Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Tow package

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 10:19 PM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

We used to tow a small boat with our minivan, but it kept eating the transmission. The boat and trailer were WELL within the tow limits. Even though the minivan and its frame were rated to tow 1000 pounds, the transmission was not rated to handle the additional strain put on it. If it's not specifically built for towing, you won't find me towing anything with it, been stuck on the side of a road a few too many times.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:30 PM
wingless
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by baddog671
I'd hate to laugh at the guy trying to launch a boat with a Mustang, and watch the boat drag the car into the water...

Boat ramps can be very, very slippery.

Even 4WD vehicles have a hard time stopping, much less yanking the whole rig out of the water. I was helping a buddy yank his 24' w/ a 4WD pickup and it took two full-sized guys standing on the tongue to get enough traction.

Sometimes it is even hard to stand on the ramps w/o falling.

I think the city should pressure wash the slime off the ramps once a week at low tide AND once a month at moon low tide.

Boat launch ramps are a free source of entertainment for the bored.

My '65 Mustang had a hitch and I never had a problem using it for a Sunfish sailboat.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:41 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

I never tow anywhere near the rated limit with any vehicle, and I would never tow with a mustang unless there was absolutely no other option. My truck is rated to tow up to 8800 lbs, but I don't feel comfortable towing more than 5000 lbs with it, and that's with a weight distributing hitch, sway bars and trailer brakes. I'd really try to avoid towing with a mustang.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:16 PM
modru2004
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Diabolical!
I never tow anywhere near the rated limit with any vehicle, and I would never tow with a mustang unless there was absolutely no other option. My truck is rated to tow up to 8800 lbs, but I don't feel comfortable towing more than 5000 lbs with it, and that's with a weight distributing hitch, sway bars and trailer brakes. I'd really try to avoid towing with a mustang.

ya, im with ^ get you a decent used full size pickup if you can swing it. you will be better off for it in the long run. having the pickup to haul/tow is just to damned useful.

an enclosed motorcycle trailer will be way to heavy for a stang. a small open single bike trailer like someone linked might work ok.

even small open utility trailers can weight upwards of 500lbs unloaded.

http://www.uhaul.com/Reservations/Eq....aspx?model=UV theres uhauls smallest enclosed. 3.5 ft high most definently wouldn't fit a motorcycle but look at the weight.

http://www.uhaul.com/Reservations/Eq....aspx?model=FS

there smallest open utility trailer. again look at the weight.

http://www.uhaul.com/Reservations/Eq....aspx?model=MT

uhauls open motorcycle trailer. again look at the empty weight.

any one of these with your average 500lb+ motorcycle would easily exceed a mustangs tow rating.

your only option is what wingless posted if you HAVE to tow with your mustang. but your going to be limited to one motorcycle and whatever you can pack into your mustang for the trip.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:28 AM
LTBrink

Towing will be a rare occurrence for me. I am moving across the country and need to move some household stuff and a Harley. I used to tow and launch a 2500 lb boat with a 1987 Transam with no issues. Is the frame and drive train on a 2013 mustang at least as strong as a 1987 Transam?
Old 10-16-2012, 10:14 AM
wingless
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by LTBrink
Towing will be a rare occurrence for me. I am moving across the country and need to move some household stuff and a Harley. I used to tow and launch a 2500 lb boat with a 1987 Transam with no issues. Is the frame and drive train on a 2013 mustang at least as strong as a 1987 Transam?
The 1988 Firebird Service Manual states on page 415 that the trailer capacity is 1,000 lbs w/ a normal cooling system. (same as the Mustang). They require a HD cooling when that is exceeded.

The U-Haul site shows a 3,500 lb hitch as available for the 1987 Firebird. (They also show a 2,000 lb hitch for the Mustang, even though Ford rates the vehicle at 1,000 lbs.)

Do you have the Owner's Manual for the 1987 Firebird? What is the specified towing capacity?

It does look like the '87 Firebird has a higher tow capacity than the Mustang.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:25 AM
wingless
2nd Gear Member

When using an overloaded vehicle / trailer to move cross country, the things that will cause problems are when the ground isn't flat (hills or mountains, not like flat Florida), when the weather sucks (snow or rain), or when other vehicles share the road (idiots jamming on brakes or cutting your off).

There are few things more terrifying than a trailer pushing your vehicle downhill and the only option is to remain on the gas.

My suggestion is to load the vehicle properly, then ship the rest. The PODS system works fine and is reasonably priced. It works great w/ motorcycles.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:28 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by LTBrink
I am moving across the country and need to move some household stuff and a Harley.
Rent a truck and trailer from uhaul. Load the truck and tow the car. You definitely do not want to tow cross country with a mustang.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:56 AM
LTBrink

Originally Posted by Diabolical!
Rent a truck and trailer from uhaul. Load the truck and tow the car. You definitely do not want to tow cross country with a mustang.
I will look in to that idea as well. I would rather not put all those cross country miles on the stang any way.

Thank for all the advise every one.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:29 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Putting miles on the Stang is a pleasure. Towing with the Stang is not.

Quick Reply: Tow package