Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

2007 transmission replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 09:13 AM
wildazme
3rd Gear Member

Default 2007 transmission replacement?

Hey all, i recently blew the transmission on my 2007 mustang gt auto. I have a vortech supercharger and aluminum driveshaft on the car. im putting down about 450 hp to the wheels. what would be a good replacement? Im so far looking at the tci super street fighter transmission, the performance automatic transmission, seems to be cheapest but , or perhaps having level 10 build one for me. any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Oh also what stall converter would you guys recommend, its my daily driver.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:23 AM
ziperhead
2nd Gear Member

https://www.levelten.com/v/vspfiles/...RD%205R55S.pdf

I went with a Level 10 transmission rebuild. My car develops around 550ft/lbs of torgue. Be aware that that Level 10 warranty specifies you must run there calibration.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:01 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

how did u manage to ruin your transmission. these transmissions are good for 550.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:47 PM
wildazme
3rd Gear Member

these trannies are not gauranteed to handle that much power, its touch and go with them.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:31 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

4r70w. Lentech.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:23 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

Not sure I agree. B/c any beefed up tranny that is beat on is going to break. Do know that the stock tranny heats the oil and then it goes underneath your car without you ever knowing. before you know it your low on tranny oil and then u ruined it. Not to mention auto's are not meant to be going 40 then hammer the throttle. They will all break under those circumstances
Old 03-06-2013, 12:15 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by outceltj
Not sure I agree. B/c any beefed up tranny that is beat on is going to break. Do know that the stock tranny heats the oil and then it goes underneath your car without you ever knowing. before you know it your low on tranny oil and then u ruined it. Not to mention auto's are not meant to be going 40 then hammer the throttle. They will all break under those circumstances

^This.........Were you running a catch can for your trans? If not you have been losing fluid since you added that supercharger. Were you running a deep pan and checking your fluid often?

Flooring the go pedal and having the trans downshift more than one gear is no no..........doing that will fubar your trans quickly.

As far as converters, look into Circle D. Thats the one I will get when I finally need one.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:35 PM
retfr8flyr
3rd Gear Member

I would highly recommend not spending more money on a 5R55S trans. They will not hold up to high torque numbers no matter what the companies claim. The 5R internal parts just don't have the physical size to be able to handle much power no matter what you do to them. Just go with a 4R70W conversion and save yourself lots of grief in the future.

You can get a setup with a full manual valve body and shift it yourself or you can get a setup with full automatic shifting. Here's a great automatic package from PA http://www.performanceautomatic.com/...-packages.html If you want full manual I would recommend FB Performance. Freddy is a wizard with the 4R70W.

Earl
Old 03-07-2013, 01:04 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by retfr8flyr
I would highly recommend not spending more money on a 5R55S trans. They will not hold up to high torque numbers no matter what the companies claim. The 5R internal parts just don't have the physical size to be able to handle much power no matter what you do to them. Just go with a 4R70W conversion and save yourself lots of grief in the future.

You can get a setup with a full manual valve body and shift it yourself or you can get a setup with full automatic shifting. Here's a great automatic package from PA http://www.performanceautomatic.com/...-packages.html If you want full manual I would recommend FB Performance. Freddy is a wizard with the 4R70W.

Earl
So I imagine you would need a new DS and shifter when swapping for a 4r70w. What about the interior? How well does it all line up.......ie clean install or race car type install.......ie kinda sloppy looking?

I need to learn more about this as I may eventually have a trans issue with all the racing I do.....or maybe I wont.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:02 AM
retfr8flyr
3rd Gear Member

Yes you need a new DS, shifter and trans mount along with a few other things like a little extra clearance in the tunnel area. It will cost you a little more then a built 5R55 but it will hold up much better. I have seen installs that look factory and others that are more race car, it all depends on what you want. Give Fredd, at FB performance, a call he has a complete swap package and knows exactly what you need.

I wish I had done this with mine instead of spending money that I have on 5R55S transmissions. At 600 rwhp I know mine is on borrowed time and when it goes I will be doing this swap, as I will not spend any more on the 5R setups.

Earl

Quick Reply: 2007 transmission replacement?