Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs > GT S197 General Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 12-26-2012, 09:42 PM   #1
techphets

Vehicle: 2006 Mustang GT
Default P061B & P0456 w/ failsafe mode in snow

Hello,

I found my 2006 Mustang GT switching into "limp home" failsafe mode with trouble codes P061B (Internal control module torque calculation performance error) and P0456 (large leak in EVAP system during test). The car has 40k mi.

I've read that many people saw P061B around the same mileage due to a faulty throttle positioning sensor. My concern is that I'm also seeing code P0456 and this started occurring in the snow.

I've read others who have seen P061B start in the snow or rain but typically the cause of the problem isn't listed in those posts.

Does anyone know if the snow/rain is a likely cause of TPS failure? I'll replace it if it is likely.

I've also read of problems with aftermarket air filters leading to leaks and/or moisture build up on the mass air flow sensor. I've looked in the air box and examined the filter itself and both appear to be dry. I'll buy a stock filter and/or look closer at the MAF sensor if the filter itself and air box would be dry with these problems.

Any other recommendations of things to look at? I may just bite the bullet and take the vehicle to the deal since I absolutely need to have it back on the road by 1/7.

Thanks for any help.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
techphets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:20 AM   #2
LossPrev

Vehicle: 2005 Mustang GT (sold), 2011 F150 5.0

When I had my gt it would trigger fail safe mode when it was snowing on my highway drive. I only had the car for a few months and it was the air filter leaking moisture past that would build up on the O2 sensor. Dealer made me pay for the O2 sensor getting pulled and cleaned and new air filter. (Sorry I'm still bitter even 4 years later)

I'm sure once you get a new filter with a tight seal you won't have the problem any more.
LossPrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:54 AM   #3
techphets

Thanks LossPrev, I'll give a factory air filter a try tomorrow.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:16 AM   #4
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2006 mustang gt

Moisture on the MAF sensor, really? I've driven through torrential down pours and never gotten that error code.

whipple HO SC,FRPP k springs, Pypes mid mufflers, hurst, frpp TB, 4.10's, spohn lca's, adj. UCA, relo brackets, 1 piece DS, spec stg 3+ clutch. 12.52@117.6mph so far with a 2.01 60 ft time

Pumpkin jacking addict
moosestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:52 AM   #5
Gary Ugarek
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2014 GHIG GT Premium/2014 Kia Sportage AWD
DjfunkmasterG @GaryUgarek

I drove my 11 around during Hurricane Sandy, and had no issues.
-4.10 Gears FRPP
-Roush Axle Backs
-BBK X-Pipe
-SCT Bama 91R Race tune
-20" Staggered Niche Apex with Initto INVO

other Vehicles:
2014 Kia Sportage AWD - Dory
1999 Pontiac Grand Am GT - Shadow

Quote:
Yippie Ki-Yay Mustang Lovers
Gary Ugarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:09 PM   #6
techphets

No snow today and the car drove fine. I inspected the filter last night and had to re-seat it in the air box so that may be why the problem went away.

Never once had an issue in the rain and I've driven through torrential downpours.

I picked up a new filter today and next time it snows I plant to swap the new filter in before driving. If the problem goes away I'll try swapping the old filter back in to check if it returns.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:09 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement