Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Replacing whipple heat exchanger?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 01:24 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Default Replacing whipple heat exchanger?

Who has replaced the whipple with an AFCO heat exchanger for the gt500? I want to know what I need to do to make it work.

My whipple HE got in a fight with a tree stump years ago and looks twisted from above, but it never leaked. Today I found a nice spray pattern of coolant on my chin spoiler, but I couldn't get it to leak, nor could I see where it leaked from.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:36 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I found this post on another forum with pics. Seems it comes with everything you need.

http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/f256/t287252/
Old 10-24-2012, 10:50 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Good find. I've been considering an upgrade. Not right now though. I think I feel my second gear synchro going. I swore if this transmission ever needed repair I'd just replace it with somethings better, so I'm weighing my options.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:29 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Diabolical!
Good find. I've been considering an upgrade. Not right now though. I think I feel my second gear synchro going. I swore if this transmission ever needed repair I'd just replace it with somethings better, so I'm weighing my options.
How does a bad synchro feel? Grinding?

I ordered the AFCO. I'll take some pics of what my stock whipple one looks like. It's got a nice twist to it.
Old 10-25-2012, 02:06 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Just notice it's getting harder to get into second at 6500rpms. It's starting to cost me time, so I'm looking at the T56 Magnum from JPC. No more remote shifter if I go that route. Might go 4r70w, but I like rowing gears.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:15 PM
lazyboy31614@aol.com
2nd Gear Member

The wiring is very straight forward and explained in detail in the instructions nicely. The only problem you may run into is needing a longer hose. The passenger side will remain the same but if you have the pump in the location whipple has you put it the top port is moved across to the passengers side. I can get detailed pictures of my setup if you need. Though mine may be different as i'm using a different pump mounted on the passenger side and a battery reservoir.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:18 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by lazyboy31614@aol.com
The wiring is very straight forward and explained in detail in the instructions nicely. The only problem you may run into is needing a longer hose. The passenger side will remain the same but if you have the pump in the location whipple has you put it the top port is moved across to the passengers side. I can get detailed pictures of my setup if you need. Though mine may be different as i'm using a different pump mounted on the passenger side and a battery reservoir.
Thanks. I started to tackle it on Tuesday, but decided to wait till tomorrow and take the front fascia off. I plan to mount the pump on the heat exchanger like the kit is made for.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:25 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Post up some pics of the replacement of that badboy....does the heat exchanger perform better then the Whipple? greater surface area? you using the same pump?
Old 11-01-2012, 03:03 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mygt500
Post up some pics of the replacement of that badboy....does the heat exchanger perform better then the Whipple? greater surface area? you using the same pump?
What's it worth to you? The afco is a dual pass heat exchanger, so it's like having two. It's way thicker than the whipple, but it's slightly smaller in surface area, I think. Same pump, not sure I need a bigger pump, I'm using the same coolant tank. I have no idea if it performs better. I don't have a IAT sensor after the blower, so I have no data to compare.

Last edited by moosestang; 11-01-2012 at 04:41 PM.
Old 11-01-2012, 03:24 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

A few pics of the install. I wasn't able to mount the pump on the heat exchanger. I read online someone had done it, but I couldn't see how it was going to fit in there. Instead I removed the S hose from the whipple kit and used a 3 foot length of 19mm hose I had left over from another project to connect the pump outlet to the HE inlet. The blue hose is summit racings brand and says 300psi on it, so it's probably over kill.

whipple hose not being reused.

The afco kit came with a preformed hose with a 90 degree bend at one end, which you can see laying across the radiator support in this pic below. Now that I think about it, i could have used that coming off the pump outlet to connect to the blue hose.

inlet on the back of the afco.

here's my whipple heat exchanger. I ran it into a pine tree stump at about 1mph.

Last edited by moosestang; 11-01-2012 at 03:30 PM.

Quick Reply: Replacing whipple heat exchanger?