Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

I really need to pass emissions... How do I get this light out?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 04:40 PM
JediGuy

Default I really need to pass emissions... How do I get this light out?

So, when I first bought my 06 GT, a check engine light was on. I replaced the left O2 sensor, since that is what the shop said it needed. The light went off. A little while later, it came back on, with a different code. I didn't worry about it because I didn't have to pass emissions for another 10 months... right. Also, I put on a CAI and tune, so when I ran the performance/race tunes, the light was out anyway.

So now, I put the 87 Street tune on and the there is the light. The code is 0430.

I have an Airaid Race CAI, stock engine, fresh oil, high-flow cats, Bassani X-pipe, and Flowmaster axle-backs. The PO installed the exhaust, so I do not have the stock system.

What steps would you recommend I take toward getting this light out?

I currently see two options, but welcome ANY suggestions.

1) Put on spark plug anti-foulers and do the battery unplug deal. (However, if the testing center checks for tampering as they claim, wouldn't this earn me a fine?)
2) Buy used stock exhaust system and put it on for emissions.

Are the anti-foulers a Plug and Play deal, or will I need to do some drilling, etc?

Thanks for your help. I know this is a long post.
Old 09-07-2012, 04:51 PM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

You have a tuner right? Data log it and bring it up on your computer and see what values it gives.. that code sounds like a O2 sensor problem running

Also sounds like you can just go back to your 93 tune and it was running fine right? Why not just do that?
Old 09-07-2012, 05:14 PM
JediGuy

Thanks, I'll do the data log when I get home in a few minutes. I'll have to figure it out.

The car runs fine no matter what tune I'm on... Emissions testing is the problem here. My assumption is that BAMA deleted the O2 sensors for the Performance and Race tunes, which would cause me to fail emissions due to reading "not ready" or something similar. The sensors are activated for the Street tune, but that causes the code.
Old 09-07-2012, 05:23 PM
s197hoonage

Just did this myself (two days ago). If you have good O2 sensors and cats run it on the stock tune for a day, thatll clear the computer. Then run the emissions, once you pass you can tune it back.
Old 09-08-2012, 12:24 AM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

search search search...
easiest is to put an antifouler on driver side rear o2 sensor (p0430 is driver side). Clear codes, drive a few days. See what happens.

The high-flow cats look to the pcm like the cats have gone bad. Altering the signal takes care of that.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:39 PM
jpplaw
3rd Gear Member

Like tx says, the high flow cats are the problem. Anti-foulers only work for about 10% of everyone who tries them. Easiest and most fool-proof fix, if you do not have long tube or mid-length headers, is to swap in a stock mid pipe.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:12 PM
Chevy Convert
2nd Gear Member

Same code for me but passenger side. The non fouler trick worked. Post emissions I took it out. Next year I'll try it again and if doesn't work I will put on stock mid pipe. I am running high flow cats....
Old 09-15-2012, 08:53 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Use the FORCE young Jedi...

Or any of the above advice.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:42 PM
JediGuy

Thanks for the help, guys. My worries were pointless. I drilled out a non-fouler, placed it into another non-fouler, plugged my O2 sensor in, cleared the code, waited for the computer to drop the P1000 "not ready" code, and passed this morning. No more check engine light.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:48 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

glad you passed!

Quick Reply: I really need to pass emissions... How do I get this light out?