Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Hurst shifter noise???

Old 12-05-2012, 11:43 PM
jasontrucks76

Default Hurst shifter noise???

Hey guys,

Pretty new around here as I just picked up my 09 GT a little over a week ago. I am the second owner on this car and the first guy installed a Hurst short throw shifter and it has some strange noise coming from it. The noise is like a bushing loose and rubbing kind of noise. It happens whenever the tranny is being put under load.
Ill try to be more clear.... When I am at a complete stop and I shift into first as I let out the clutch and start putting torque on the tranny the noise appears. Then after each gear shift as I get moving. Once I have my foot into her it stops until I let off and add a back pressure to the tranny as I slow down.... Boy I am bad at painting word pictures...

Anyway, I took a look at the parts breakdown on the hurst shifter on American Muscle and it looks like there are some neoprene bushings associated with this shifter and i am thinking that is where the noise may be coming from.
My question is it possible I am on the right track or could there be something else that may be causing the noise?

Any input would be appreciated. Especially if any of you guys have the same setup?

Thanks,

Jason.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:05 AM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by jasontrucks76
Hey guys,

Pretty new around here as I just picked up my 09 GT a little over a week ago. I am the second owner on this car and the first guy installed a Hurst short throw shifter and it has some strange noise coming from it. The noise is like a bushing loose and rubbing kind of noise. It happens whenever the tranny is being put under load.
Ill try to be more clear.... When I am at a complete stop and I shift into first as I let out the clutch and start putting torque on the tranny the noise appears. Then after each gear shift as I get moving. Once I have my foot into her it stops until I let off and add a back pressure to the tranny as I slow down.... Boy I am bad at painting word pictures...

Anyway, I took a look at the parts breakdown on the hurst shifter on American Muscle and it looks like there are some neoprene bushings associated with this shifter and i am thinking that is where the noise may be coming from.
My question is it possible I am on the right track or could there be something else that may be causing the noise?

Any input would be appreciated. Especially if any of you guys have the same setup?

Thanks,

Jason.
Welcome to the MF and Congratulations on your 09' 3V, they're awesome cars! It sounds like you're looking in the right place by the sound of the noise, it could be a bushing or something a long those lines.

My advice would be to give Hurst a call. They're great to work with, let them know of the situation and see what they can do for you!

I hope this helps. Let me know if you ever have any questions or need some assistance!

-Dan
Old 12-06-2012, 09:32 AM
Synar
1st Gear Member

Hi Jason,

Nothing is wrong with your shifter, those hurts they all do that. I even replace the red poly bushing that comes with the shifter by the original ones, it's less noisy, but still there. The hurts in my opinion is the nicest shifter to go in the mustang for the retro look, for the rest ................. there are better shifter on the market.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:57 AM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

Yeah that's the classic Hurst rattle. I solved mine for over a year just by putting some penetrating oil around the pivot ball, but it came back and now the penetrating oil doesn't seem to help. I'm gonna try taking the top cover off and putting some grease or something in there.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:40 AM
jasontrucks76

Thanks for the heads up guys!

I feel a little better about the situation now. I was hoping there was going to be someone with first hand knowledge here on these shifters.

I do like the short throw but not overly impressed with the looks. I get that it's a perfect retro look but it just seems to really stand out like a sore thumb in my car. I'm going to put a black **** on and see if that helps it blend in a little better with my black interior.

Thanks again!
Old 12-09-2012, 03:51 PM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

Well you'll probably have to replace the **** eventually anyway...the one Hurst gives you is a cheapo piece of crap. Mine got cracks all around the base, I replaced it with a nice black Lokar shifter ball.