Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Should I expect frame damage from this accident?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 07:18 PM
Poppacapp
2nd Gear Member

I agree... I wouldn't deal with a shop that won't keep me in the loop and updated. That's just bad business.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:39 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by GearHead5Point0
All the parts did not arrive, so they parked my car outside to save space, allowing me to actually closely look at my car. I spent 1 hour looking at my car, then I noticed something that really got my very, and I mean very nervous.

I went to the drivers side of the car, and I ran my finger from the line on the door towards the front quarter panel. I noticed that the the front quarter panel was slightly raised, and not flush, with the door.

I went over to the passenger side, ran my finger from the line of the door to the quarter panel, and it was flush.

I then checked the spacing between the front quarter panel and the hood on the drivers side, stuck a key in between the space and I was able to fit the key in.

I of course went over to the passenger side, tried doing the same thing sticking in a key between the space of the quarter panel and hood, and I was not able to fit a key through the space.

So basically, in my opinion, the driver side quarter panel is not flush, with the door. It seems to be raised compared to the door. This is strange since the main impact of the accident was the passenger side.

Should this suggest that the body of the car, the unibody, has been misaligned and damaged?
HERE are the Ford body panel allowable gap specs.
Do they agree with what you are seeing?
0.157 to 0.196 is an acceptable door to fender gap.
And flushness can be as bad as 0.040 of an inch and still be within
the go range.
Sticking keys in door gaps is not the proper way to check gaps...
They do make tools for such a purpose...

Last edited by 157dB; 11-28-2012 at 10:42 AM.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:27 PM
GearHead5Point0
1st Gear Member

Update: All the parts came today, and they started working on the rear of the car. They put the axle's in, but discovered something else was bent. I kind of figured when I looked at the list and only saw that they thought the axle's, brakes, and wheels were broken.

Anyway, they said that they're figuring out what else is bent, but Rachel said something about either the axle housing or axle plates? I don't really remember since I got all worked up when she told me there was more damage.

What do you guys think?
Old 12-03-2012, 04:47 PM
Gary Ugarek
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by GearHead5Point0
Update: All the parts came today, and they started working on the rear of the car. They put the axle's in, but discovered something else was bent. I kind of figured when I looked at the list and only saw that they thought the axle's, brakes, and wheels were broken.

Anyway, they said that they're figuring out what else is bent, but Rachel said something about either the axle housing or axle plates? I don't really remember since I got all worked up when she told me there was more damage.

What do you guys think?
I think you need to mention the Door/Hood alignment. While they are working on it, if you do it now, less delays, if you wait, they will take a few days to fix it again.

So bring it up. Let them find broken stuff while they have it apart, but definitely bring up the fitament of doors and hood.

Also I suggest going to dealer and taking Hi-Res pictures of an undamaged unit and show them the alignment. Some body shops are very receptive to this and it helps make your car look perfect.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:33 PM
sbradle4
2nd Gear Member

Roush Stage one is essentially a GT with the track pack and roush decals, am I right?
Old 12-07-2012, 03:59 PM
GearHead5Point0
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by sbradle4
Roush Stage one is essentially a GT with the track pack and roush decals, am I right?
Speaking for the 2012 Roush's, the Stage 1 is their appearance package, along with decals, badges, serial number, etc. It's an official Roush, just doesn't have the Supercharger or Suspension update.

The Stage 2 will have the suspension upgrade, then Stage 3 will have the Supercharger.

Mine came equipped with the Brembo Brake Package, so I still have the GT500 rear control arms, 131lb front springs, 167lb rear springs, tuned struts and shocks for springs, Brembo Brakes obviously, etc. I also have the 3.73's so its not bad for a Stage 1!
Old 12-07-2012, 04:00 PM
GearHead5Point0
1st Gear Member

Update:

I went to Ford yesterday because I was tired of handling everything on the phone and the adjuster was coming yesterday(I missed him by the way). I first went to the lady whose been assigned to my claim. As you all might have expected, she gave me the same unhelpful response, "We cannot know the extent until things are teared down like I keep telling you folks. As for the parts, they're not here yet"

I got a little frustrated with the constant crap and circling around nothing, so I politely asked just to talk to the manager since we have already spoken about my case. WHAT A DIFFERENCE! This guy was so polite and helpful. He stated that the adjuster was actually here just moments before. He told me that this adjuster was much more accepting to what they had to say, and worked with them much better. They inspected the car, and this time, the manager and mechanic both assisted and checked the car out together to make sure everything was checked out well(it was about time to be honest).

They added another wheel on the left rear(the curb caught a bit of it when I went over the curb), axle shaft assembly left and right, valve stem for the tire, and brake bracket.

I told Nick to make sure that the thrust angle is checked out along with everything else since my car has a live rear axle. He said that it would be no problem at all. Then he said that when they were checking out the car again with the adjuster and mechanic working on my car, there was no apparent signs that would signal frame damage, so he assured me the alignment will probably come out fine. What a relief.

They also said not to worry about the car being different after they fix it up. I politely said that I kind of expect the car to be in per-accident state since it only had 4k miles on it and it was baby. They assured me that it would be no problem and they would return it back to factory specifications, and that they wouldn't give the car back to me if it wasn't perfect. Again, what a relief.

Then today, I actually saw some progress. I saw that they replaced the wheels that were damaged on the passenger side. They are factory reconditioned by Trans wheels, but they look great. I'm not sure if it was just me, but I don't know if I saw a bit of camber on the rear wheels. I couldn't really tell for certain, but I'm not certain if they put the new axle housing shafts yet so I'm not going to worry.

Nick called me up in class saying that he has expedited the delivery of the wheels for me when he talked to the parts guy, and should be here this afternoon, or tomorrow.

Overall, once I stopped getting updates from my original lady who was less than helpful, its not so bad. The service manager Nick is great. He actually calls me to update, that in itself is so relieving.

Oh, when they replaced the brakes in the back, they painted the calipers for me black to match the brembo calipers in the front. Just something nice they added.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:28 PM
GearHead5Point0
1st Gear Member

Here are some pictures of the new wheels; well, they're reconditioned but honestly, they look like new.

Old 12-08-2012, 01:47 AM
Justinsmt88
2nd Gear Member

Damn. I did the same thing but got a little luckier than you. My dammage was limited to the drivers rear but hit so hard that it snapped the axle flush at the housing. The impact shifted the rear end toward the right and broke the panhard bar, sway bar and bent the control arms. Surprisingly the rim wasn't bent but was scratched to hell, not sure how that was possible. Lesson learned, be very careful with 4.10 gears around corners.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:42 AM
GearHead5Point0
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Justinsmt88
Damn. I did the same thing but got a little luckier than you. My dammage was limited to the drivers rear but hit so hard that it snapped the axle flush at the housing. The impact shifted the rear end toward the right and broke the panhard bar, sway bar and bent the control arms. Surprisingly the rim wasn't bent but was scratched to hell, not sure how that was possible. Lesson learned, be very careful with 4.10 gears around corners.
How did they fix the rear end being shifted to the right? Mine was kind of opposite, demolished the rims but the rear had damage to the axle and axle housing. The control arms are supposedly fine in the back, but the front control arm and hub were replaced. The brunt of my accident was the rear too but the control arms were not damaged. I guess the wheel took the hit?

Quick Reply: Should I expect frame damage from this accident?