Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

How would you go about building a N/A beast?

Old 03-11-2013, 04:29 AM
Suicide Bobb
1st Gear Member

Default How would you go about building a N/A beast?

I'm planning on keeping my car N/A (don't bother trying to convince me otherwise). So far, I've thrown in a CAI, Bama tune, MAC Ceramic LTH's, MAC O/R Prochamber, and Bassani race mid-mufflers (rear deletes). I like to plan things out as it encourages me to save up the money, so I'm hoping someone can help me make a list of what I should do to the engine (ignore suspension for now), and in what order I should do it in. So far, this is what I've got:

1. Cams
2. Delete Plates
3. Underdrive Pulleys
4. Electric Water Pump

I don't really have any preference for what order #2,3,4 are in, but I definitely want cams first (for the sound, mostly). Please comment below what you would install and in what order, considering what I currently have in the engine. I have no end goal, the plan is just to keep on building her. 500hp would be a nice number though, although obviously that's quite a ways away
Old 03-11-2013, 04:31 AM
Suicide Bobb
1st Gear Member

Also, keep in mind that reliability is a concern for me, and I'm not opposed to eventually doing internal mods such as increasing displacement! This is my daily driver.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:19 AM
revoultion9

I would go:

1) 4.10's
2) Cams
3) Underdrive Pully's
4) Delete plates/Intake
5) Throttle body (optional)
6) High flow CNC'd Heads if your feeling rich

I know the 4.10's aren't a motor mod, but Ive read that its one of the best bang for the buck mods you can do for 1/4 mile times and performance "feel".
After the cams are done Your going to want to get rid of the plates. This can be done with the delete's for just shy of 300. Or for just over 600 you can do the whole intake. When I get to this point in my mods, im swapping the intake for the FRPP one. The old one gets pulled out regardless so why not upgrade the airflow.
From what ive read the TB we have is good for any NA application. With that being said people have seen increases in HP and TQ by swapping, more specifically after the new intake install.
Im no expert, in fact I havent gotten as far as you yet (hopefully Ill get my longtubes/midpipe and cams this summer). This is the route I would go if the intent was to stay NA.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:27 AM
Suicide Bobb
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by revoultion9
I would go:

1) 4.10's
2) Cams
3) Underdrive Pully's
4) Delete plates/Intake
5) Throttle body (optional)
6) High flow CNC'd Heads if your feeling rich

I know the 4.10's aren't a motor mod, but Ive read that its one of the best bang for the buck mods you can do for 1/4 mile times and performance "feel".
After the cams are done Your going to want to get rid of the plates. This can be done with the delete's for just shy of 300. Or for just over 600 you can do the whole intake. When I get to this point in my mods, im swapping the intake for the FRPP one. The old one gets pulled out regardless so why not upgrade the airflow.
From what ive read the TB we have is good for any NA application. With that being said people have seen increases in HP and TQ by swapping, more specifically after the new intake install.
Im no expert, in fact I havent gotten as far as you yet (hopefully Ill get my longtubes/midpipe and cams this summer). This is the route I would go if the intent was to stay NA.
Thanks for the input!

Now I don't actually KNOW anything about 4.10 gears, but what I ASSUME is that they shorten the gears which increases acceleration at the expense of top speed and gas mileage? I mean, if it means that I'm at 2k rpm's at 60mph instead of 1750, then I'll be getting worse gas mileage.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:46 AM
revoultion9

Originally Posted by Suicide Bobb
Thanks for the input!

Now I don't actually KNOW anything about 4.10 gears, but what I ASSUME is that they shorten the gears which increases acceleration at the expense of top speed and gas mileage? I mean, if it means that I'm at 2k rpm's at 60mph instead of 1750, then I'll be getting worse gas mileage.
You are spot on with your description. Alot of people do the gears with the cam swap as you tend to loose some low end torque. Your gas mileage will go down but not dramatically. If your going to build to 500 hp your mileage is going to be a non issue anyways.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:17 AM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

Also, keep in mind that reliability is a concern for me, and I'm not opposed to eventually doing internal mods such as increasing displacement! This is my daily driver.
Thanks for the input!

If you're concerned about reliability and mileage, an all-motor build is likely not the route you want to take. Your gas mileage WILL suffer and as you will be having to run the motor at higher RPMs to make the same power as FI, your reliability will suffer as well.

There are a number of threads on this exact same topic.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:32 AM
ski
4th Gear Member

An aftermarket intake manifold is another option.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:47 AM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

OP,

If N/A is what you have your heart set on, definitely look towards a Ford Racing Intake manifold, TB, and Cams. You'll see a solid gain with these mods together, since you already have LT headers.

From there, you'll be very stout for an N/A 3v. The next set would be forged internals and CNC heads. Of course, that depends on your budget and timing.

Hope this helps!

Shane
Old 03-11-2013, 12:08 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

I like to plan things out as it encourages me to save up the money
Alright, unfortunately I think the 3V will disappoint you. Whether it's a lack of aftermarket support, or just incapability but this 4.6 cannot make any power N/A seemingly. Even with heads, cams, new intake manifold, LT headers, and every other N/A power booster you won't be making anything "beast" worthy. You'd do all that work and spend thousands of dollars just to catch up with what the new 5.0 is putting out, with maybe a couple dozen more ponies.

I love N/A as well, and I cannot understand how some 4 cylinders, 6 cylinders, etc from foreign brands are pulling out great N/A numbers but yet we struggle with this 4.6 V8. There's a reason why not many go the N/A route.

You could do a stroker kit, heads, cams, new bottom end, intake manifolds, headers, no cats, underdrive pulleys, electric power steering/water pump, etc... I think the most you'll get out of it is probably 400ish RWHP.

Eventually, a few things need to come together first, plan on making a project Coyote engine. Maybe start with a bare block and build it from there, or buy the crate engine and break it down and add in what I want... Haven't quite figured out which would be more cost effective.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:23 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

I'm planning on keeping my car N/A (don't bother trying to convince me otherwise).
Deal.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How would you go about building a N/A beast?