Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

I have a problem when filling the car with fuel

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 10:31 AM
Q8 GooGles
1st Gear Member

Default I have a problem when filling the car with fuel

Hi.

When I fill the car with fuel/petrol/gas (not sure of the correct term tbh), I have this problem where the fuel just stops pumping and I have to keep pulling the "trigger" and it goes on this endless cycle of stop-and-go where it keeps automatically stopping and I have to keep pumping gas again.

This is kind of hard to explain I hope someone who has had the same problem can understand and help me with what's wrong and how to fix it?

Some people say it's because there's air inside the gas tank? I can only slightly pull on the trigger and pump gas I can't go all out because it'll automatically cut off and I have to keep pulling it again and keep pumping small bursts of fuel until I get the desired amount I want.

It helps when I only slightly put the tip into the fuel opening and let some room for air to come out but even still I can only slightly pull on the trigger.

Mechanics where I live are sort-of inexperienced and I wanted to know exactly what's wrong and exactly what I need to fix so I don't get cheated out of spending more money than I have to.

I hope I have made it clear enough
Old 11-03-2012, 10:35 AM
Keep it real
2nd Gear Member

The same thing happened to me a few weeks ago but I dont know what causes it. it may be the gas splashing up on the nossle causing it to stop because it thinks its full but other than that I dont know
Old 11-03-2012, 10:58 AM
Q8 GooGles
1st Gear Member

Yeah seems like that's the problem. Something's flowing backwards the wrong way activating the nozzle's sensor and turning it off (probably air or fuel).

It's really annoying because sometimes it can take a lot longer than it should to fill your tank especially when you're in a hurry.
Old 11-03-2012, 12:06 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Well documented problem with the unusual "split" design of the S197 gas tanks I believe. Mine does it very rarely as well, Ford never really came out with a fix as it was an inherent design flaw with the gas tanks. A quick fix would be to simply tilt the nozzle when fueling, and that will fix it about 99% of the time (I've rarely had it prematurely cut off when I tilted it).

I believe there is a TSB on it, but quite vague on the fix other than to get the entire tank replaced (and unless you're under warranty, I would skip that since it might not completely fix the problem and you'll be out some major cash). LINK
Old 11-03-2012, 12:40 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Yes, there is a TSB on it and about 1/3 - 1/2 of theforum experiences it. It's related to Ford's wonderful saddle tank design. Even the fix in the TSB hardly resolves it.

Try slowing the flow rate, pulling the pump neck a little bit out of the filler tube (don't "bottom it out"), try different pumps (some are more sensitive than others)...
Old 11-03-2012, 12:50 PM
Q8 GooGles
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by aaquib1992
Well documented problem with the unusual "split" design of the S197 gas tanks I believe. Mine does it very rarely as well, Ford never really came out with a fix as it was an inherent design flaw with the gas tanks. A quick fix would be to simply tilt the nozzle when fueling, and that will fix it about 99% of the time (I've rarely had it prematurely cut off when I tilted it).

I believe there is a TSB on it, but quite vague on the fix other than to get the entire tank replaced (and unless you're under warranty, I would skip that since it might not completely fix the problem and you'll be out some major cash). LINK
Thanks. Read up on it a bit and it seems if you just tilt the nozzle 90 degrees (to make it horizontal) or even up to 180 to make it up-side down it solves the problem.

Gonna try that out and hope it works
Old 11-03-2012, 01:31 PM
Q8 GooGles
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Yes, there is a TSB on it and about 1/3 - 1/2 of theforum experiences it. It's related to Ford's wonderful saddle tank design. Even the fix in the TSB hardly resolves it.

Try slowing the flow rate, pulling the pump neck a little bit out of the filler tube (don't "bottom it out"), try different pumps (some are more sensitive than others)...
Thanks. It's a relief to know it's a common problem and I hope this easy fix will work.
Old 11-03-2012, 01:39 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I've had to resort to turning the pump handle 45-90 degrees to one side. Others claim 180 degrees works for them. I even considered standing on my head and spitting nickles...
Old 11-03-2012, 01:51 PM
Q8 GooGles
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
I've had to resort to turning the pump handle 45-90 degrees to one side. Others claim 180 degrees works for them. I even considered standing on my head and spitting nickles...
Haha. I definitely gotta try that last one out
Old 11-03-2012, 05:53 PM
Boss_Hotrod
5th Gear Member

Speaking from my Honda training, There are valves in the tank to help control evaporative emissions and the training said that if a customer complains of this the valves may be sticking or not working properly. Didnt go much into detail about it, but on the Honda's most require a new tank since the valves are not available separately.

My 5.0 has this problem but usually just pulling the nozzle out and slowly pumping works. Havent ran into this problem with the Boss yet.

Quick Reply: I have a problem when filling the car with fuel