Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Wrecked Stang :(

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 06:13 PM
russell16
1st Gear Member

Unhappy Wrecked Stang :(

So about a week ago I got into an accident. The roads were a bit wet, i was cruising on the highway about 67-70. Speed limit was 60 and it is a pretty straight highway so i wasn't too woried about losing control on any curves. But then i got cut off and in trying to avoid the car i lost control. I first hit the concrete barrier dividing north and south bound lanes, that caused my car to actually spin, and i was facing traffic and went back across all three lanes of traffic. I hit a curb that was dividing the highway and the on-ramp that was about to merge. This is where the bulk of the damage happened. No other cars were hit, and everyone just kept on driving by since it was 6am.

Now time for my real question... what's gunna happen now? This is my first accident of any kind. Car has full coverage through allstate. This is the email i got from the estimator. "I forwarded the estimate to Allstate. They are sending a re-inspector to view the estimate I wrote. Both front rails are split and the estimate totals over $18,500. They will review and get back with you. The process should take a few days."

When talking with him before he used the words frame rails. I always thought if something happened to the frame the insurance company would total it. My car was a 2012 GT premium with the brembo brake package and 11,000 miles.

Since repairs are less than the value of the car, do you think they are just going to repair it? Or is the whole frame rail issue going to deem the car totaled?
Old 02-12-2013, 06:16 PM
carlspeed
1st Gear Member

Hopefully it gets totaled. Hate to say it, but once a car is wrecked or tweaked, it will never drive correctly again. I went through this with my first FBody, and it was a miserable experience. I loved the car, but I wish it would have been totaled.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:33 PM
Cobrakev
3rd Gear Member

There is no frame per say on the Mustang. It is a unibody car. In theory, every part can be replace or fixed. It will all come down to price.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:06 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Sorry, dude. Hope it works out. But I gotta say it; 70 MPH in the rain when the PSL calls for 60 MPH (posted for DRY conditions) and you had better hope that the responding officers didn't write it up that way.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:48 AM
Tom V
2nd Gear Member

Even in the rain. Try to do 50 in a 65 around here and you will get run into a ditch! Glad that you seem to be ok and hope it all works out for you. The car can be fixed or replaced.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:05 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What kind of tires come on the 2012 gt? A good tire should not lose grip that easily. I've had to make some quick direction changes in the rain and never lost control, but I have yokohama summer tires now. The stock pirellis sucked in the rain or dry.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:58 AM
a_lopez1975
4th Gear Member

Damn that sucks.. I hope all goes well with the insurance..
Old 02-13-2013, 09:40 AM
Dawghouse
2nd Gear Member

Keep us posted, at least you didn't get hurt hope everything works out for you.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:59 AM
russell16
1st Gear Member

Found out this morning, car is going to be totaled. And it was still on the stock pirelli tires. And i didn't tell the cops i was going that fast. lol I've got some pics on my phone but it might be a while tell i get them on my comp. The value of the car that allstate is giving me is $28,495. which i honestly think is more than the price when i bought the car. Got it used with 4K miles. Going to try and see if i can squeeze a bit more out of them and possibly get a '13.

Also, the only thing that happened to me in the crash was some scratches on my left arm i think from the side airbag deploying. Front airbag deployed but never hit me. I had some stiffness the next day on the right side of my neck but that was about it.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:14 AM
BTR-75
1st Gear Member

Good to hear you're ok & they are totaling it, car would never be the same if they tried to fix it.

Quick Reply: Wrecked Stang :(