Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Modification Plan good or bad?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 07:58 PM
Dawghouse
2nd Gear Member

What gears do you have currently? New gears and exhaust can liven up your ride and give you a good sound for a lot less and the money saved can be put towards yours FI.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:03 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Maine-iac
^ Yep!
I got a UPR Performance catch can - VERY nice billet unit - check 'em out.
Good choice. I run the Moroso personally, but I've had very good luck with the products I've purchased from UPR.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:13 PM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by dan2073
thanks for your suggestions I guess I should wait until the piggy bank gets a little fuller rather than jumpimg the gun

dan2073,

Everyone is pretty on target here for the most part. However, think about what you really want out of the car. If sound means a lot to you and you want some additional power/sound right now, then headers is a good option. Of course, you don't have to go with Kooks either, there's always other brands that will help you save a few more bucks. BBK makes a very nice Ceramic coated LT header too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcBotAZHmh4

Also, LT header won't necessarily kill your low end torque. This only happens when the wrong sized primary tube is used on the wrong engine. If the engine is setup properly with the correct sizing, you will increase the scavenging affect and actually pick up HP & TQ.

That being said, bolting on a supercharger will easily get you to your 450rwhp goal. I've just always been a fan of exhaust because like you said you get the benefit of sound and extra power. Plus, any supercharger will love that free flowing LT headers too!

Hope this helps!

Shane
Old 01-07-2013, 04:53 PM
dan2073

Thanks for the suggestion Shane I think I am pretty set on doing Headers as I have had them on past cars and really like the sound I have read some reviews and kooks seems to be one of the best brands . It sound like if you are going to go through the hassle of changing them you should put the best ones you can afford . Also if I do the cams as well I know they are not necessary but sound really good would they help or hinder once I was to get a s/c
Dan
Old 01-07-2013, 04:57 PM
dan2073

forgot to add this car is not a DD it is to have fun on weekends if that matters
Dan
Old 01-08-2013, 10:56 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

I have Detroit rocker non blower cams and they work fine with the blower. You can get blower specific cams so think about that if your sure your going FI.

Outcelj makes a good point as I have dealt with this too. LTs and cams make for a lot of drone and trumpeting. It's taken me several mufflers and resonators but I finally got my tone just right. You will need some resonators for sure.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:28 PM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by dan2073
Thanks for the suggestion Shane I think I am pretty set on doing Headers as I have had them on past cars and really like the sound I have read some reviews and kooks seems to be one of the best brands . It sound like if you are going to go through the hassle of changing them you should put the best ones you can afford . Also if I do the cams as well I know they are not necessary but sound really good would they help or hinder once I was to get a s/c
Dan

dan2073,

That's what my mind set always is, but I just wanted to give you another option for cheaper headers. Kooks' makes incredible headers, you'll be extremely happy with their product! Also, I love radical cams, so I say go for it. Down the road you may end up forging the block and really let those cams shine on high boost, too.

Good luck!

Shane