Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Other drivers don't appreciate my 2013 GT HID's

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 10:05 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

They are not flashing you because they are bright
but the fact that you have the fogs on and that
looks like 4 headlights to oncoming traffic.

Consider this, as it happen to me all the time...

Idiots think that this is the OEM high beam
set-up for your mustang.
Older trucks and cars had 4 headlights.
The outer two were on for low beam.
The inner 2 turned on for high beam.
Older idiots that were alive then think that
you have your inner two bulbs on and that
this indicates that you have the high beams
on when they really are not.

Originally Posted by AzPete
The front view of my '11 California Special.....I added a 3.5" diameter, clear lens set of 55 watt driving lights behind the grill. They are on day and night. The factory fogs in the lower are not near blinding and still work with the high/low beam switch. Car has 6 white lights to the front on low beam, 4 on high. Two years and 16,000 miles in Florida and never bothered.....and never flashed from others.
Six lights to the front is illegal.
Just ask any Roush owner...
Its just time til some stickler rookie copper challenges your 6 lights...

Last edited by 157dB; 11-10-2012 at 10:07 AM.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:16 PM
bigmike06gt
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 157dB
They are not flashing you because they are bright
but the fact that you have the fogs on and that
looks like 4 headlights to oncoming traffic.

Consider this, as it happen to me all the time...

Idiots think that this is the OEM high beam
set-up for your mustang.
Older trucks and cars had 4 headlights.
The outer two were on for low beam.
The inner 2 turned on for high beam.
Older idiots that were alive then think that
you have your inner two bulbs on and that
this indicates that you have the high beams
on when they really are not.
The only problem with your theory about the "idiots" is that the older dual light were either top and bottom or side by side and were tight together where as the lights on the mustang are to far apart to be bright lights, unless the person is 12 and knows nothing about vehicles.
The factory fog lights are very bright and actually appear brighter than the headlights to other drivers. These are not "fog" lights as white light makes visibility worse in any kind of fog, you need yellow lights to cut the fog. I quit driving with my front driving lights, or auxilary lights as they are refered to in my owners manual, once I met a couple of Mustangs on the road and realized that the lights are very bright and annoying. Not saying it is a bad thing to drive with them on but if you need enough light to blind and or bother other drivers on the road, maybe should think otherwise about night time driving.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:25 PM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

I drive with mine on all the time. In the daytime I just drive with the driving lights on. For me, it's not about needing extra lighting to see...it's cause it looks freaking cool....lol
Old 11-11-2012, 09:05 AM
rebus
1st Gear Member

I got tired of the flashing so I installed a Steeda fascia with lower fog lights in the bumper. Fog lights don't have to be amber, but they do need to be mounted lower than 18" to be truly effective as fog lights. I replaced the factory "fog" lights in the grill with PIAA 540 driving lights wired to turn on with the brights. Now I can drive with the fog lights wide beam to better light the side of the road without annoying other drivers. Plus I have super brights with the 540's while staying legal because the factory wiring kills the fog lights when selecting brights you are never showing more than 4 lights at once. As far as I can tell here in Cali you can have more than 4 lights on the front of a vehicle, however you can only have 4 active at once.
Old 11-11-2012, 03:11 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Personally, I think anyone; Stang or not; that drive with their fog lights on in clear weather are douches. And then there are the phaggots that drive with them during the day. But to each their own.

But then there are the flaming azzholes that put 55 watt HID's in their fogs and then terrorize other drivers. My answer to that is the 18" breaker bar under the front seat.
Old 11-11-2012, 03:30 PM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Personally, I think anyone; Stang or not; that drive with their fog lights on in clear weather are douches. And then there are the phaggots that drive with them during the day. But to each their own.

But then there are the flaming azzholes that put 55 watt HID's in their fogs and then terrorize other drivers. My answer to that is the 18" breaker bar under the front seat.
Tell us how you really feel!

I use them for a little extra safety actually, because driving into work the sun is in my eyes, and often times the only way I can see people in the rearview is when they have their headlights on. I can't even see gray or black colored cars if their headlights are off. I noticed after lowering that I don't get flashed, and when I see the reflection off people's bumpers they're very dim, but just enough to be seen. The opposite of lifted trucks, where the headlights are right in my mirrors and are very blinding, even if they're not bright.
Old 11-11-2012, 03:56 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I'm all for driving safe. You can run fogs w/o the headlights if you intend to make them your DRL's. I don't appreciate people that think that the more you look like something out of "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" the better. That's simpleton douchery. Being an annoyance is in no way keeping the roads safe.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:04 PM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

Watch the name calling, Nuke. No need for it. Thank you and drive to the next window, please.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:20 AM
KARgt13

I use mine at night because I can see better. The headlights aren't aimed far enough down the road IMO. I'd rather be able to see a deer before I hit it than worry about pissing off other drivers. And when they beam me I beam them back. My girlfriend laughed at me the other day because I beamed someone back and said "how do you like it, *******?" to which she told me that this isn't a car to me, it's a toy
Old 11-12-2012, 02:07 PM
Slappy3243
1st Gear Member

So, according to the people who think they are silly and just blind people and they are not good for fog, what purpose do they serve? Should I never use them? Not many cars have HID fogs, so I think Ford put them there for a reason given the extra expense.

Quick Reply: Other drivers don't appreciate my 2013 GT HID's