Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Before Forced Induction...

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 02:37 PM
dlazrael
5th Gear Member

Welcome. Where abouts in MD? (I live in Calvert, work in Bethesda, Volunteer in PG Near Andrews)

I am working on the same project myself, getting ready to FI sometime this summer (Depends on sequestration and how much $ I lose): So far I've got the following done and the list after my planned ideas:

Steeda CAI (Will be gone with FI)
SCT3 w/ BAMA tune (prolly unlock and sell with FI since I am leaning towards KB; or a roush kit from brenspeed)
MAC Cut-n-clamp prochamber (purely for sound.... I love it)
Pypes Violator Catback (Again, sound)
Steeda Tri-Ax. - There's several solid shifters out there, I love my tri-ax and stick to it awesome adjustment to shifts and feel
JLT Oil Catch Can
Cosmetic - GTSIV Ram Air Hood, Hood Pins (a must for a/m hoods, mine was lifting up at 70mph+ easy to hit on the beltway), steeda street wing

Planned:
Suspension: Steeda G-Trac setup (in increments), but first, shocks/struts & Springs with GT500 Front Strut mount (my stockers are shot)
Trans
Clutch: Leaning towards the RAM twin disc complete clutch set, not 100% set yet, but it's next after my shocks/struts/springs
JLT Trans Oil Catch Can
Rear:
Either Auburn LSD or a FRPP Rebuilt Trak-loc with 3.73 FRPP gears
Moser 31spine axles (or strange)
Some new rubber, and fiances permitting some decent wheels (maybe weld, or 18" bullitts)
FI: Either Kenne Bell 2.6L Stage 2 or the Roush Enhanced package from Brenspeed - still undecided here
Other cosmetic things: Steeda Front Fascia, GT500 Steering wheel (or FRPP), White faced gauges, SoS Gauge Pod with Aeroforce Interceptor Gen II gauges, perhaps some underhood/interior dressup, would like to get leather seats but hard to find some good ones used

Hope it helps a little, and not to hijack but I am open to suggestions as well.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:44 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jacksoncove
I don't mean to hijack the thread but what is roughly the longjevity of the stock clutch when going fi?
Depends on how you drive it. If you're a fairly conservative driver who rarely gets on the throttle, it could go a hundred thousand miles or more. If you clutch dump on slicks and a well prepped track at high RPMs, you can cook a SPEC II in less than 4k miles... like I did.

I'll amend my earlier response to echo a couple others. EVERY S197 owner should have a good catch can, not just the F/I guys. I'm beginning to have my doubts about JLT based on some reviews here, but there are plenty of other brands to choose from. RESEARCH the hell out of every part you buy.

Last edited by Diabolical!; 03-10-2013 at 11:48 PM.
Old 03-11-2013, 02:46 PM
Jacksoncove

Originally Posted by Diabolical!
Depends on how you drive it. If you're a fairly conservative driver who rarely gets on the throttle, it could go a hundred thousand miles or more. If you clutch dump on slicks and a well prepped track at high RPMs, you can cook a SPEC II in less than 4k miles... like I did.

I'll amend my earlier response to echo a couple others. EVERY S197 owner should have a good catch can, not just the F/I guys. I'm beginning to have my doubts about JLT based on some reviews here, but there are plenty of other brands to choose from. RESEARCH the hell out of every part you buy.
Thanks I have been contemplating going with the m90 to keep it conservative and I just was wondering about the clutch. I am the type of driver that just likes to get on it once awhile and since I dont go to the track I think I should be ok
Old 03-11-2013, 06:47 PM
Acre2580

Originally Posted by dlazrael
Welcome. Where abouts in MD? (I live in Calvert, work in Bethesda, Volunteer in PG Near Andrews)

I am working on the same project myself, getting ready to FI sometime this summer...
I'm in Frederick,
This is more of a next summer-ish completion goal for me, it all depends on the finances lol I'm going to get the catch cans first since they're pretty inexpensive, and window tint because my friend can get me a discount, but after that it's more of a waiting game for me...

Tires: The person I bought the car from put brand new tires on it
Tranny: Might as well get the life out of the clutch
Muffler: The Flowmasters that the old owner had installed are already rusting from the inside out
SF3 Tuner: Ehh, we'll see what the money says...

I definitely wont move on to F/I without catch cans and clutch, that's my bare minimum, but my tires will probably be history by then anyways...

If anyone has any more recommendations, throw them out there.

Thanks!