Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

New to the forums, buying a 2013, need help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 01:54 PM
RWDtech
1st Gear Member

Default New to the forums, buying a 2013, need help!

If this thread belongs elsewhere...please move it accordingly. Thank you.

Hey everyone.

I have been away from car hobby since 2007 due to college, new job, new home, etc. I've been working for about 3 years now as an engineer and have saved up enough cash to buy a Mustang (straight cash to be honest), but to build my credit I will be putting $15k down (was able to get 3.9% through Ford). I have been looking for while for a Race Red GT, 6 speed, non-premium (in fact, as lowly optioned as possible). I am a Ford X-plan member since I work for NTN Driveshaft (we make a lot of CV Joints for Ford) and intended to use this discount. After getting dicked around by several dealers here in Indiana, I found this '13 GT in Nashville Illinois:

Name:  mustangsticker1.png
Views: 81
Size:  68.2 KB

Name:  mustangsticker2.png
Views: 81
Size:  72.0 KB

This Mustang with the SYNC option and Brembo Brakes/wheel package would typically be out of my budget, but they are listing it for $28,900. I immediately called to see if it was priced wrong or if there was some sort of catch. Turns out no...after Indiana 7% sales tax and all the fees, he quoted me an out the door price of $31,500. This is $500 cheaper than a no-option base GT a dealer was trying to sell me in Indiana..WITH my xplan pricing. I thought about it, and called back, put down a $500 deposit and told them I would be there Wednesday (4/3) to buy. The reason why I did this so quickly was because it was almost 6pm on saturday and the dealer was closing. The dealer did mention that the Ford rebates will change on Monday and that if they changed drastically, he would refund my deposit. He sounded very nice and said the last thing he wanted was me telling a bunch of people not to buy from him.

I am over all pretty excited, but a bit nervous. This is below invoice for the car and I didn't even use my x-plan discount. He said the car is new, never been titled, and never had any damage to it on the lot or anything. The reason I am worried is because I was looking at a new Mustang in Ohio that had about $1000 of damage to it on the lot that was repaired. Should I be worried?

Another thing I am concerned about is the front plate. Apparently it is required in Illinois, so the car already has a front plate mount. I don't want a front plate and will have it removed, BUT how does it mount to the bumper? Will there be empty drilled holes in the front of the bumper? This is enough to turn me off towards the car. I ask because a few cars I've owned in the past had drilled holes on the bumper, and it drives me nuts.

My final concern if I buy the car, is the drive home. It will be a 4 hour drive, all highway. I know all-highway driving during a break in period can be bad.... What do you guys suggest I do for this?

This is my first time buying a brand new car, so thanks for any help guys!!

Old 03-31-2013, 02:25 PM
96t-bird
5th Gear Member

Hi, congrats on your new ride. Do not think the drive will be a big deal on the car.I am sure you will be stopping to make a bathroom break or eating. As far as the bumper, everyone i have seen, when you remove the bracket has some king of holes. Can you get the dealer to repair them? You are basically buying a new $30 plus car.Dealer will probably do a lot to make you happy. Good luck, and enjoy.
Old 03-31-2013, 02:45 PM
RWDtech
1st Gear Member

Awww bummer
I don't even know how they would fix it without removing the bumper. And its usually very hard to get a bumper back on without having any added gaps
Old 03-31-2013, 02:49 PM
UberDuper
1st Gear Member

You can get bumper plugs to fill them. They look alright.
If you're going to put stripes on it, that'll cover them fine.

Highly unlikely that the dealer will repair them for you.
Old 03-31-2013, 03:12 PM
RWDtech
1st Gear Member

And does anyone know what the factory rear gear ratio is? I thought I read it was 3.31:1...but wanted to be sure
Old 03-31-2013, 03:22 PM
UberDuper
1st Gear Member

iirc, anything with the brembo pack gets 3.73
Old 03-31-2013, 03:23 PM
DocSnickers
3rd Gear Member

Not priced wrong at all I got my 2013 GT premium for 34. It's got track package, heated seats, led floor panels and pony lamp mirrors.
Old 03-31-2013, 05:46 PM
Barrie
2nd Gear Member

Congrats and welcome to MF.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:12 PM
RWDtech
1st Gear Member

What do you guys think about getting a car from a dealer that is 4 hours away? What if I had some major transmission or engine failure just outside of warranty? Typically dealers will cover it under a "goodwill policy" (Ive worked for dealers before, this is true) but I don't think a local Ford dealer would do that unless I bought the car from them...
Old 03-31-2013, 09:45 PM
DocSnickers
3rd Gear Member

I know the clutch is not covered under the standard warranty you have to get the service plan to have that covered. Did that with mine which covers all major factory maintenance well you pre pay for it in a sense extra 30 bucks a month. But with it covering the clutch I went with it. Have to teach my wife to drive a manual since she wants to get a mustang here in a year or so.

Quick Reply: New to the forums, buying a 2013, need help!