Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

'06 GT spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 08:28 AM
Wendlandt

Default '06 GT spark plugs

I have 76k miles on our GT, runs fine, no issues. Should I consider having the plugs changed out about now or wait? Locally at a Ford dealership they want over $400 to do it. What type of plug should I replace the originals with? Thanks for any help or advice.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:57 PM
Tonyjsir

bro dont have some one change the plugs for you , (do it your self, ) its easy man. get e3 plugs, they will run about 70 bucks a set, (spark plug tread) lmao
Old 04-04-2013, 03:19 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Tony 05 to early 08 are not easy if you don't know what you are doing. There is a potential to create an expensive problem if you take them out wrong.

Wendlandt - Don't pay the dealership to do it. They don't guarantee they won't break any, and if they do, they won't pay for the work to fix it.

05 to early 08 you MUST be careful when you change the plugs. Ford used a two piece plug design with a long reach non-threaded head on the plug that has been known to get stuck in the head and break. If you break a plug, all is not lost but you will need a special tool to get what's left of the plug out of the head without needing to remove the entire head...

http://www.phila.gov/fleet/Warranty%...-06%20FORD.pdf

I replaced the factory crap plug within the first 10K miles when I bought the car with Champion one piece plugs. Never looked back since.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:40 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

[QUOTE=Derf00;8186763]Tony 05 to early 08 are not easy if you don't know what you are doing. There is a potential to create an expensive problem if you take them out wrong.

Wendlandt - Don't pay the dealership to do it. They don't guarantee they won't break any, and if they do, they won't pay for the work to fix it.

05 to early 08 you MUST be careful when you change the plugs. Ford used a two piece plug design with a long reach non-threaded head on the plug that has been known to get stuck in the head and break. If you break a plug, all is not lost but you will need a special tool to get what's left of the plug out of the head without needing to remove the entire head...

http://www.phila.gov/fleet/Warranty%...-06%20FORD.pdf

I replaced the factory crap plug within the first 10K miles when I bought the car with Champion one piece plugs. Never looked back since.[/QUOT

I also went with the one piece Champion plugs. My '06 now has 108K miles and is on it's second set of Champions. No problems at all.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:14 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Isn't it ridiculous that a Ford dealer won't guarantee their work on a ford vehicle! If they have no faith in the product, how the hell can we?

I just think it's nutz that a dealer will not cover the cost of breaking a plug on their flawed design.

I'd change the plugs yourself. Just soak the threads in pb blaster or what have you and it wouldn't hurt to run a can of seafoam in the gas tank prior to the removal. Take it up to redline a few times during that tank.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:19 PM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang
Isn't it ridiculous that a Ford dealer won't guarantee their work on a ford vehicle! If they have no faith in the product, how the hell can we?

I just think it's nutz that a dealer will not cover the cost of breaking a plug on their flawed design.

I'd change the plugs yourself. Just soak the threads in pb blaster or what have you and it wouldn't hurt to run a can of seafoam in the gas tank prior to the removal. Take it up to redline a few times during that tank.
Ford dealers are just that dealers. They are privately owned and do not make the car, only sell them. They bill Ford for the warranty work they do. All dealers are the same only in it for one thing. Profit. Can't hold the dealer responsible for a crappy design.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:21 AM
2mchtoy

Make sure you run the car before taking them out as the heat will expand them and help the process and as stated above,soak them in pb blaster. No issues.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:38 AM
akiba17
Not 100% a dick

What kind of Champions are y'all running?
Old 04-13-2013, 10:20 PM
tcmustang06

What is the best one piece plug for 06 GT 4.6 ?
Old 04-13-2013, 11:12 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by akiba17
What kind of Champions are y'all running?
Champion 7989

Or Autolite HT1

Quick Reply: '06 GT spark plugs