Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

drivetrain clunk/clack noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 07:25 PM
RWDtech
1st Gear Member

Haha mine too!!
Old 04-15-2013, 05:08 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ford-a-tude
Replacing the bushing on the diff must have been tough. Did you have to drop the rear to get it out or can it be done from under the car? I get this rubber banding effect if I load the drive train and quickly unload it. Like doing a quick burnout or launch and then shutting it down. The whole drive train goes chug a chug a chug a. I hate it!
It's doable on jack stands and just removing the upper arm from the axle side, but it's a bitch without the right tools.

https://mustangforums.com/forum/s197...m-bushing.html

I think the best way without removing the axle is a hole saw just smaller than the metal sleeve and then a wire wheel that is just larger than the sleeve. You'd have to go in from both sides with the hole saw and you'd still be left with a small section of rubber in the middle. The instructions tell you to burn it out, but a standard propane torch is no match for that rubber. If you could heat up a knife red hot, then that might melt through it like butter.

Adding a poly bushing on the axle of the upper control arm will eliminate the rubber band effect. That was the first thing I noticed, because I have 4.10 gears and a touchy throttle, so 1st gear was a bit tricky.

Last edited by moosestang; 04-15-2013 at 07:23 PM.
Old 04-16-2013, 03:29 PM
RWDtech
1st Gear Member

Ouch, seems like a whole lot of work for minimal gain. I guess I'll just deal with it. I can't hear it with the radio on
Old 04-16-2013, 05:33 PM
Gary Ugarek
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by RWDtech
Ouch, seems like a whole lot of work for minimal gain. I guess I'll just deal with it. I can't hear it with the radio on
The cure for all noises... TURN IT UP!
Old 04-16-2013, 06:51 PM
RWDtech
1st Gear Member

lol

wow u can't post anything shorter than 5 characters...
Old 04-17-2013, 10:05 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

I have a 2013 Mustang GT, 6 speed manual with 700 miles on it. I've noticed a clack/clunk when shifting 1-2, 2-3, and sometimes 3-4 or when under heavy load. The only way to avoid it is to let off the clutch very slowly with a lot of slip...and even then it still makes a slightly noticeable clack. Not sure if its coming from the clutch or backlash in the rear end. Is this normal build quality or should I take it to the dealer for a warranty claim? Thanks guys!
Hi RWDtech,

I’d like to escalate this to the customer service manager for your area. Please make an appointment with your dealer and PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number so I can help.

Deysha
Old 04-18-2013, 08:41 AM
RWDtech
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by FordCustomerService
Hi RWDtech,

I’d like to escalate this to the customer service manager for your area. Please make an appointment with your dealer and PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number so I can help.

Deysha
Thank you for the concern. I initially planned to take it in this week but have been unable to due to heavy thunderstorms and hail. I am keeping it garaged until it clears up next week. I will PM you per your request next week. Thanks!
Old 04-19-2013, 08:09 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Thank you for the concern. I initially planned to take it in this week but have been unable to due to heavy thunderstorms and hail. I am keeping it garaged until it clears up next week. I will PM you per your request next week. Thanks!
No problem, RWDtech! PM me when you’re ready.

Deysha
Old 04-23-2013, 08:25 PM
Zevox

I bet its the driveshaft. I'm going to get under the car and twist it while in gear and see if it makes the noise.

I also get a clack when in neutral and I press up and down n the clutch. It can be heard from inside the vehicle. I've owned manual transmission cars before and never heard clutch noise while depressing. I know its the clutch and flywheel smacking, but should it be this loud?

I will take the car in this week.
I just picked up my '14 and am getting a lot of "clunking" when pushing the clutch in during neutral, into 1st, and 1st-2nd shifts. Thought it was weird I didn't hear it on my test drive, might have been more worried about everything else than random noises. Keep us informed on what you find out if you take your car in so I can know what I need to do for mine
Old 04-26-2013, 10:50 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by Zevox
I just picked up my '14 and am getting a lot of "clunking" when pushing the clutch in during neutral, into 1st, and 1st-2nd shifts. Thought it was weird I didn't hear it on my test drive, might have been more worried about everything else than random noises. Keep us informed on what you find out if you take your car in so I can know what I need to do for mine
Hello Zevox,

Welcome and congrats on your new ride! My name is Deysha with Ford Service. Please bring your vehicle in to your Ford dealer for diagnosis and PM me with your VIN, full name, mileage, dealer, and best daytime number so I can escalate this to the customer service manager for your area.

Deysha

Quick Reply: drivetrain clunk/clack noise