Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Looking at purchasing a 13GT

Old 10-16-2012, 11:26 AM
Mike-13GT

Default Looking at purchasing a 13GT

So I decided to go the fun route and instead of paying down my mortgage a little faster I thought I'd get the sports car I always wanted. May as well due it while I'm 28 and single with no kids.

So anyway I always wanted a vette but these new Stangs and in particularly the 2013, are incredibly beautiful cars to me. I've never been to huge into mustangs before but quite frankly after reading how much better these track package cars handle compared to previous stangs and then with out how beautiful and powerful these cars are - well it would be hard to pass on. So I plan on going to test drive a vette and GT this coming weekend and if I like the GT as much as I think I will, I'll be purchasing this winter.

The question I have though is when to purchase? By that i mean, since I've always wanted a sports car, I want it optioned EXACTLY the way I want it. This means a GT Premium, 6MT, Impact Blue, Recaro seats with track package. I do not want the navi setup (going aftermarket) and I have a feeling I will probably need to special order. Granted that may not be the case but I would venture that those are decent odds.

I had planned to wait until December/January to purchase and look for best deal I can. But if I need to order, do I need to purchase it sooner? Will Ford stop taking orders this year? Anybody have any idea?
Old 10-16-2012, 12:00 PM
duckbubbles
2nd Gear Member

Dec/Jan should be good for a '13 or possibly a '14 (minimal changes I am told). The new Mustangs are very nice cars. The Dealer should be able tell you when the dates are.

Frank
Old 10-16-2012, 12:11 PM
wingless
2nd Gear Member

Figure about 2 months for a special order.

Look at the dealer costs, including holdback, rebates to dealer or rebates to consumer. There is an advertising charge that shows-up on the dealer cost ledger.

The dealer needs to make a profit to close the deal. A typical good deal has them pocketing $200 to $500 per vehicle. A typical deal has them pocketing $1,000 or more per vehicle.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:19 PM
Mike-13GT

Thanks all for the advice. I'll definitely jsut see what the dealer has to say. Never I need to figure out the best way to get an aftermarket nav/audio system into this car.

As for negotiating, I have a pretty good idea what I'll be paying - financing will be pre approved by my CU or bank first, and I'll go into negotiate from there. I work in b2b sales for a living so I know how that game is played. Hell I'll probably e-mail dealers soon to get that piece working but I need to go test drive both cars first before I make any decisions.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:27 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

I usually email all local dealers so they can see each other CC'ed. Worked great when getting the price down on a new Jeep. Didn't work at all though on my last try for a Ducati. But only having 1-2 dealers per state for those gives them a lot more leeway to brush off the miserly shopper.

Good luck OP. Honestly, I think the Vette is an awesome car as well, and if you can swing a used Z06, you won't be looking back towards the Mustang.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:38 PM
solaratomic
2nd Gear Member

I know everyone will hate to hear this but with no kids I'd buy the vette. Espically as a Z06. The vette is a truer sports car than the mustang. The mustang has made great strides in handling during the S197 body run. But, I bought my 12-GT b/c I have a 2 y/o daughter and I had to have a back seat. The basic vette is much lighter w/ comparable power. A Z06 is much more powerful with the light weight and IRS. Just be aware that the C7 will probably be introduced in January or Febuary. So if you want a new one you would probably be best to wait til then.

Last edited by solaratomic; 10-16-2012 at 02:25 PM.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:38 PM
Mike-13GT

Originally Posted by siggyfreud
I usually email all local dealers so they can see each other CC'ed. Worked great when getting the price down on a new Jeep. Didn't work at all though on my last try for a Ducati. But only having 1-2 dealers per state for those gives them a lot more leeway to brush off the miserly shopper.

Good luck OP. Honestly, I think the Vette is an awesome car as well, and if you can swing a used Z06, you won't be looking back towards the Mustang.
Honestly I'm paying the car off the stang in 12-15 months. So I could swing a used Z06 but kind of hate hte idea of getting a used car for $35-40k on 2008/2009 with little warranty left. I also kind of wonder what insurance would be like as well.

I'll wait and see what happens this weekend. I need a nice day to go test drive cars and we'll go from there.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:39 PM
Mike-13GT

Hate to double post but I just want to mention, that I hate not being able to edit posts. I guess I'll get that at 50 posts or so?
Old 10-16-2012, 12:41 PM
Mike-13GT

Originally Posted by solaratomic
I know everyone will hate to hear this but with no kids I'd buy the vette. Espically as a Z06. The vette is a truer sports car than the mustang. The mustang has made great strides in handling during the S197 body run. But, I bought my 12-GT b/c I have a 2 y/o daughter and I have to have a back seat. The basic vette is much lighter w/ comparable power. A Z06 is much more powerful with the light weight and IRS. Just be aware that the C7 will probably be introduced in January or Febuary. So if you want a new one you would probably be best to wait til then.
I'm on the fence about he Z06. I have a feeling insurance will be very high for the car and quite frankly will I ever use that power on the street? That said I have an 08 accord fully paid off that i'm going to keep so I have options since this will be a second car.

I've always loved vettes but these new stangs are just plain nice. I'll drive both and see how I respond but the cost of maintence/insurance is a bit of a concern on a vette, well zo6 anyway. I could swing it but am I really going to get that much more car for the extra cost per month?
Old 10-16-2012, 12:42 PM
wingless
2nd Gear Member

The Corvette GS was my first choice.

The wife insisted I was /am too old, even though I insisted I was their target demographic.

The GT is fine, but I am now leaning towards the GT500...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Looking at purchasing a 13GT