Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

My new (probably) 06 Mustang GT

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 06:00 PM
mustangspotential
2nd Gear Member

Default My new (probably) 06 Mustang GT

Hey guys. I just left a deposit on a 2006 GT at a Ford Dealership here. Just wanted some advice/questions. I'm probably going to buy the car this weekend.

It's silver, with the shaker 500 system, red leather seats, 5 speed, 74,000 miles. Only seemingly cosmetic flaw is a paint chip above front license plate and some front bumper scratches. It has a "JBA" exhaust tips out the back. I don't know if it's a full system or catback, or what not. Maybe someone can help me tell once I get pictures up/buy the car.

Anyway, I couldn't find any of these throwback models in a GT, with relatively low mileage and stick, for under $15,000 around here on Long Island, NY. Even most automatics and stuff seem to be more than the price I'm paying.

The deal is $12,900. Excluding taxes, title, reg, inspection. It looks like I'm getting a good deal. Clean 2 owner carfax. Anybody else think so as well?

Also, how come there's an aux button on the shaker system but no aux input anywhere in the car?

Thanks in advance guys.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:03 PM
mustangspotential
2nd Gear Member

Also, it's got the 18" 5 spoke alloy rims.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:06 PM
ncbound123

AUX plug should be in the center console.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:45 PM
JimC

Originally Posted by mustangspotential
Also, how come there's an aux button on the shaker system but no aux input anywhere in the car?

Thanks in advance guys.
Cost savings. Ford uses parts across multiple platforms - some of the others have an auxiliary input, but for 2005 and 2006 the Mustang didn't have it so the button does nothing.

Originally Posted by ncbound123
Not in the 2006 - that started in 2007
Old 03-19-2013, 07:42 PM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

well you pay more for auto's actually. but yeah keep us posted and hopefully you get it.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:06 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ncbound123
No Aux plug until '07...

$12.9k is a decent price providing the car doesn't have the chronic water leak. There's a TSB on it and it was pretty prevelant on the 05's and '06's. Water leaks in from above the passenger kick panel where the Smart Junction Box (SJB) is located and it eventually corrodes connections causing all sorts of wierd electrical gremlins. Since the car is out of warranty, none of the TSB's (there are dozens but the water leak is the main one to be aware of when purchasing) will be covered by the dealer.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:38 PM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

hopefully that TSB got fixed or the car wasnt affected.

I never had any issue that I noticed with leaks on my 2005, but I still bought a tube of seam sealer and followed the TSB guidelines...

didnt paint over the sealer but idk if thats an issue or not?
Old 03-20-2013, 06:30 PM
E_cox310
2nd Gear Member

I bought a 2006 GT Premium a couple years back and the Aux cord was in the center console.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:32 PM
mustangspotential
2nd Gear Member

Well there is nothing in the center console, glove compartment or anything besides a cigarette lighter. So it seems that it's compatible with an AUX port, but I suppose it has to be installed either by myself with a kit or by a place like bestbuy/pc richards etc.

As far as the TSB, I looked into it (thanks guys), called Ford for maintenance records and to check the warranty information/tsb on the VIN. The car went in for 2 in-warranty repairs (minor) recalls for the model year but wasn't fixed for the water leak problem. But the ford tech said it could not have affected the car. Since it wasn't a recall, he didn't have specific VINs for me that Ford notified had the problem.

After 7 years and 70k miles, I would think it isn't affected if it hasn't been noticed by now. Anywho, before I purchase the car, I'm doing another test drive and full look-over of the car, and told the techs to check out the water leak issue and see if it is indeed an issue on this particular stang, and they said they would prior to me purchasing it.

The car is a Long Island car and it rains plenty here throughout the year. I would figure that if it was an issue, it would have been already. I guess I could be wrong though, so having the Ford techs check it out hopefully makes sure there is nothing wrong.

Last edited by mustangspotential; 03-20-2013 at 07:54 PM.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:45 PM
E_cox310
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustangspotential
Well there is nothing in the center console, glove compartment or anything besides a cigarette lighter. So it seems that it's compatible with an AUX port, but I suppose it has to be installed either by myself with a kit or by a place like bestbuy/pc richards etc.

As far as the TSB, I looked into it (thanks guys), called Ford for maintenance records and to check the warranty information/tsb on the VIN. The car went in for 2 in-warranty repairs (minor) recalls for the model year but wasn't fixed for the water leak problem. But the ford tech said it could not have affected the car. Since it wasn't a recall, he didn't have specific VINs for me that Ford notified had the problem.

After 7 years and 70k miles, I would think it isn't affected if it hasn't been noticed by now. Anywho, before I purchase the car, I'm doing another test drive and full look-over of the car, and told the techs to check out the water leak issue and see if it is indeed an issue on this particular stang, and they said they would prior to me purchasing it.

The car is a Long Island car and it rains plenty here throughout the year. I would figure that if it was an issue, it would have been already. I guess I could be wrong though, so having the Ford techs check it out hopefully makes sure there is nothing wrong.
I meant to say glove box. My aux chord came out of there

Quick Reply: My new (probably) 06 Mustang GT