Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Exhaust installation question

Old 06-30-2012, 09:26 AM
l00kitzzlilcj
2nd Gear Member

Default Exhaust installation question

Hey guys, I got a 2006 GT. I'm looking to bump up the exhaust to a more aggressive tone, not screaming loud like SLP loudmouths, but cleaner.

Im not sure where to begin but here's what I have planned out. Ive decided between bassani, pypes violator, or flowmaster hushpower for Axle Back. Later though, I want BBK LT headers with their shorty xpipe for the mid.

If I take one of those axle backs and purchase the BBK parts later on, will every fit with no problem? I plan to do this in my friends garage with my tools and his lift. Also, if you have any suggestions go right ahead and let me know, as I want to know other peoples opinions and stuff
Old 06-30-2012, 10:22 AM
Old Mustanger
3rd Gear Member

The hushpowers should be significantly quieter than the others, especially the Bassani.

I presently have a Bassani catted X-pipe and flowmaster American Thunder vat-backs. It is too loud for me, the cops can hear me at quite a distance and the drone at 45-60MPH is pretty bad.
If I had it to do over, I would try the Hushpower cat-backs.
Old 06-30-2012, 10:36 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

There are simply way too many axleback, X vs H pipe, catted/non-catted available to comment on but most of the forum members have theirs in their sig. It's really a personal preference.
Old 06-30-2012, 02:50 PM
l00kitzzlilcj
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Old Mustanger
The hushpowers should be significantly quieter than the others, especially the Bassani.

I presently have a Bassani catted X-pipe and flowmaster American Thunder vat-backs. It is too loud for me, the cops can hear me at quite a distance and the drone at 45-60MPH is pretty bad.
If I had it to do over, I would try the Hushpower cat-backs.
Americanmuscle.com said the hushpowers were louder than the American thunders I think or something like that. I want a flowing exhaust that breathes nice like the magnaflow axle back but louder. So if I do the hushpower cat-backs and get bbk LT headers with their mid xpipe, it's not going to fit or is it?
Old 06-30-2012, 04:20 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Here is your problem. If you buy a axle back that sounds great now as soon as you add longtubes the tone is gonna change big time. You will then probably have to change your mufflers again. Do the headers first then the muffs.
Old 06-30-2012, 08:31 PM
BlackGT45th
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 808muscle
Here is your problem. If you buy a axle back that sounds great now as soon as you add longtubes the tone is gonna change big time. You will then probably have to change your mufflers again. Do the headers first then the muffs.
^ This.

If you are really wanting to do an axleback first though, I'd suggest finding some videos of the BBK LTs and x pipe with the various axlebacks you have on your list to get an idea of how it will sound. Otherwise, just like 808muscle said you may end up not liking the sound and have to change the axlebacks again.
Old 07-01-2012, 10:43 AM
l00kitzzlilcj
2nd Gear Member

I see. So basically the only problem there will be with all this is only the way it will sound. I should find a more muffled exhaust like magnaflow I guess to compensate for the LT headers noise. What are some good setups that have aggressive clean tones but not screaming loud?
Old 07-01-2012, 11:04 AM
08caliGT
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by l00kitzzlilcj
I see. So basically the only problem there will be with all this is only the way it will sound. I should find a more muffled exhaust like magnaflow I guess to compensate for the LT headers noise. What are some good setups that have aggressive clean tones but not screaming loud?
I have borla stingers, with my stock pipes it was a deep growl. I did a lot video hunting before I decided. I have pypes o/r h now and it had a nice idle. Now it has frpp cams and I'm looking into longtubes. I have a few videos I can post when I'm home..
Old 07-02-2012, 07:58 PM
l00kitzzlilcj
2nd Gear Member

How does all the pipe fitting work though? Like Let's say I go bbk long tubes & bbk xpipe (which obviously fit together) but then the axle back will be a different brand, for example let's say, bassani
Old 07-03-2012, 04:57 PM
08caliGT
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by l00kitzzlilcj
How does all the pipe fitting work though? Like Let's say I go bbk long tubes & bbk xpipe (which obviously fit together) but then the axle back will be a different brand, for example let's say, bassani
axelbacks connect to the overaxel pipes, completely seperate from headers and a mid pipe.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Exhaust installation question