Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Headers Ruined My Exhaust!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 03:07 PM
retfr8flyr
3rd Gear Member

Get the Zoomers cat back http://www.zoomersexhaust.com/cat-ba...g-gt-4-6l.html I have these and they sound great, have zero drone and very little restriction to the flow. I went through about 5 different exhaust setups looking for the sound I wanted.

Earl
Old 10-02-2012, 08:24 AM
RADTech

Let me tell ya, by far I think the absolute best sounding exhaust setup is stock manifolds and converters with the Roush off-road catback midpipes and muffler delete kit. The heavy factory exhaust manifolds produce much deeper burble. I mistakenly thought headers would sound even better but it is the opposite; headers are long thin tubes that seem to disperse low frequency sound waves so the tone is much higher. Then your V8 sounds like a V6. Also, factory cats are like heavy mufflers and seem to contribute to low tone and the compact glass packs in these Roush off-road midpipes are all the muffler you need, thus the muffler delete tailpipes in this kit. I HIGHLY recommend this setup, mine sounded so fantastic that if it weren't for the big HP gain, I'd be yanking the headers and reverting back to the above. But I'm a horse power guy so I'm determined to make them work somehow.

By the way, if anyone wants a deal on this $600 Roush off-road catback kit, I only used it a month or so and its stainless steel and like new. I might let it go for a good offer. Need $$ to afford Bassanis!
Old 10-02-2012, 08:56 AM
Rocket254
2nd Gear Member

H pipe, no cats, Borla Stingers.

You're welcome.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:02 PM
08caliGT
1st Gear Member

I have an x pipe with borlas, I really want some longtubes though but they have a nice deep tone and when I get on it turns heads. Cabin noise isn't bad at all.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:37 PM
xkape
4th Gear Member

OK my 4 year old took the video, what can I say but... since you seem willing to spend the money, perhaps someone can make the extremes fit your car. I had to have custom axle back pipes made and this thing is supposed to fit my car..lol

anyways.. MAC LT's, MAC Prochamber, no cats and Roush Extreme exhaust. Ask my neighbors...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQpHTIE3Uk0
Old 10-02-2012, 09:36 PM
Ricardo
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blacksmoke
When we got long tube headers on our 06GT we had the same problem.
Went through four different mufflers and finally had success with the Bassani Race exhaust mufflers.
I second Bassani. BSmoke's car wasn't much louder than mine and I have stock exhaust manifolds and my x pipe is catted. We both ran Bassani Race mufflers and his car just sounded meaner. They might be pretty expensive but worth every cent for a reason. I have yet to see a post complaining about them.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:24 PM
Shift
2nd Gear Member

I have Corsa X Pipe and Corsa Xtreme Axlebacks. Don't have headers though. I am considering doing Kooks Longtubes. I feel they'll be fine together.
So to answer, go with a race style exhaust setup. Bassani, Corsa, Borla etc. Longtubes help with high flow so you should have a setup that continues that all the way through.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:31 AM
RADTech

Yeah well if you like your exhaust sound with cast iron manifolds, x-pipe etc., refer to the title of this thread. Headers will COMPLETELY change everything acoustically. The coveted super deep burble will be a thing of the past. Your mufflers will sound entirely different. On the flip side however, you will love the huge HP gain. On my first test drive with headers I thought I was going to do a wheelie. What a difference! Like my old '70 Mach 1 with the 351 Cleveland I built...what a thrill ride!

BTW, I would recommend the Kooks long tubes based on my install. Fit was perfect and quality excellent. Removing the manifolds was by far the most tedious part. Headers dropped right in.

So you guys with headers installed concur that race style straight-through, NON-chambered mufflers don't drone too bad? Is it mostly a factor of spending the money for a top of the line brand? Because the ones I've tried all suck but cost under $400.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:45 PM
retfr8flyr
3rd Gear Member

When I was NA, with the stock H pipe, I had Corsa cat backs and really liked the sound quality. When I added LT headers and an offroad x pipe the sound changed completely and made the Corsa very raspy sounding. I tried about every system available and everything either didn't sound right or had terrible drone. I couldn't find the sound I wanted. Then I tried the Zoomers and they were great, sound is just what I want and no drone at all.

When I went with my turbos I was worried about what they would do to the sound quality but the Zoomers still sound great with my turbo setup.

Earl
Old 10-05-2012, 10:54 AM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by RADTech
Yeah well if you like your exhaust sound with cast iron manifolds, x-pipe etc., refer to the title of this thread. Headers will COMPLETELY change everything acoustically. The coveted super deep burble will be a thing of the past. Your mufflers will sound entirely different. On the flip side however, you will love the huge HP gain. On my first test drive with headers I thought I was going to do a wheelie. What a difference! Like my old '70 Mach 1 with the 351 Cleveland I built...what a thrill ride!

BTW, I would recommend the Kooks long tubes based on my install. Fit was perfect and quality excellent. Removing the manifolds was by far the most tedious part. Headers dropped right in.

So you guys with headers installed concur that race style straight-through, NON-chambered mufflers don't drone too bad? Is it mostly a factor of spending the money for a top of the line brand? Because the ones I've tried all suck but cost under $400.

Straight through non-chambered mufflers don't really drone at all. But, it will be extremely loud and pretty raspy too. Honestly, it's a trade off, which ever you do. I really like your LT & catted Xpipe, with GT500 mufflers. It does have some drone, but it's just the right pitch and seems to be the best in my opinion. Then again, you're dealing with the tip length problem again...

Have you looked into Borla S-type axle backs? I always thought they sounded pretty good with LT's as well. Hope one of these options works or helps you!

Shnae

Quick Reply: Headers Ruined My Exhaust!!!