Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

How low have you taken your gas level?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 01:20 AM
Gary Ugarek
4th Gear Member

Default How low have you taken your gas level?

I ask this question based on another discussion about gas tanks.

Using the Miles To Empty display, what is the lowest you have taken, and at fill-up how many gallons did it take.

When I first had my Daily Driver 2012 V6 (before trading it for a GT) I took it down to 9 Miles to empty, but the 16 gallon tank only took 14.1 gallons of gas to fill up. (This was in the first month of ownership, so I knew there wouldn't be any, if only a little debris in the tank)

I don't do that normally but I was curious how low I could go, now I fill up at a 1/4 tank, but no lower than 1/8th.
Old 12-01-2012, 01:30 AM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

I've taken it to the point where the gas light came on (I think trip computer said like 10 miles to empty?) Mine filled up to around ~15 gallons if I remember correctly.

But I wouldn't do it ever again (it was a hectic week) because over time you WILL damage your fuel pump.
Old 12-01-2012, 01:37 AM
Gary Ugarek
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by aaquib1992
I've taken it to the point where the gas light came on (I think trip computer said like 10 miles to empty?) Mine filled up to around ~15 gallons if I remember correctly.

But I wouldn't do it ever again (it was a hectic week) because over time you WILL damage your fuel pump.
agreed on pump damage. Like I noted it was a one time thing and I was curious how low it could go. That particular moment where I took it down to 9 miles, was on a roadtrip to a film festival. I was freaking out the folks who came with me, but I was like screw it, if we run out FRSA will come to the rescue, but I pulled off, and filled up, only to find out I still had about 2 gallons to play around with yet.
Old 12-01-2012, 03:47 AM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Not sure about the newer models, but on the 05-09 the tech used to calculate/gauge MPG, and the overall fuel consumption/miles to empty have been a bit erroneous in my experience. Chances are you had a bit of reserve left that the computer is told to omit (maybe a safety net?)

Either way, a road trip to a film festival sounds like quite a bit of fun! One of those things I always tell myself I'll take time to do, but never get around to it...
Old 12-01-2012, 04:03 AM
Gary Ugarek
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by aaquib1992
Not sure about the newer models, but on the 05-09 the tech used to calculate/gauge MPG, and the overall fuel consumption/miles to empty have been a bit erroneous in my experience. Chances are you had a bit of reserve left that the computer is told to omit (maybe a safety net?)

Either way, a road trip to a film festival sounds like quite a bit of fun! One of those things I always tell myself I'll take time to do, but never get around to it...
the could be, but like I stated in the other thread about the gas range meter... I compare it to my ex-wife. A lying skank I can't trust.

Well I am also a filmmaker besides the director of QA for a pharmaceutical comapny. So I go on film fest tours across the US quite a bit.

My driving limit is Wisconsin/St. Louis (12 hours), anything over that I fly.

Most horror film festivals, usually double as horror conventions as well. So if you're geek about horror like I am (older horror, not the crap they pass off today as horror) they are a fun trip.

But I don't even need a film fest as en excuse to RT. I drove to Green Bay in 2011 just to ride a rollercoaster, then after 4 rides got back in the car and drove home.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:04 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

The tank holds 16 gallons.
The guage shows 1 to 16
gallons with E being 1 gallon
and F being 16 gallons.

My MSD DashHawk shows
0-100% fuel levels and by
taking the percentage of fuel
gone times .15 I can determine
exactly how much gas to pre-pay
for. Time and time again.
Pretty darn accurate.
Now the OEM gauge with its
4 modes of operation, thats
another story...

I keep her at least 1/2 full
to avoid fuel pump damage
from overheating.

Remember these S197s have
a saddle bag style fuel tank.
This makes it twice as bad for
non fuel pump immersion during
operation. The fuel actually cools
the fuel pump.

And you dont want to run her out
as this is not so good for the system.

Last edited by 157dB; 12-19-2012 at 04:09 PM.
Old 12-01-2012, 12:35 PM
wingless
2nd Gear Member

My 2011 has gone past 0 miles to empty several times.

The most gasoline I've been able to squeeze into my tank is 15.5 gallons.
Old 12-01-2012, 01:35 PM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

Got my '07 down to 5 miles according to the readout. I haven't let it go less than a quarter tank since though.
Old 12-01-2012, 07:21 PM
iamgone
1st Gear Member

I got down to 4 miles to empty once. Don't recall how many gallons it took to fill up.
Old 12-01-2012, 07:23 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Some folks think those are bragging rights. Maybe if you like to brag about being dumb. Especially if gas stations aren't on every other corner.

The onboard isn't accurate ans even if you reset it at each fill-up, it's basing it's calcs on your consumption data from that previous tank (which could be very different than the current tank).

Filling up 1/2 as much, twice as often doesn't cost you a dime more than filling up twice as much, 1/2 as often.

Quick Reply: How low have you taken your gas level?