Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

storing car

Old 10-14-2012, 01:42 PM
dunnp650

Default storing car

will be putting mustang up for winter,put addition on pole barn for storage I was wandering cover car or not nice sealed barn but not heated. going to run car down to1/2 tank of gas and put stable in . Will wax up body and wheels (new bullet chrome wheels) any thing i'm missing thanks in advance for any help
Old 10-14-2012, 04:13 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Use the search feature. My fingers get tired repeating the same thing. There a re quite a few things to do, some almost mandatory, others preference.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:23 PM
1stSHO
1st Gear Member

Im so glad i dont live up north...You can never enjoy your cars all year.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:17 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Remove the battery and put it on a tender. Get the car off the ground, preferably with the suspension loaded but if you can't keep it loaded in the front, just prop something under the front tires so they aren't hanging all the way down and spin them a little every couple weeks. Put the stabil in at 1/2 tank, and then try to get the fuel as low as possible. The "low fuel" warning should be on. Pull the fuse for the fuel pump and crank it until it dies (before removing the battery, obviously). When winter is over, put the battery and fuel pump fuse back in, change the oil and the fuel filter and fill the tank with a couple of fresh 5 gallon jugs of fuel before restarting. There are probably things I'm forgetting, but this is a good start.
Old 10-14-2012, 11:37 PM
ResQman
2nd Gear Member

Diabolical!
I understand all your advice right up to the suspension part. Please explain the rationale for doing this. Also, why would you "Spin" the tires every couple weeks?

Lastly, and I am not bitchin' but when we store our boat for the winter, we put Stabil fuel stabilizer in then fill the tank, then run it for 20 minutes or so, fog the engine to prevent corrosion of the cylinders, then shut it off for the winter. Why would you run the tank almost dry? You are just leaving more room for condensation to develop inside the tank..... Just askin'

For what it's worth, I use Stabil fuel Stabilizer in a full tank, back her into the garage, shut it off, and park it for four months of deep freeze. No blocks, no carpet under the tires, no steel wool in the exhaust pipe, no moth ***** in the car, no freshener, and no battery tender. Four months later, start her up, check the tires and fluids, drive away happy. But, that's just me... Just sayin'

R
Old 10-15-2012, 06:04 AM
JimC

Originally Posted by 1stSHO
Im so glad i dont live up north...You can never enjoy your cars all year.
Why not? I drove my 2006 convertible year round with no problems. Nothing better than getting into the first warm day of spring and dropping that top for the first time each year!

The only reason I'm looking for a winter car now is because my wife suggested getting a car for the winter and keeping some miles off the new Mustang (the 2006 had 203,000 on it when I sold it in June) since my commute is 45 miles one way each day.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:48 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ResQman
Diabolical!
I understand all your advice right up to the suspension part. Please explain the rationale for doing this. Also, why would you "Spin" the tires every couple weeks?
If you let the suspension hang completely and sit for months that way then it will "stretch" the springs/shocks/struts. They will be less likely to return to their full loaded ability. The only reason you would have to spin the front tires a little is to prevent flat-spotting if you are supporting the suspension from the tire.

Lastly, and I am not bitchin' but when we store our boat for the winter, we put Stabil fuel stabilizer in then fill the tank, then run it for 20 minutes or so, fog the engine to prevent corrosion of the cylinders, then shut it off for the winter. Why would you run the tank almost dry? You are just leaving more room for condensation to develop inside the tank..... Just askin'
Two reasons. Fuel breaks down over time. Even with stabil in place, the fuel you put in is not the fuel that will be in there 4 months later. Also, even the best fuel contains some water. That condensation that builds inside your tank comes mostly from the fuel itself as fuel and water separate over time. It's better to load the tank with fresh fuel (before start-up) after it has been sitting than before.

For what it's worth, I use Stabil fuel Stabilizer in a full tank, back her into the garage, shut it off, and park it for four months of deep freeze. No blocks, no carpet under the tires, no steel wool in the exhaust pipe, no moth ***** in the car, no freshener, and no battery tender. Four months later, start her up, check the tires and fluids, drive away happy. But, that's just me... Just sayin'
Some people have better luck than others, but that's a great way to flat-spot your tires and drain your battery down to the point that it's not chargeable.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:17 AM
dunnp650

never thought about battery I have a tender (sold harley) probably will put carpet under tires thanks for help
Old 10-25-2012, 07:34 AM
95 BLOWN GT
5th Gear Member

i use stabill and top off the tank also....carpet under car for vapor barrier to help underbody from rust..i dont jack up the car but push it back forth every 3 weeks.steel wool in exhaust keep out critters....2 fabric sheets in car smells nice...battery in the house...and cover the car.worked great the last 5 years.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:14 AM
nolimits

Winter's not that long. It doesn't hurt to do all of those things, but for a few months of storage it's not really a necessity. Even gas should stay ok without added stabilizers (although it does tend to drop in octane). A car cover is nice, and if rodent's are potential problem you may want a plan for that (I used to use dryer sheets). I fill the tank, clean it, and throw a car cover on it. I'll usually change the oil when I get back to driving it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: storing car