Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Cat-Back Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 07:40 AM
JMacATL

Question Cat-Back Question

Hi Everyone,

I am new here so please excuse this question as I know it has been beat to death in the past. I have a more specific question though. I just bought a 2013 GT/CS and had the Magnaflow Competition series with X Pipe installed.

The installer told me there would be drone in the car but man is it loud at around 2k RPM's. It doesn't really bother me but my four year old son hates it. I have an appointment scheduled for Monday to switch to the Magnaflow "Street" and keep the X Pipe.

Question, hopefully for someone who has this setup, is will this fix my drone problem without losing all of the great sound? I wasn't sure if the X Pipe might be playing a factor in the drone or if was simply the cat-back (or combo)?

Thanks in advance and for such a great forum! Glad to be here.

Jason
Old 09-29-2012, 07:02 PM
JMacATL

Anybody?
Old 09-29-2012, 08:34 PM
Boss_Hotrod
5th Gear Member

The muffler is usually what causes the drone. Cant speak for the magnaflow stuff since Ive never used it. Ive got Borla S-Type on the boss and it doesnt drone at any RPM. Now the Flowbastards on the 5.0 is a different story, but damn do they sound good on it.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:08 PM
xkape
4th Gear Member

The X just created more of a raspy suond IMO. Nothing to do with drone. When it comes to exhaust, its like a trial and error process since so mnay people mix and match different brand name parts. I have 0 drone at any RPM. I am running MAC long tube headers, MAC Midpipe and Roush Extreme catback.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:37 PM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by xkape
The X just created more of a raspy suond IMO. Nothing to do with drone. When it comes to exhaust, its like a trial and error process since so mnay people mix and match different brand name parts. I have 0 drone at any RPM. I am running MAC long tube headers, MAC Midpipe and Roush Extreme catback.
This..

Everyone complains about how bad the Roush cat-back drones and I have no issues with it. Just a mix of parts and plus it's so damn loud I wouldn't hear a drone anyway..

As for your question OP, that might fix the problem, it might now.. The x-pipe however is not the culprit of the drone.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:59 PM
JMacATL

Originally Posted by TRexGAWD
This..

Everyone complains about how bad the Roush cat-back drones and I have no issues with it. Just a mix of parts and plus it's so damn loud I wouldn't hear a drone anyway..

As for your question OP, that might fix the problem, it might now.. The x-pipe however is not the culprit of the drone.
Thanks for the feedback. I guess I will try the "Street" series with the X Pipe and see how it sounds.