Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Need HELP ASAP- LCA ?'s!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 10:13 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

129 Ft Lbs on stock bolts designed to torque to yield at 72 ft lbs
is way too much for the OEM bolts.
They have now been torqued and yielded far past what they were
ever designed for....
Not good at high speeds.

72 ft lbs and generous portions of Blue Loctite would have worked nicely.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:09 PM
Minion
2nd Gear Member

This project just will not end. So, I jacked the car up thinking I might of put the LCA's on wrong (left and right etc) well, they are fine. I was going to lower the torque but I know most LCA's call for 129 ft pounds and they are fine. Also Sam the guy that sold them to me thinks Ill be ok.
Anyway, on my way to work I hear what sounds like brake pads on rotors grinding. I thought maybe that was the noise sometimes people hear and it was supposed to be "normal" but I just couldn't ignore it. So, as I'm typing this the car is up on jack stands and no tires. I get the bright idea to drive the car while on stands so I can have a good listen to what is going on....the rear brake pads are rubbing the rotors...no doubt about it. maybe its been doing this all along and I can just notice it now? Most likely unhooking and hooking up the emergency brake cable is the problem. I have no idea how I could of screwed that up....but I'm getting a slight grinding noise. Any suggestions while my car is still up in the air and the tires are off?
Thanks,
Old 04-24-2013, 11:14 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Break out the dial indicator and check for excessive rotor run-out.
Could it also sound like bad axle bearings?

http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=112&viewfil...20-%20Rear.pdf
Old 04-25-2013, 07:14 AM
Minion
2nd Gear Member

I took my car to the dealership to be worked on under warranty. my passenger side power seat stopped working and I noticed half my axle is covered in grease (gear oil). I told them about the brake pads in the back and they will check them out. I did uninstall the LCA's and install them again....for whatever reason they sounded quieter and kept getting quieter the more I drove it. hopefully it will just go away. thanks.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:16 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

My axle has always puked gear oil through the vent. I just ignore it. You'll find a plethora of ford vehicles puking gear oil if you do a google search.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:34 PM
Minion
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang
My axle has always puked gear oil through the vent. I just ignore it. You'll find a plethora of ford vehicles puking gear oil if you do a google search.
I guess the vent is covered and will be replaced...they need to order parts.

and for the brake noise it seems to be going away. ...looks like all is well
Old 04-25-2013, 07:32 PM
Ford-a-tude
2nd Gear Member

Not sure if it would cause noise, I suppose anything is possible. You say it was on jack stands. Where we're the jack stands placed when you tightened the bolts? If they were under the rear axle and the weight of the vehicle was being supported by the suspension then it should be fine. If the stands were under the body of the vehicle and the suspension was "Hanging" when you tightened everything then the rubber bushings can bind when you then put the weight of the car down.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:53 AM
Minion
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ford-a-tude
Not sure if it would cause noise, I suppose anything is possible. You say it was on jack stands. Where we're the jack stands placed when you tightened the bolts? If they were under the rear axle and the weight of the vehicle was being supported by the suspension then it should be fine. If the stands were under the body of the vehicle and the suspension was "Hanging" when you tightened everything then the rubber bushings can bind when you then put the weight of the car down.
Yeah, I read that someplace. I had the stands on the axle. so, I was good there. I can still hear the brake pads lightly scraping. if I have the radio up or the top down I can't hear it...but its weird knowing its there. next mod will be some dynamat and I think Ill be good.