Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Clutch help

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 08:54 PM
U R 11 5
2nd Gear Member

Default Clutch help

So my clutch has been feeling like crap for awhile now. It has had about an inch or so of play and is difficult to shift especially in reverse. Sometimes when i push the clutch in to shift it doesnt even come up all the way. So i looked at the slave cylinder and it was leaking. So i replaced that plus put a new clutch in. Still the same problem so I ungraded the hydraulic line. Still same problem so i finally took it to ford so they could bleed it because i dont have the tool and i already tried all the tricks everyone recommends on the forums. still felt like ****. So they recomend a new clutch master cylinder and $431 later it is the same. The Ford tech said he is stumped but my hydrolic system is 100% working. He thinks it the pressure plate not fulling disengaging. anyone here have any idea?
Old 11-12-2012, 09:31 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Jack up the left front of the car and pump the clutch and the brakes. Keep doing that for a few days. Pull the clutch up to make sure you are getting the full swing. If it has been bled properly ( which is what you are doing) and you cannot find a leak, then something is not working properly and there is a part that needs to be replaced.

I had my slave replaced in April and the pedal will go soft occasionally still.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:22 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Which clutch did you put in?
Old 11-13-2012, 03:47 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

It could be your transmission. You're making quite a bit more power than stock.

Do you have a v6?
Old 11-13-2012, 10:21 AM
U R 11 5
2nd Gear Member

I tried the jacking up the car trick a few times and it didn't help which is why I took to ford so they can bleed it with their vacuum pump thing. I replaced the slave and now the master so the tech said my hydraulic system is 100% working.

I have a superior clutch. A guy out of San Jose makes them. He sells them all over the country. My tuner sells them and so does the local speed shop. I ran his clutch when I had my V6 on nitrous no problems.

My car is a V8(4.6) with the V8 trans.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:31 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I've never heard of superior clutches. I've never had to do more than jack up the drivers side and slowly pump the pedal to get the air out of the system. I've changed the clutch twice and this has always worked for me.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:48 PM
U R 11 5
2nd Gear Member

I have changed three and it has always worked for me too which is making me think its not the hydraulic system. That and the tech and ford changed the master and flushed/bleed the system and he said its 100%

Originally Posted by moosestang
I've never heard of superior clutches. I've never had to do more than jack up the drivers side and slowly pump the pedal to get the air out of the system. I've changed the clutch twice and this has always worked for me.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:50 PM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

My slave cylinder/throw out bearing went bad at 65K. I had a (2"-3") dead spot at the top of the clutch pedal and I could barely get my shifter into any gear. I barely made it to the shop. I had them replace out everything, except for the master cylinder. The clutch pedal seems soft some days and stiff other days. Also, some times I can shift easily and other times it feels clunky. very inconsistent. Good luck with the fix!
Old 11-15-2012, 11:11 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

There is no 'tool' to bleed the clutch.
It is done with the front end pointing 45 degrees up
and by pushing and releasing the clutch pedal really slow.
Clutch bleeding tool, thats a new one for the books...
Old 11-15-2012, 11:23 AM
U R 11 5
2nd Gear Member

The ford techs use a vac pump that attaches to the master cylinder. So they pump the clutch while it sucks the air out.

Originally Posted by 157dB
There is no 'tool' to bleed the clutch.
It is done with the front end pointing 45 degrees up
and by pushing and releasing the clutch pedal really slow.
Clutch bleeding tool, thats a new one for the books...

Quick Reply: Clutch help