Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

For the street: Truetrac or Traction-LOK Rebuild?

Old 09-29-2012, 04:57 PM
Ablaze
1st Gear Member

Default For the street: Truetrac or Traction-LOK Rebuild?

I'm soon to purchase some 4.10s depending how good of a deal I get on these new tires. My goal is to build a complete street champion from top to bottom so I'm planning long run here but I don't want to throw money away either. Most people I've seen that run on the street just purchase their gears and go about their business very happy. I was going to get the traction-lok rebuild kit with the carbon discs and call it a day.. but at the same time I read that eventually my differential will need rebuilding and I'll have wished I went with the truetrac in the beginning, so that is on my list now instead. I have 40k miles on her right now and it will be supercharged eventually, absolutely, but will see very little to zero track time, strip or otherwise (daily driver, I work more than I get to play)

Truetrac, just the gears alone, or gears and rebuild kit?
Old 09-29-2012, 05:29 PM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

IMO I think the truetrac would be a waste as it's just an LSD like the one you have now only made by Eaton.. If you're not building a track car that's going to see some serious launches (at that point I would invest in a detroit locker, really uncomfortable on the street though) then no need for any so called "upgrade".... Your stock trac-lok should suffice, it's already pretty good. Not a bad idea for a rebuild though since you're already in there and if you have the cash around..
Old 09-29-2012, 07:42 PM
Ablaze
1st Gear Member

Very glad to hear that, I'm going to shoot for the rebuild kit instead. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't losing any street performance which it honestly looks like I'm not.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:50 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

I have an Eaton trutrac and its awesome. I burned up the stock clutch packs and needed something that could handle my car at the track. I race my car every month, 75+ runs a year. I also daily drive my car. Trutrac handles great on the street. It really digs around corners and plants the power. If your not planning much track time, then just rebuild the stocker.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:58 PM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 808muscle
I have an Eaton trutrac and its awesome. I burned up the stock clutch packs and needed something that could handle my car at the track. I race my car every month, 75+ runs a year. I also daily drive my car. Trutrac handles great on the street. It really digs around corners and plants the power. If your not planning much track time, then just rebuild the stocker.
That's kind of where I was going.. I have nothing against the true-trac, but since he said he just wanted a street car that wasn't going to see the track very much if any I think it would be a wast.. For a nice daily driver with street/strip capabilities it would be pretty awesome.. Stree only though, I don't see the need to spend a few extra hundred dollars.
Old 09-30-2012, 12:17 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

We are on the same page for sure. I just wanted to add my perspective since I have a truetrac, race the hell out of my car as well as DD it. If your not racing, why spend more if you dont have to. Lots of folks rebuild those clutches.
Old 10-01-2012, 03:22 PM
retfr8flyr
3rd Gear Member

It all depends on the power levels you plan on running. For anything up to about 400rwhp the stock traction lock, with some carbon fiber clutches, is fine. If you are planning more then that I would go with a Trutrac. The Trutrac is nothing like the stock traction lock, as it is gear driven unlike the stock with it's clutches and is good for about 550-600rwhp. If you are going for more power then that your only real options are the Detroit Locker, which isn't really fun on the street, or the new Wavetrac is supposed to be very good but I don't have any personal experience with it.

Earl
Old 10-01-2012, 03:39 PM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by retfr8flyr
It all depends on the power levels you plan on running. For anything up to about 400rwhp the stock traction lock, with some carbon fiber clutches, is fine. If you are planning more then that I would go with a Trutrac. The Trutrac is nothing like the stock traction lock, as it is gear driven unlike the stock with it's clutches and is good for about 550-600rwhp. If you are going for more power then that your only real options are the Detroit Locker, which isn't really fun on the street, or the new Wavetrac is supposed to be very good but I don't have any personal experience with it.

Earl
500rwhp here.. No problems with the trac-lok.. power doesn't dictate what drivetraing part can handle, it's torque and how much you are applying when tacking gear and traction into account.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:17 PM
retfr8flyr
3rd Gear Member

I was using HP, as most people equate power to HP not torque. Ok you have 500rwhp in your car. Now put a set of slicks on the car and start launching at 5000 rpm and see how long your stock Track-lok holds up.

I am referring to the rear holding up under drag launch conditions. If you are just going to drive around on the street and not take your car to the track, then the stock rear will be fine. If you plan on running your car at the track, I stand by my recommendations but what do I know, I've only been racing cars for 50 years.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:28 PM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by retfr8flyr
I was using HP, as most people equate power to HP not torque. Ok you have 500rwhp in your car. Now put a set of slicks on the car and start launching at 5000 rpm and see how long your stock Track-lok holds up.

I am referring to the rear holding up under drag launch conditions. If you are just going to drive around on the street and not take your car to the track, then the stock rear will be fine. If you plan on running your car at the track, I stand by my recommendations but what do I know, I've only been racing cars for 50 years.
That's fine that you've been racing for 50 years, you still missed OPs question.. And I agree with you about strip/slick use.. However, he said he has no intention of tracking the car normally, therefore it is pointless to use a true-trac.. If you would have read what 808muscle and I had said you would have seen that though.. I only read though, so what do I know

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: For the street: Truetrac or Traction-LOK Rebuild?