Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Shifter Install help/question

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 09:42 PM
julezzTx

Default Shifter Install help/question

Just wonderin if the shifter install is as simple and straight forward as explaind in the instuction and vids. Ither the hurst or the MGW. Cant find a shop that will do it so Im thinking about planing to do it myself and was wanting to get feed back from people that have done it themselves
Old 11-27-2012, 11:51 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Piece of cake. Easiest method is to remove the driveshaft first, but you don't have to if you don't mind installing a couple of bolts by feel.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:58 PM
aquajr
2nd Gear Member

A buddy and I installed one in my car in a couple hours. We were scratching out heads for a bit while removing the center console. It just took a lot more muscle than I though but nothing was damaged.

Like Diabolical said if you don't remove the driveshaft you'll need to do some wrenching by feel. There was one bolt that was really hard to get aligned and threaded right.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:51 AM
HxCGuitars
3rd Gear Member

I pretty much followed the MGW videos, ran into nothing unexpected. Very, very easy.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:24 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Do yourself a BIG favor and go with the MGW.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:01 AM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

OP,

Whether you decide to go with an MGW, Barton, or Hurst shifter, I would definitely save yourself some money and do the installation at home! Check out our Barton shifter install video when you get a chance. It's a step by step video that shows you exactly how to install their shifter (which would work for MGW or Hurst as well), so you know what you're in for. I think you'll find that the installation is fairly simple, plus it's always cool when you've personally installed aftermarket parts on your Mustang!

Hope this helps you out, at least with the install video!

Shane
Old 11-29-2012, 12:59 PM
julezzTx

Originally Posted by AMShaneLesky
OP,

Whether you decide to go with an MGW, Barton, or Hurst shifter, I would definitely save yourself some money and do the installation at home! Check out our Barton shifter install video when you get a chance. It's a step by step video that shows you exactly how to install their shifter (which would work for MGW or Hurst as well), so you know what you're in for. I think you'll find that the installation is fairly simple, plus it's always cool when you've personally installed aftermarket parts on your Mustang!

Hope this helps you out, at least with the install video!

Shane
Thanks for the link Shane it really does seem farliy simple I will up date once instaled again thanks to every1 for all the help
Old 11-29-2012, 01:40 PM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

I installed my Hurst in my driveway with a set of ramps. The hardest part is getting the shifter arm through the hole from the top but it is possible, you just have to find the right angle. You shouldn't have to remove the center console or drive shaft.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:46 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

It's a fairly easy, straight forward install. I installed my MGW on a lift. I would imagine it's a LOT easier than doing it on jack stands. Just watch the videos several times . Take it slow and follow the instructions. When they tell you to tighten something with a torque wrench, DO IT!.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:31 PM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

it took me an hour tops to get my hurst shifter into the car. including jacking up the car and everything

you dont need to remove the console on the 05-09 models, tho I do recommend that you put some painters tape around the shift hole, so you dont scratch the plastic

Quick Reply: Shifter Install help/question