Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Learning to drive manual on GT

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 11:30 PM
aquajr
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Diabolical!
Must have stalled 50 times in the 30 mile drive home. Best way to learn in my opinion, lol.
I concur. I stalled once on my way home, but it was right in front of my old high school during lunch. There were a lot of laughs. Plus my friends mom was right behind me so she told my friend who told everyone else.
Old 12-09-2012, 12:28 AM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

Learned two days before I bought the car on a buddy's Honda Prelude. I wanted a Mustang and it had to be manual, just seemed sacrilegious otherwise. Drove an hour and a half to LA to pick it up and took at least twice as long getting back in LA rush hour traffic. I learned quick.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:58 PM
Bob_Young

Once you get clutch engagement, timing, and gear selection down, remember this: GET YOUR FOOT OFF THE CLUTCH BETWEEN SHIFTS. Put your foot on the floor with your toe OFF the clutch until ready to shift again.

Saves the clutch, the throwout bearing and the pressure plate.

Also, when idling at a light, put the transmission in neutral and let the clutch out.

Do these things and (barring other abuse) your clutch and clutch parts should last the life of the car.

I know, Capt. Obvious; still some people need to be told.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:48 AM
Gary Ugarek
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bob_Young
Once you get clutch engagement, timing, and gear selection down, remember this: GET YOUR FOOT OFF THE CLUTCH BETWEEN SHIFTS. Put your foot on the floor with your toe OFF the clutch until ready to shift again.

Saves the clutch, the throwout bearing and the pressure plate.

Also, when idling at a light, put the transmission in neutral and let the clutch out.

Do these things and (barring other abuse) your clutch and clutch parts should last the life of the car.

I know, Capt. Obvious; still some people need to be told.
I hate when people leave their foot on the clutch pedal in between shifts... ahhh that annoys the **** out of me.

I am guilty however, of keeping it in gear with clutch engaged at stop lights. I catch myself every now and again, but it is mostly after leaving work when I have a lot of other stuff on my mind.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:04 AM
dcarlinf1
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bob_Young
There is no harm in having the car in gear with your foot on the clutch at a stop light. Just have the clutch pedal all the way to the floor.

I hate when people aren't ready to drive off when a light turns green because they aren't in gear yet. Yes, everything is a race to me.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:11 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Ever been in a car with a stick driver who obsessively checks to see if the car is in neutral at every stop? My little brother shakes that shifter like Michael J. Fox every time he stops his truck. Drives me insane.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:29 PM
cerealkller

I drove a stick a couple of times when I first learned how to drive then had an automatic in every car I owned for about 15 years. I got into a wreck and the insurance only covered a rental for a few days, accident was my fault. Only vehicle I could drive till my car was repaired, which took almost two months because of part shortages, was my dad's truck which was stick. Relearned how to drive a stick on a Sunday and traded my car in pretty much as soon as I got it back. Been driving a stick ever since.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:48 PM
Rocket254
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Diabolical!
My little brother shakes that shifter like Michael J. Fox every time he stops his truck.

That's so wrong.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:17 PM
markag

I learned on a 1972 MG midget with a worn out throw-out bushing (yes, bushing, not bearing) and a 4 speed gearbox that liked to lock you out of shifting into or out of gears when it got warm. The car had ~65 hp when new, and it was 30+ years old when I was learning on it.
After that, I occasionally drove my girlfriend's (now she's my wife) Geo Metro 5 speed and then her Hyundai Elantra 5 speed before getting my my 08 GT. When I first started driving 5 speeds, I would tend to go from 2nd to 5th because I was used to how the old 4 speed shifted. I got over that. Then the mustang came, and I was having really jerky shifts. I was not used to the heavy clutch and how much it grabs. By day 2 though, I was already driving it smoothly. And now, a year later, I'm don't have any issues.

When I go back and drive my wife's Elantra, I think something is broken though. Her clutch seems like it has no resistance to it, it doesn't grab, and her shifter feels like a spaghetti noodle. She has to remind me that there is no problem with it, I'm just not used to her car
Old 12-23-2012, 11:09 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by DFR30
Hi all, Im new here. today I Just bought my first mustang after wanting one for a long time. Its a 2006 mustang gt premium edition and im very happy about it. However i am a bit itimidated by the car because it is a manual and i have never driven one before and this car is very powerful.
Hopefully by now you've discovered that electronic fuel injection is pretty tolerant of slight instances of clumsiness with the clutch pedal (lots more so than with the carbureted cars of 40 - 50 years ago especially on a dead cold start). EFI has a sort of "stall-saver" built in to cover for other accessories kicking in that helps you here.

You can still feel a hydraulically operated clutch start to grab, more so if you wear thin-soled shoes. No boots, please.

Norm

Quick Reply: Learning to drive manual on GT