Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Picking up 05 gt in the spring.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 08:24 PM
JMJ4492

Default Picking up 05 gt in the spring.

Ok guys like the title says I'm going to be picking up a05 gt. I will probably end up going with the auto, but the 5sp is not out of the question. I plan on doing 4.10 gears, CAI, SCT tuner w/ bama 93 octane tune and maybe an o/r x pipe. What times do you guys think a car with those mods will run in the 1/4 mile?(automatic) Also do you guys think the car will feel noticeably quicker than stock with those mods? Thanks in advance!!
Old 02-18-2013, 11:32 PM
steel pony
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JMJ4492
Ok guys like the title says I'm going to be picking up a05 gt. I will probably end up going with the auto, but the 5sp is not out of the question. I plan on doing 4.10 gears, CAI, SCT tuner w/ bama 93 octane tune and maybe an o/r x pipe. What times do you guys think a car with those mods will run in the 1/4 mile?(automatic) Also do you guys think the car will feel noticeably quicker than stock with those mods? Thanks in advance!!
Friends 05, same mods listed but with 1 piece drive shaft.
He runs solid 13.3's all day long...weather, elevation and temps may affect that either way though.
No doubt you will see close to the same...and yes, the car will feel noticably quicker...an auto with 4.10's is a wonderful kick in the pants!

Good luck with the purchase and have fun!
Old 02-19-2013, 12:15 AM
07BLACKGT
5th Gear Member

^That sounds about right. I have the car you're describing. Automatic, 4.10, CAI, Bama 93 tune.

It's not even comparable to a stock car. Those are by far the best and safest "bang for the buck" mods on a 4.6L.

I don't have a 1/4 mile around me, but it beats cars that it should not beat in the 1/8th mile. I ran an 8.55 spinning through 2nd gear a few weeks ago. The car chirps 4th gear easily. I can tell it frustrates the **** out of my friend with a modded LS3 camaro who can not beat me from a dig. It's not even close.

I've had the hard-shifting tune since 15-20k miles. I'm at 72k now and I have beat the absolute **** out of it. Well over 100 passes on the drag strip and an auto cross season. Still running strong. *knocks on wood*

A few things to note:
  • It's fast from a dig, but it's not very fast from a roll. Don't roll race people and expect to win. You will be surprised at what you can beat from a stop light though.
  • I wish I would have purchased a manual.
  • 4.10's are horrible if you like to speed on the interstate, but very fun around town.
  • I don't like o/r pipes. They make the car too loud inside the cabin when the windows are up. Makes the engine sound old and crappy. Things in the car rattle, vibrate, etc. I just don't like it for a daily driver.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:31 AM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

I just happened to find one of my time slips with 410's and CAI. My sixty foot time was with street tires at 2.18 and my time was 13.6 at 101.87mph. I could only find the one timeslip. These were my very first runs as well. My wife and i went to myrtle beach for mustang week. One day during the week everyone goes to darlington and races. I was happy with my times and had a blast. Lucky for me I had a guy that races professionally sitting next to me giving some great advice.

That trip was a 12 hour trip from indiana and i managed to get 22mpg and that was 75 most of the way so I dont think its as bad as some people like to say. You just have to becareful when picking out exhaust as you will be effected by drone.

Another mod that people dont mention that i think is great for automatics is a stall. I have a 3000 and its second best mod next to the supercharger IMO.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:27 AM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

JMJ,

Welcome aboard, I'm sure you're super excited to get a 3V GT! I see you've already been given some great information. A 3V GT with those mods will definitely be in the low - Mid 13 sec range, all day! Those are the top 4 most beneficial mods for any 05+ Mustang. You'll notice a huge increase in Power, Torque, Acceleration, Drive Ability, Gas Mileage, Throttle Response, Shift points (If you go Auto) and so much more!

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions or need some assistance. Our Mustang Experts are here Monday-Friday from 9AM-9PM EST and Saturdays from 9AM-5:30PM EST. If you want to hit them up, their number is 866.727.1266.

-Dan
Old 02-19-2013, 07:08 PM
JMJ4492

Thanks for all the info guys. I am extremely excited to get a gt. I have 2 more questions could someone recommend some good tires, I have heard they improve you 1/4 miles time alot. Also how much would a stall be to install? I was also looking at ls1 gtos, but stock for stock it's a drivers race vs the 3v and the mods are much cheaper for the 3v. With those mods I should be able to easily beast stock ls1 cars.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:02 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Thanks for all the info guys. I am extremely excited to get a gt. I have 2 more questions could someone recommend some good tires, I have heard they improve you 1/4 miles time alot. Also how much would a stall be to install? I was also looking at ls1 gtos, but stock for stock it's a drivers race vs the 3v and the mods are much cheaper for the 3v. With those mods I should be able to easily beast stock ls1 cars.
I don't know what a stall would cost to install, probably in the $400 range. A stall and some drag radials, plus the other things, should put you in the 12's. Any summer tire will give better traction than stock, but a drag radial is a must with 4.10's, if you are serious about getting the best times.

I'm sure Dan can recommend a drag radial in 17 or 18 inch. I'm not sure how tall of a tire you'd want with an auto and 4.10's.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:16 AM
07BLACKGT
5th Gear Member

I run Continental extremecontact DW on mine. 285/40 18.

The only time they haven't hooked up was on a very poorly maintained drag strip in 30* weather. They hook right up on the street no matter how cold it is. It's mind blowing how well they stick. Even in the rain I can rip on it. They have very low road noise as well. Ran BFGoodrich KDW before these (the crazy tread pattern one) and they offered similar amazing grip, but were the loudest and most uncomfortable tires in the world.

And yes you will beat stock LS1's all day long from a stop.

Last edited by 07BLACKGT; 02-20-2013 at 03:18 AM.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:52 PM
CPTCO
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 07BLACKGT
I run Continental extremecontact DW on mine. 285/40 18.

The only time they haven't hooked up was on a very poorly maintained drag strip in 30* weather. They hook right up on the street no matter how cold it is. It's mind blowing how well they stick. Even in the rain I can rip on it. They have very low road noise as well. Ran BFGoodrich KDW before these (the crazy tread pattern one) and they offered similar amazing grip, but were the loudest and most uncomfortable tires in the world.

And yes you will beat stock LS1's all day long from a stop.
I'll have to second that one. The BFGs hook up great, but man are they loud. I'm planning on replacing mine soon.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:55 PM
JMJ4492

Hey guys would long tubes be worth it over the x-pipe. I would be very happy if I could get it to run a best of 13.1. Do you guys think with those 4 mods and good tires that time is possible or would long tubes be necessary?

Quick Reply: Picking up 05 gt in the spring.