Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs > GT S197 General Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 05-10-2012, 08:43 PM   #1
UofHmustang
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2012 GT
Default Are cutouts reasonable for our cars?

My firebird I used to have, had one behind the offroad y-pipe and long tube headers resulting in a very nice sound. It also added 10 rwhp on the dyno. I had the quietest flowmaster I could find so I could cap the cutout and have pleasant road trips. Is this concept feasible with my 2012, or would the sound be horrible? Would there be too little back pressure?

I ready to start modding it, but all the axle-backs I've heard on sound clips that are loud also give drone. The ones like roush that are quieter are too raspy for my taste.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!

Last edited by UofHmustang; 05-10-2012 at 08:48 PM.
UofHmustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:13 PM   #2
joshetc
2nd Gear Member

If you have a cutout and your car is not moving, wont the exhaust leak into the car?
BMR Billet LCAs
3.73:1 Ring and Pinion
joshetc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:26 PM   #3
Rylay
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2006,Ford,Mustang GT
RYLAY

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshetc View Post
If you have a cutout and your car is not moving, wont the exhaust leak into the car?
no, the cutouts would either be right before the mufflers or cats and in either case won't blow into the passenger cabin.

Performance: JLT Series 3 CAI, Pypes mms cat-back and BAMA tuned.
Appearance: Motegi mr116 wheels, tinted tails sidemarkers and front turn signals, blue LED map lights, Honeycomb rear decklid, Matte black hash marks, Cropped my antennae to 14", Meter4it chase tail lights, mustang 3rd brake light, tinted windows, red painted calipers.
Rylay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 12:51 AM   #4
UofHmustang
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshetc View Post
Mine never did. The only time you ever smelled fumes was if you stood right in front of the right rear wheel. Even then it was very little.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:34 PM   #5
clowe1965
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2011 Ford Mustang, 1965 Ford Mustang
clydenator 6000

Exhaust fumes getting into the car are not an issue, cars have too many air leaks to trap enough carbon monoxide inside to present a problem. Closed, garage, different issue.
Also I've heard the pypes muffler deletes and the rasp is there, so I imagine the cutouts would have the same effect.
Are you talkng about electric cutouts or something you remove before going to the track?
Why not try getting an exhaust setup similar to the boss?
clowe1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 09:42 PM   #6
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2007 GT
Send a message via AIM to Nuke Send a message via Yahoo to Nuke Send a message via Skype™ to Nuke

After the H-pipe and you really won't gain much other than a pretty unpleasant exhaust note. The 3v's just don't usually sound good with straight pipes and I believe it also applies to the 5.0. Before the cats and you'll throw a code unless you get a tune to turn off the O2's. HOWEVER, I'm assuming that what applies to the 4.6L also applies to the 5.0. I may be wrong.
07 GT Prem: Alloy, MT, 3.55's, Steeda CAI w/Brenspeed tunes, FRPP Stingers, 275/40/18 Goodyear Eagle F1 A/S on SVT Cobras (OE GT500's), 14" shorty, Wheelskin side scoops & qtr window louvers, A-H rear window louvers, SHR honeycomb blackout panel, Sequentials, Hella Optilux Extreme XY fogs, Silverstars
06 V6: Legend Lime, Pony Package, 14" shorty, Sequentials, Hella Optilux Extreme XY fogs, Silverstars
Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 05:38 AM   #7
UofHmustang
2nd Gear Member

Some very interesting info. I think I'm going to just do a long tube, x-pipe, and good axle-back setup. I got the American Thunder axle backs already because they were only $300. Only thing that sucks about buying my mustang now is I have to hold off on going crazy for a couple months because I'm buying a house next this summer.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:33 PM   #8
///Moose

Vehicle: 2007 Mustang GT Conv

getting a custom setup like the Boss would be pretty cool; someone should post if they've done any custom work like that.
///Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 07:52 AM   #9
kateramsey7
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 2005 Mustang GT

IMO the sound would be pretty loud unless you used some sound deadening material in the interior
kateramsey7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 07:52 AM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
2012, back, camera, car, cut, cutouts, gt, mount, mustang, outs, powered, s197, stupidcams, vbulletin