what is the factory fill level for the coolant on the 2010 4.6's? I ask as I my cold coolant level BARELY touches the bottom/minimum "cold range" line on the side of coolant tank. I'm wondering if it's leaking somewhere and "splashing" on the motor. It seems to smell the most after a hard run and then engine is off and has sat for a little while. My whole garage is filled with the strong smell.

Thanks for any help,
Ken
Old 03-15-2012, 03:51 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Water pump weep hole is where i'd check. Locate the water pump, find a little hole in the neck that faces downward. Check for discoloration around that hole. Discoloration is evidence of a bad waterpump bearing seal.

My 00 mustang had a leak there. It wasn't enough to drip but it would seep out, evaporate, stink up the whole place, and drop my coolant level.
Old 03-15-2012, 05:04 PM
SterlingGTVert
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
Water pump weep hole is where i'd check. Locate the water pump, find a little hole in the neck that faces downward. Check for discoloration around that hole. Discoloration is evidence of a bad waterpump bearing seal.

My 00 mustang had a leak there. It wasn't enough to drip but it would seep out, evaporate, stink up the whole place, and drop my coolant level.
Thanks I'll check out the water pump.

I've not noticed dripping or anything on the floor so if it's a leak it's not bad.

As far as my coolant level I don't recall what it was when I bought it new 18 months ago but right now the level on my car is barely(by a whisker) touching the minimum line. I'm assuming that would be considered a little low and with only 4k miles on the car that coolant has had to of gone somewhere.

Thanks again,
Ken
Old 03-15-2012, 09:18 PM
xkape
4th Gear Member

interesting.. im in the OP's boat.. ive got a supercharger and i always chalked it up to that but I've never felt right about it. No leaking, no smoking, burning, etc... just a "different" kind of smell. But the coolant is foamy is and stuck to the sides in the top (empty area) of the tank and is not a color id call beautiful... Ive posted about it but, no ones ever responded.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:59 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by xkape
interesting.. im in the OP's boat.. ive got a supercharger and i always chalked it up to that but I've never felt right about it. No leaking, no smoking, burning, etc... just a "different" kind of smell. But the coolant is foamy is and stuck to the sides in the top (empty area) of the tank and is not a color id call beautiful... Ive posted about it but, no ones ever responded.
Did you add any type of coolant additive like water wetter to the motorcraft coolant? The water wetter doesn't mix well with the Ford coolant, ime.
Old 05-10-2012, 03:56 PM
SterlingGTVert
1st Gear Member

Well last week I took to another local Ford dealership(the largest in the area)and they still couldn't find the source of the smell. They kept it all day and the tech said there's no leaks anywhere and that it's likely still the "new" burning off. With around 4k on the clock I'm having a hard time with that answer.

I'm thinking now it's something plastic or rubber getting too hot and/or melting but I can't find anything.