Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Ford warranty program-supposed to get money back from non-use of warranty and now I'm

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 11:14 PM
kjcba8101

Default Ford warranty program-supposed to get money back from non-use of warranty and now I'm

this is kind of my fault but here's how it goes....I bought the 5 yr warranty from Ford and it expired the first week of may 2012. The warranty stipulates that if the warranty went unused, I would get $1600 back from Ford-provided the claim was filed within 60 days of the warranty expiration. Due to some miscommunication between myself and the dealer (and probably a lack of diligence on my part), I didn't get the claim filed, lost out on the $1600 and my local dealer says they cannot get any help for me. The finance guy asked if I planned on buying a car soon, so I think there may have been some strings to pull. I told him I'm not buying a car, because I don't plan on it and I'm not going to misrepresent the truth. Anyone familiar with these kinds of warranty situations? I'd love some help. I'm getting married in October and could really use the money. I think the program was called ESP. Anyways, I feel like I'm out of luck.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Kyle
Old 08-22-2012, 01:31 PM
claudermilk
1st Gear Member

Interesting, I'll have to look at my paperwork (wife insisted we get it on both cars--dammit, gotta wait & be restrained with modding). I don't recall that being mentioned.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:52 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Kind of your fault, it is. Lack of dilligence sums it up. Not raggin' on you but I hate it when people try to side step or minimize their responsibility.

Anyways, I have owned several fords and a few of them with the ESP coverage. I have never heard (or read) that the warranty can be partially refunded if unused... I would think this would be a huge selling point for the dealerships to offer these to EVERYONE since most people would never recoup that refund either through forgetfulness or simply not sticking to the guidelines for reimbursement.

My last purchase (my current car) the dealership never even mentioned the ESP, they mentioned a third party company over Ford's offering.

Are you sure the dealership isn't pulling your leg to entince you into buying a new car and providing you with a 'good faith' refund? I can easily see a dealership doing that to look the hero. Plus, they even asked you about it...fishy at the very least.

Please scan a copy of the page on the ESP where it says you can get a refund or a portion back if unused.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:03 PM
2011scgt
1st Gear Member

i had that on my f-150 an on my nissan...the thing is you did what they were hoping, forget about it...it's the game they play. they didn't offer it on my new mustang and only offered a 75K warranty anywayz. they offered no 100k warranty of any kind. odd...
Old 08-22-2012, 07:09 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

I would bring the matter up to high level management at the dealership - vp/executive. let them know you understand the terms and that for whatever reasons, the deadline was missed, and you'd love it if they could help you out in some shape or form as it was a large reason as to why you purchased the warranty to begin with. hint that it would also help retain your position as a future customer.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:49 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I have never heard of that. Did you get it in writing? If not, then it sounds like something they told you to get you to buy the extended warranty.

9 times out of 10, extended warranties are a waste of money.
Old 08-23-2012, 11:27 PM
kjcba8101

Well, I didn't mention all the details. I knew the window would eventually close but it was made unclear to me exactly when it would close. The email from the dealership to myself was worded in a way that made me think I had more time than what I did. I even went in to talk to a finance guy about getting the $1600 back and he made no mention of the fact that the period to file my claim had expired. In fact, he told me I had until the end of July to get ot turned in. Then, when I showed up the following weekend to turn in the paperwork he even turned it in without saying the period had expired. I'm not saying it was their fault for wasting my time but their email led me to believe I had until the end of July to respond and in fact I did not. I've been driving a ford since I was 16 with my 07 GT being my first new car ever. Kind of makes me lose a bit of respect for Ford although it seems this is all done through a third party.
Old 08-23-2012, 11:46 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Well if you have that email show it to Ford or the warranty holder and see if they'll help you out.
Old 08-24-2012, 11:53 AM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

If it is truely legit, then I would contact the warranty holder directly, if that fails, then Ford, and if not, then this is probably going to be a legal issue.

Otherwise it was your due dilligence to get the refund. If you were going to get $1600 back and needed that money, why would you wait till the last moment? I've never heard of getting warranty refunded... so I would look over your paperwork just to make sure it's not the dealership's way of scamming you into buying the warranty. If something was due, most of these companies bank on you not collecting what is owed, kind of like mail in rebates. There are people that buy but forget to send it in.
Old 08-25-2012, 10:31 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by kjcba8101
The email from the dealership to myself was worded in a way that made me think I had more time than what I did. I even went in to talk to a finance guy about getting the $1600 back and he made no mention of the fact that the period to file my claim had expired. In fact, he told me I had until the end of July to get it turned in. Then, when I showed up the following weekend to turn in the paperwork he even turned it in without saying the period had expired.
They are just playing with you.
They get a portion of that $1600
if Ford does not pay it out to you.
Stealerships is what I like to call them.

I had to make a dozen of trips to get my
extended service contract $$ back after
cancelling it within the 30 day grace period.
I almost had to wrench a guys arm behind
his back to get printed conformation that
it in fact was cancelled within the 30 days.
Then actually getting the $ is another thing.
They really make you work for it.
I still ended up paying sales tax on the
service contract amount that I eventually
got back (180 days later).

Chalk it up to an expensive lesson well learned.
Service Contracts are worthless unless your
motor blows up unexpectedly.
Just say NO to service contracts.
If 'they' didnt build it well enough to keep
working properly to require a seperate
'service contract' then I dont want 'the vehicle'.
Thats the question I would be asking the one
selling you the extended service contract.
And how much is the monthly advertising allowance
for that dealership sticker and licence plate frame
proudly displayed on MY new vehicle worth per month?
Kinda defer the mothly payments a little bit for the advertising?

Quick Reply: Ford warranty program-supposed to get money back from non-use of warranty and now I'm