Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

MGW and Flossy heavy weight shift knob installed

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 04:10 AM
Surfergeek

Default MGW and Flossy heavy weight shift **** installed

I installed an MGW shifter and Flossy heavy weight shift **** in my 2013 GT and have been very pleased with the results.

MGW impressions:

Excellent instructions, videos, and supplements. Was able to accomplish the installation in my driveway with jack stands. The shifter construction and materials were all top notch.

After initial installation with the factory ****, because my flossy hadn't arrived yet, I didn't miss the 2-3 shift anymore and liked the very positive feel. It did require more effort due to it being sprung, but overall supremely happy. Very minimal additional NVH, I was certain to Dynamat as much as a I could.

A week later my Flossy **** arrived and in it went.

Flossy impressions:

I got the redhead heavy weight "grip tape" model with custom engraved shift pattern and 5.0 logo on the shift ball.

It is a high quality piece and threaded right on. Feels excellent in the hand and so far no problems with extreme temperature. It did sit in direct sunlight at 80+ degrees and was no hotter Thant factory **** would have been. Their coating material seems to work as advertised.

It made the MGW perfect. Shifting effort was reduced and now going between gears is buttery smooth. Love having a weighted **** again. Highly recommend this combo.

Plus with the custom engraving, so far unless any of you copy me, it's one of a kind.

Pics:

Untitled by surfergeek, on Flickr

The **** is available at http://www.shopflossy.com - they don't list Ford as an option on their site, but after emailing with the owner and confirming for myself, the Subaru and Toyota ***** are the same factory thread as Ford. So I specified one of those on my order and emailed confirmation with my custom artwork images.

Very happy with everything.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:58 PM
LossPrev

Very nice set-up. I've never had a weighted **** so not sure how they work but I'd give it a try when I can finally get another stang.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:25 AM
Surfergeek

Originally Posted by LossPrev
Very nice set-up. I've never had a weighted **** so not sure how they work but I'd give it a try when I can finally get another stang.
TWM has put up a short page going over why you would use a weighted shift ****: http://www.twmshiftknobs.com/shift-****.html

The bottom line is a heavier **** translates into more kinetic energy. So once a driver puts the **** in motion, it's harder to stop, giving it more momentum carrying it into the next gear. The end result is smoother, quicker, easier, shifts.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:04 PM
LossPrev

I'll definitely get one of these shifters because I like the coating whether its a weighted one or not. I had a solid aluminum shifter once and a couple months out of the year it was so cold I couldn't rest my hand on it.

Thanks for the link btw.
Old 11-25-2012, 03:51 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

You can't beat that MGW. Looks good man.
Old 12-02-2012, 02:23 PM
3vStang
2nd Gear Member

Nice man! Looks great I'll be swapping to an Mgw soon enough.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:36 PM
13pony
1st Gear Member

I've got the full MGW and their handle and ball (and heat shield),.....kinda tired of the plasticky feel and the hmmmm....what's my shift pattern again? on top.. Looks good and sounds like a great idea. How are your downshifts? I hate this China tranny, but have to live with it for now....also, I wear a ring sometimes....think the coating will hold up?
Old 12-03-2012, 05:00 AM
Surfergeek

upshifts and downshifts are all fantastic.

Huge improvements over the factory box and ****.

The heavyweight **** is what really put it over the top with reduced effort and shift smoothness.

The coating seems to be very durable so far, no problems with it and it's high quality to the touch.