Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Switched from an Automatic to a Manual this time

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 02:30 PM
Tormentor
2nd Gear Member

Default Switched from an Automatic to a Manual this time

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well I finally took the plunge and got a manual trans in my 2013 GT/CS, all my other Mustangs have been automatics so my wife could drive them also even tho she only drove my 2012 twice.
Anyways, it has been a very long time since I drove a manual trans on a regular basis, manly when I was in the Marine Corps back in the early 80's if that gives you an idea. I am rusty.....
When I drove the car off the lot it was like I have always driven them but after having it for a few days things have changed. Last night when backing into the drive way i stalled the car, no big deal.. However when going from 1st to 2nd I don't like the feel of the engagement, feels notchy to me, all other gears seem fine.
On a side note I cant stand having to push the clutch pedal all the way to the floor to start the vehicle, seems excessive, what happened to just pushing the break to start the car?
I know this is all fairly new to me and it will soon be second nature but I just had to get it off my chest.
I love driving manual again just have to get more proficient I guess since its been a long time..
Old 12-29-2012, 07:43 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Damn straight, and here is your man card back!
LOL, J/K, automatics have proven time and time again to shift much faster and more consistently than the average drag strip weekend racer. Only professional racers and very experienced manual drivers can out-shift automatic transmissions with a good tune.

But yes, for me, learning manual all over again was definitely like taking first steps again, especially since I learned manual on 4-bangers. With a V8, I all to often made the mistake of giving way too much gas when shifting.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:09 AM
Slappy3243
1st Gear Member

I have complained about the shift from 1-2 as well. It is really notchy and audible from inside and outside the car. It did it since new and others on the forum experience it as well. They say to change the fluid and get an MGW shifter. I am not doing that since I like the factory warranty for now.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:08 AM
theczar
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Slappy3243
I have complained about the shift from 1-2 as well. It is really notchy and audible from inside and outside the car. It did it since new and others on the forum experience it as well. They say to change the fluid and get an MGW shifter. I am not doing that since I like the factory warranty for now.
i changed my shifter at roughly 1,500 miles and the guys at the dealership asked why i waited so long....but they do specialize in mustangs there. It won't void your warranty, unless ford can prove that your aftermarket shifter is what caused the issue.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:07 AM
Tormentor
2nd Gear Member

I intend install the MGW shifter also but it will have to wait until the spring for now. I will just drive it the way it is for now. Money is kind of tight since my accident and Ford stopped my pay due to being on disiblity leave for a week. No biggy, It will all get figured out in the end.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:28 PM
Slappy3243
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by theczar
i changed my shifter at roughly 1,500 miles and the guys at the dealership asked why i waited so long....but they do specialize in mustangs there. It won't void your warranty, unless ford can prove that your aftermarket shifter is what caused the issue.
I don't feel comfortable doing it I suppose. I am not too mechanically inclined. I guess I could take it to a local speed shop where I had my cat-back installed.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:12 PM
theczar
2nd Gear Member

I don't feel comfortable doing it I suppose. I am not too mechanically inclined. I guess I could take it to a local speed shop where I had my cat-back installed.
it wasn't all that hard to swap out...if you have the right tools. the first time i attempted to change it, i realized my 12" socket extension wasn't long enough because my x-pipe got in the way so i had to wait until the following day when i could borrow a different extension. the hardest part was putting that damn rubber boot back on.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:35 PM
shouldhavegottheGT
2nd Gear Member

Congrats on the new car. Manual is the only way to go. I could never drive an automatic car.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:18 PM
Slappy3243
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by theczar
it wasn't all that hard to swap out...if you have the right tools. the first time i attempted to change it, i realized my 12" socket extension wasn't long enough because my x-pipe got in the way so i had to wait until the following day when i could borrow a different extension. the hardest part was putting that damn rubber boot back on.
Did you have access to a lift? I would have to do it outside and it's colder than hell here right now. Doesn't look to be letting up either. Does it come with directions or is there a better write-up on the board? Thanks.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:22 AM
theczar
2nd Gear Member

Did you have access to a lift? I would have to do it outside and it's colder than hell here right now. Doesn't look to be letting up either. Does it come with directions or is there a better write-up on the board? Thanks.
i put it up on jack stands and got dirty crawling on the garage floor. i'm not sure what's all involved with the MGW since i put in a Barton, but i dont think it would be that much different different. there are some install vids on their site and on youtube. i watched a few for the barton and didnt even crack open the instructions they sent

Quick Reply: Switched from an Automatic to a Manual this time