Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs > GT S197 General Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 11-02-2012, 08:59 PM   #1
slickman
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2008 Mustang GT
Default 15 inch drag slicks rim fitment

will a 15x8.5 with a 5.5 BS fit a s197? If so, is there anything that needs to be modified. It looks like it would be close but not sure.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
slickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:07 PM   #2
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2006 Mustang GT

Depending on the brand, that size will clear without having to relocate the rear sway. However, if you run a very wide and tall tire on that rim, it may rub the fender on hard launches. I have 2 sets of rear 15"s, one for street and one for strip. My street wheels are 15x10 with a 7.5" BS and required a rear sway bar relocation. My strip wheels are 15x8 with a 5.5" BS and did not require any modification. All of my wheels are racestars.

Whipple-12psi 10 Rib Pulley Kit-McLeod RXT & Steel Flywheel-UPR Rod End LCAs, UCA, Spherical Bearing, Panhard Bar, K-member + Front Swaybar Delete-Metco LCA Relo Brackets-BMR Xtreme Anti Roll-Spydershaft-Race Star Wheels-MGW-PMP Line Locks-Stanghi O/R X-Odyssey 10 lb Battery-Moroso Separator-Eibach Front/CJ Rear Drag Springs-Strange Adjustable Shocks and Struts-MSD 2 Step-etc. 11.29@123 1.59 60'
DRAG RACE? ASK ME ABOUT MY UPR SUSPENSION.
Diabolical! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:36 PM   #3
slickman
5th Gear Member

What size tire are you running on the strip rims?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diabolical! View Post
Depending on the brand, that size will clear without having to relocate the rear sway. However, if you run a very wide and tall tire on that rim, it may rub the fender on hard launches. I have 2 sets of rear 15"s, one for street and one for strip. My street wheels are 15x10 with a 7.5" BS and required a rear sway bar relocation. My strip wheels are 15x8 with a 5.5" BS and did not require any modification. All of my wheels are racestars.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:00 PM   #4
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Hoosier QTP 27x11.5x15. They lay down a nice contact path and hook excellent. My street tires are 28x12x15. They are strictly for looks and hook like crap, lol.

Whipple-12psi 10 Rib Pulley Kit-McLeod RXT & Steel Flywheel-UPR Rod End LCAs, UCA, Spherical Bearing, Panhard Bar, K-member + Front Swaybar Delete-Metco LCA Relo Brackets-BMR Xtreme Anti Roll-Spydershaft-Race Star Wheels-MGW-PMP Line Locks-Stanghi O/R X-Odyssey 10 lb Battery-Moroso Separator-Eibach Front/CJ Rear Drag Springs-Strange Adjustable Shocks and Struts-MSD 2 Step-etc. 11.29@123 1.59 60'
Old 11-02-2012, 11:57 PM   #5
slickman
5th Gear Member

Well, this is what I'm looking at used. From what your telling me, they should be fine? Mickey Thompson ET Drag Slicks 28x10.5x15 on Jegs Sportstar Wheels 5 lug 5.5 BS
Old 11-03-2012, 12:52 AM   #6
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

That combo should work, but the height and width of the tire will be cutting it close. Those rims would stick out 1/2" farther than mine, and mine are VERY close, but I also have a wider tire. I really think you'll be OK, but I'd test fit them to see if the tire clears and the rear brake caliper clears if possible. I'm not familiar with the jegs wheels, but some drag wheels need a small spacer on S197s to clear the caliper.

Old 11-03-2012, 12:58 AM   #7
slickman
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diabolical! View Post
That combo should work, but the height and width of the tire will be cutting it close. Those rims would stick out 1/2" farther than mine, and mine are VERY close, but I also have a wider tire. I really think you'll be OK, but I'd test fit them to see if the tire clears and the rear brake caliper clears if possible. I'm not familiar with the jegs wheels, but some drag wheels need a small spacer on S197s to clear the caliper.

So when guys are talking about wheels clearing the caliper, they are talking about the space between the inside face of the rim and the outside face of the caliper?
Old 11-03-2012, 01:08 AM   #8
slickman
5th Gear Member

Correction, the wheels are 15x8 with a 5.5 BS
Old 11-03-2012, 08:55 AM   #9
slickman
5th Gear Member

Well, I purchased them. Got the set (50% tread left) for $480 shipped. If they don't fit, I'll just resell them. Comes with Mickey Thompson ET Drag Slicks 28x10.5
Old 11-03-2012, 12:36 PM   #10
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickman View Post
Correction, the wheels are 15x8 with a 5.5 BS
That's the perfect size for these cars and should fit without any modification.

Last edited by Diabolical!; 11-03-2012 at 12:38 PM.
Old 11-03-2012, 12:36 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement