Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Supercharger or drivetrain issue? Ugh?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 07:43 AM
04stangman
2nd Gear Member

Default Supercharger or drivetrain issue? Ugh?

Hi guys I need some help diagnosing an issues that just started today.

I have a 2009 Shelby gt500. She only has 20,000 miles on her and I put everyone on her, she has always ran strong. Yesterday morning I decided to play with another stang on the freeway. I have her on cruise doing at 64, I down shift to 4th gear...hit the gas and my car seems like it lags or looses power, my rpms raise about 2500 up about 5000 then my supercharger kicks in and the car speeds up.

Now after I come home I tried to disconnect the battery and reset the system and it didnt do anything. I checked all the lines I could.... and I looked the whole engine over. I cant find a thing.... my check engine light isn’t on.. the car seems to run ok until I press the gas pedal to engage the supercharger.... now my rpms raise, the supercharger makes the winding sound then the engine rpms go down and I cant accelerate very fast.

So After That battery reset didn’t fix the problem.... after that test drive me check engine light comes on. I pull the mass airflow sensor thinking it might be dirty and causing false readings. I pull it out, blow it off with some canned air and drive the car to work this morning. Still the car drives and acts normal, until I try and engage the supercharger. The check engine light is off now though....
Old 05-24-2012, 08:29 AM
ziperhead
2nd Gear Member

See if you can retrieve the code that set your check engine light on. If you do not have a device to do this most auto part stores will read them for free.
Just a thought, check your inter cooler circuit and ensure you have flow. When your car has high IAT's it will run like a dog
Old 05-24-2012, 09:17 AM
04stangman
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ziperhead
See if you can retrieve the code that set your check engine light on. If you do not have a device to do this most auto part stores will read them for free.
Just a thought, check your inter cooler circuit and ensure you have flow. When your car has high IAT's it will run like a dog
Thanks bro, any more good ideas?
Old 05-24-2012, 09:31 AM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Get that code. Your car is trying to tell you something. Could be fuel or boost related.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:08 AM
04stangman
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by siggyfreud
Get that code. Your car is trying to tell you something. Could be fuel or boost related.
Get the code, gotcha. Are al lthe codes stored in the cars computer, or only when the light is on?
Old 05-24-2012, 10:49 AM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Not sure with this car. On others, some are stored until cleared, others until battery reset, and others until the light goes off.

What is your boost gauge doing when it's dropping power? Any pops/smoke/fuel smell when it bogs?

Do you have a tuner where you can datalog and post some logs up?

Would also be nice to see what the fuel pressure is doing.

When you accelerate in other, lower gears, does it still do it if you mildly apply throttle (75%) versus 100% throttle?
Old 05-24-2012, 11:00 AM
04stangman
2nd Gear Member

My boost gauge goes up a little bit, no unual noise that I can tell other than it sounding like something is lagging in the rear end becasue of the loss of power. The more throttle I give the car, the worse it gets and the more the rpms raise excessively. It seems like however, the symtoms get worse on the higher gears.....

I dont have a tuner, I wish I did though.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:42 PM
W1ldcat
3rd Gear Member

Could it be your clutch?
Old 05-24-2012, 01:53 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Sounds like your clutch is slipping, if boost drops, then maybe your belt is slipping.

Can you smell burnt clutch? The clutch will slip easier in higher gears.
Old 05-24-2012, 02:18 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Get the code for the check engine light first, see what it says but yes I agree with moosestang, clutch issue.

Quick Reply: Supercharger or drivetrain issue? Ugh?